CUTTING TRUSS ROD CHANNEL

Hi

When cutting a truss rod channel in a neck,do you use some sort of jig to get it deeper in the centre or just keep adjusting the router as you go.

TIA.

Greg

i use a 1/4" bit with no shimming, have done it three times now and no problems yet.

as far as traditional rods are concerned, i was thinking, could`nt you just do a graduated route and then smooth it using a narrow chisel? just a thought

If you think you 'need' the special router bit for Stewmac's truss rod, then I also have a special Robertson-head screwdriver that you really need for... er... special 'guitar-grade' screws. Only $60 shipped. Let me know if you're interested.

Greg

its just a lot more work and the benefits are non exsistent, as tyhe 2 dif types of rods function the same

that's not true. They do not function the same and many builders claim there's a difference in sound between the conventional (read: fender) and "hotrod" trussrods.

If you think you 'need' the special router bit for Stewmac's truss rod, then I also have a special Robertson-head screwdriver that you really need for... er... special 'guitar-grade' screws.  Only $60 shipped.  Let me know if you're interested.

Greg

you can do it in 2 passes with a smaller bit size of course...the bit stewmac carries for it is easier...but i am not one of those who thinks it is "okay" to rout a BIG channel and shim it at both ends

if you do that then imo you should just buy a really cheap mass produced guitar,because that is the sort of thing i see on them all the time,and they can build it alot cheaper than you can

the only reason i started to build my own guitars is because of the quality difference

if you are just going to slap it together with no regard for tolerances then you will never come out cheaper than what you can buy

you can,however,build a top of the line guitar with tight tolerances and just the specs you want ALOT cheaper than you can buy one.

and if you are building to sell with oversized truss rod channels and such,then why should anyone buy from you,as opposed to the mass produced crap you can get for $300 at any guitar center

Sure,

But I have a smaller bit and will do it in multiple passes. Rant noted, though. :D

As for why make instead of buy? I guess if quality is your BIGGEST concern, that's certainly one perspective. Another is that I probably won't be making guitars that surpass mass-produced ones for a while... but I still enjoy the process. Why should you buy a guitar from me (I know it wasn't me--Greg--me, but for others like me)? You shouldn't. I'm doing it for myself and possibly as gifts for friends. I'll gladly refer potential customers to the commercial luthiers who frequent this site. B)

Edited by GregP

Concerning the routing of the channel for the hot rod truss.....I've read all the posts on multiple passes with undersized bits and all the rants on the over-priced inferior-quality Stew-Mac router bits.......Here is the deal.....The Hot Rod Truss requires a 7/32in channel, right?......I just measure the brass blocks on a 24in rod and that's the correct measurement.......@5.54mm......Why not just get the correct router bit and save a lot of extra work!

Whiteside makes a solid carbide 7/32in straight bit for @$17.......catalogue #sc13.....These bits are of the highest quality.......If you can't find a dealer or find them on the internet...send me the $$$$ and I'll get it for you!....I'm usually at my supplier on Saturday mornings.

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog/CatalogHome.asp

Frued also makes bits in increments of 1/64in......Home Depot may even have a 7/32in straight bit in their frued display case.

Remember....WORK SMARTER.....NOT HARDER!!!!!!!

I agree with that, too. In my neck of the woods, there were no proper sized bits to be had, so I'm hoping to make do with the next best. If I could have found a 7/32" Freud bit, trust me I would have bought it. :D

The carbide on Stew-Mac bits is not as high a grade and dulls easier......You will notice the difference if you would use a Whiteside or other "name" bit....I quit using my Stew-Mac bits after the first project I used them on....It was the bit with bearing set for cutting binding ledges....BTW.....The bearing wasn't too good either!

Upcut and downcut refer to the direction in which the bit ejects the cut material from the route....example....If you would be routing a channel for a truss rod, an upcut bit would be a better choice because it would pull the sawdust out of the route,cleaning the channel, thus, giving you an easier path and greater visibility.

As for compression bits......WHO KNOWS!!!!...There are so many specialty bits and toolings for commercial and industrial applications, you'd have to be a sales rep for the tooling companies to know these special bits exist!

As for the changing depth of the truss rod channel (original post), just sand yourself a wedge of the right thickness and taper, cut a slot in it for the bit, and then stick it to the top of the neck blank with double-stick tape. Works great if you're using a hand-held router.

Thanks guys for all your input.

The truss rod I am going to use for my first neck is the Stewmac hot rod and the channel is straight ,but I was interested in how you would rout out the deeper part in the centre with other truss rods.

Great info in this forum.I have learnt heaps just from reading the discussions .Its amazing how many people build or are interested in guitars .

Thanks again

Cheers

Greg

• 4 weeks later...