Home Depot Planes

verhoevenc

I don't think that Home Depot will have the people on hand to prep wood like that.

It's interesting that you bring this up. I've just recently had to look around for someone to help me do some thickness sanding. I've tried the local lumber yards, and the local saw mill. They directed me to a cabinet maker in town and he is going to run my rough cuts through his stuff.

Let your fingers do the walking. Call each place and ask them about planing or thickness sanding for you. If they can't do it, get them to recommend someone. That's what I did and 3 phone calls later I found the right man for the job.

Jehle, thats good advice. I have been planning on doing the same thing, trying to find someone to do some planeing and such for me. I supose now that I have a good pile of stuff to be worked on now is the time. Did your guy give you a price?

well the place where i got my wood (in San Jose) had a shop where they cut my pieces and planed the pieces all for 4 dollars, so i would thinkl that planing was at least half so 2$ to plane a piece of flat wood (for the neck). but then i got ripped when we realized that the sticker on the front isnt how much per board foot it is, but how many board feet it is.

southern lumber, pretty good store, has a varriety of exotic woods, and they plane and cut for cheap, a tad expensive but not unreasonable (40$ for 2 pieces of alder for a body compared to 30 online)

wait is southern lumber global wood source? i think i saw a sign in front oif their door, is it on first street?

I needed some wood rough cut and planed for a table awhile back.

After making a couple calls I found someone.

I brought the wood and some beers and talked to the guy for about 15 minutes and we just drank the beer and talked about building afterwards.

I made a friend B)

"BEHOLD! The power of beer!" :D

TrueRussian558,

I don't think they are the same place. Global Wood Source is at 1575 Terminal Avenue. Their website is www.globalwoodsource.com. I went there this morning and picked up two very nice pieces of swamp that were very light weight and nicely grained. I also got a one-piece blank of alder. The swamp was a bit pricey at $5.50 per BF ($40.70), but the alder blank was inexpensive at $3.40 per BF ($16.15). I asked if they could plane and they said no and they didn't know anyone who would. I then went to Home Depot and they didn't have a planer/joiner for rent and they didn't know of anyone who could do it for me either. Finally, I went to Lowes and happened to walk by the power tools on my way to the lumber area and noticed a small planer/joiner for $199. I couldn't resist. Not the cheapest solution, but boy it sure did a good job. I now have glass smooth and perfectly level surfaces for glueing. This is the model:

http://www.delta-tools.net/del376varspe.html

I'll try and post pics of the wood blanks later.

Best Regards,

Mike.

must not be the same place but im saying that they planned and cut for 4 bucks total, plus they have woods like purple heart, zebrano(zebra wood) and some others, plus they can plane bandsaw and join wood. but that alder you got was cheap since i the one i got was 2 pieces of alder that was the right thickness (they dont have stuff over 15" wide in that thicknes)

btw www.southernlumber.com and click on services-millwork to see what they do