stellar brand guitars??

• 3 years later...

No apologies for resurrecting this thread, as it's exactly the question I was going to ask anyways. : )

Take a look at the axe in question: http://www.stellarguitars.com/mars003_burgendy.htm

I've always liked the Explorer body style, so I decided to pick up a Stellar 'Mars 003' off eBay for $200 + free shipping. I figured that I'd be tearing it apart to customize it (that was, indeed, the entire purpose), but after playing around with it, I decided that I like it and that I would rather refinish an older guitar of mine instead.

It's been too long gone now for me to recall what a real Explorer feels like, but this one is big and heavy. The neck is huge, like trying to play a baseball bat. The frets are jumbo (I prefer something a bit lower). I'm not incredibly 'tonally oriented', but I would call the sound 'searing' rhythm. Not terribly bright, but bridge pickup position gives a decent lead tone, though I wouldn't call it soloist.

As for aesthetics, the color and finish of the body was surprisingly attractive. Putting the sound aside, it's pretty much exactly what I would want a traditional explorer to look like, with two exceptions:

1) Pickguard countersinks weren't quite deep enough to accommodate the oval headed screws. Properly done, you could run your nail over and across them, but they sit up just enough to have a slight lip that could snag something (fingernail, loose thread from shirt cuff).

2) The finishing on the neck was mostly fine, except for the very end of the upper register. There was either excess poly/lacq or glue along the edge of the board around the 20th fret area, which looked like it had a bit of sandpaper grit stuck in it, and a small spot on the butt end of the neck (actually just the fingerboard edge) lacks any clear coat. This is the kind of error that quality control needs to get a phone call for. I've never seen something like this on mass-produced guitars ever make it to a sales floor. But who knows, maybe the eBay seller I bought from got it cheap as a reject or something (although I doubt it, as they seemed to be an eBay factory-direct front). They gave me $20 back on the deal because of the finish errors, which I accepted, but it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker for me.

The cable they give you is crap, as one would expect. The strap is re-giftable to whoever you newest guitar learning friend is.

Here are a couple pictures: Body shot, picture of my ceiling fan reflecting, front image (I'm going to customize the pickguard, hence it isn't shown), and the headstock (which I prefer to the actual Gibson headstock for this guitar) which is pretty much a dead ringer for the headstock on my Washburn KC-40V.

grain.png

grain2.png

mars003.png

headstock.png

Overall? I'm happier with it than I would have been buying a similarly priced Squire or Epiphone guitar. Looks great, sounds nice, didn't take an entire paycheck to purchase. Heavy as a dead cow.