Bandsaw alternatives?

Router with top bearing pattern bit (some possible depth issues)

Jigsaw (edges aren't 90 degrees)

Break out the coping saw! (not reccommended)

Go to a local college, cabinetry/carpentry store, mill, or lumberyard and either borrow their bandsaw or have them do it for you,

you guys missed the best alternjative, a scroll saw.

it is powered and move the part you are working one instead of the tool, plus its useful for small jobs, like making your won truss rod cover and other more presice jobs that a bandsaw cant do or you risk cutting your fingers off, or it being not precise. also its better because you can cut shapes out aof a block without going in from the sides (like for making templates), you drill a pilot hole and then take off the blade and replace it through the pilot hole, quick and easy.

drill holes all around .keep around 1/8" outside the body outline. Then cut the parts between the holes with whatever will do the job; Jig-saw, coping saw, etc

Then use the router to clean it up, or sandpaper. But I always keep the sandpaper to a minimum, because it's way too tedious trying to remove 1/8" of wood with sandpaper.

You probably should have listed tools that you DO have, or have access to.

Rob

i got my little bandsaw FOR FREE from a construction company who closed its workshop B)

it's a small three-wheeled metabo thingy but great for body-forming!

go and ask joiners or carpenters or look for those lil machines on the 'bay, good luck! :D

eddie

What i noticed when i built my bass was that time and money are inversely proportional to each other...

The more time you spend, the less it potentially costs and vice versa. The more you spend on tools, generally the quicker the project will move along.

I made the big mistake of sacrificing some quality to improve time and cost together.

What im trying to say i guess... is that you could use a lot of sandpaper, but to get good results it would take you a hell of a lot of time. Alternatively you can spend a little money on the right tools and the job will take less time.

Like these guys say.. find a bandsaw or scroll saw to save a lot of time, but if you have the time to spare, you can try a hand saw of some kind.

hope that helps... or at least makes some sense :D

B)

Man, there is no way I would want to try and cut a 2" thick body blank (or 1.800") with a scroll saw. It would barely fit under the head at the bottom of the stroke (that really sounds sick doesn't it?) that would be sloooooow going I think and I've got a wicked scroll saw. Besides, a good scroll saw can cost nearly as much as a band saw in the end anyway.

LGM is right on the money with this one. I sure wouldn't dare try to cut out a 2" hardwood with one either, you'll more than likely burn it up, burn up your wood, or break blade after blade in the process. If you don't have a bandsaw, use a jigsaw but make sure you cut enough away from your line so that any play won't cross over into an area that wasn't suppose to be cut, somewhere around 1/4"-1/2" away is safe. Then use a template and flush trim router bit to finish it out.

I must have a ****-tastic jigsaw (which... actually, I DO!), because my scroll saw does a superior job to my jigsaw, which isn't bad quality. I'd rather use the scroll saw any day.

On the other hand, a bandsaw's the way to go, and there are places you can go to borrow/rent time on theirs.

Greg

I use my very old Dremel Moto Shop scroll saw. I have a 16" Delta bandsaw but I'd rather put the wear and tear on the cheaper saw. You can buy a moto shop on ebay for about $25.00 and I have to say it is money well spent. If you're lucky enough to get all the attatchments that go on it, you could build a complete guitar with nothing else. They feature a disc sander attatchment, a buffing wheel, and a flex shaft attatchment that you could get a router base for, and many more. I was lucky, my grandfather-in-law bought one brand new with all the attatchments and never used it. It's now mine and I wouldn't use anything else to cut the bodies with. I have already bought 2 more in case something happens to this one.

As long as the tool you use is properly set up and adjusted for the job at hand you shouldn't experience any problems. So long as you're not trying to cut a 2 1/2" slab of purpleheart with a $10.00 single speed "Handi-Works" jig saw with cheap Black and Decker blades that you bought at walmart, 10 for $1.50.

I've burnt the motors on many a jigsaw trying to cut body blanks, and will never do it again.

But, that's just my experience and my opinion. :D