Should I make this?

I was looking at Warwick basses the other day, and I know they are an aquired taste, but I thought to myself something similar for a guitar would not be such a bad thing.

Anyway I knocked up some quick doodles of what I thought it would look like, and basically i just want some suggestions.

Concept thingy

What do you think, I don't like the look of the sunk tele pickup but I can't think how else to do it and keep the carved top.... unless I go in from the back and lose the trem.... hmmmm.

Spec as follows: One piece lacewood body, bolt on strat neck (ebony board), hot tele pickup for bridge, Some kinda mellow neck humbucker and a two post trem.

I'm too dumb to make my own descisions so help me out.

Well thats the rub, i'm not sure if I do like it! I just like making things that are at least a little bit different.

I really want a tele pickup, and a trem, but no pickguard and i'm trying to think of the best way of doing things.....

Musing to myself!

I'm not a big fan of the man himself but the ibanez JS models are very good looking. Maybe if I make this as a dual humbucker guitar i'd have an easier time. But where's the fun in that?

Much to my girlfriends despair this might be my summer project! Shame my "shop" is my kitchen as well. Ha! :D

The concept is OK, but the image probably doesn't do justice to what's in your head. I can see where it could be taken to a good thing with a wee bit of tweaking.

I also thought of the JS right off the top, which is a great guitar.

Greg

i reckon you`ll need to change the proportions of the body to make it look 'right' and then after all that its not really gonna look like the warwick anymore... but i think the concept has real potential and i`d be very interested in seeing it develop. :D

Your Tele bridge pkp is upside down. :D

I don't like the control layout, I think it would be odd, or uncomfortable, to get to controls figured like that, I like my lever switches up front of the pots, and that back pot would be pretty hard to get to.

I do believe in making controls that are as user friendly as possible, and as a secondary trait, look as cool as possible also. That 'all in one straight line' concept might look nice, but I wouldn't want to actually use it. Too awkward for me.

I like it overall, but the Tele pkp is out of place, and in that scenario, with no Tele bridge plate and using Lacewood as a body wood, it wouldn't sound -anything- like a Tele bridge pkp anyway, so I'd drop that idea too. Everything about it is going against a Tele sound anyway, so you'd really be tracking down the wrong path installing a Tele bridge pkp in that.

So overall:

1) Like the body design

2) Don't like the control layout

3) Tele bridge pkp is a waste of time on that, pick something else.

So it's a thumb bass but... not?

The angles of it seem a little off. There are 4 lines that should relate nicely (in my book):

Tips of the horns

deepest points of cutaways

farthest in points of waist

widest points of "butt"

If the lines create a pleasant visual sweep, then that's a GOOD thing.

They look more or less parallel on yours, if they are, maybe take the whole thing, and skew it so that the top half is farther toward the neck (line angles more acute in comparison to "base line" on treble side)

I hope that made sense...

Excellent, top comments all. Maybe I like my tele pickups upside down! Hmmm I checked the anderson site, but maybe I still got it wrong! B)

Well work is slow today so i'll get to work tweaking it and see what I come up with.... The control layout was kind of just plonked on i'll give that a bit more thought.

I love it when a plan comes together :D

Well, i've revised it a bit, you'll have to imagine an extensively carved top though and a nice deep amber/orange stain!

What about this then has progress been made? Feel free to have atweak of the image and send me the results if you want.... lets go interactive.

Take a look....

• 4 weeks later...

Further revisions!

I'm reopening this tired old thread! I've decided it's time to journey into the scary world of neck making (apart from the fingerboard... buying that pre done) and I reckon this project is going through neck.

I've heavily revised the original design to the point that i'm mostly happy with it.

Any ideas? What potential problems am I going to have here? Should I substitute wenge for Walnut? (I want a dark wood) and does anybody hate the design? I've looked at a strat, parker fly, Warwick bass and Ibanez JS for the body. I'm reusing the parts from my first guitar that is also in the album (which is now apple green) so the pickups and bridge are staying 'cos I like 'em! There will be a switch as well but I haven't put it on yet!

Check the link and let me know before I charge off and buy the stuff, cheers!

i wasreminded of the JS ibanez model, which i love, and i am trying to make my RG looklike. THe horns seem out of place, i think they need some curve. also a 3x3 would look nice, (PRS style?)

i like the neck through color thingy idea, especially in the headstock, but that would look cooler with a 3x3 you know, semetry

I don't think I have ever really thought too much of the Thumb basses look. I do love playing them though. The shape and contures of the body, and narrow neck are nice. Kinda like Ibanez Soundgear, but with a little more weight and a lot more sustain. I don't know how the design lends itself to guitar so much, but I guess that just would depend on how you play.

Your design pics are lookin great. I am sure you will find the look that you are after before too long. Lots of great ideas.

P.S. If you have never messed with Wenge, and this is your first shot at a neck through. Make sure your blades are sharp and you have plenty of HP on your motors. That stuff is tuff as nails and can be a challenge. Walnut is like butter by comparison. I am building a neck through 5 string bass with Wenge and I wish it was as easy to work as Purpleheart. Just my opinion.

Have fun! Fryguy :D

Cheers everyone, the wenge warning is a good one, would the walnut and maple combo be strong enough for a neck, or should I go for something harder?

The horns I guess are a personal thing, I dind't really want to angle them because I didn't want it to look too much like an RG or strat, but the rejig looks good all the same. :D

There are a lot of Maple necks out there (hard maples), I really like the look of regular quarter sawn with little flecks, birdey Maple or flamed. I think a string of Walnut adds a little flair (allthough I think it is very similar to maple as far as strength). One or two strings of Wenge,Purpleheart,Bubinga,Redheart,Yellowheart, Blackwood, Ebony and a many other unique high strength woods are options if you really want a little extra stiffness. You don't need as much strength for a guitar as you do with a bass. Mahogany is used for guitar necks and it is no where near as stiff as hard Maple.

My suggestion is to go get $20 worth of wood and start working on that neck, if ya change your mind, start over. Heck your only out a few bucks and maybe in the process you will discover what you are lookin for. If ya wanna try some of the hard exotics, go for it. Thats how you learn, and get inspired.

Peace, Fryguy :D