GAHHHRRGHHH! Soldering tiny things. . .

nonamemx

Okay.

I am trying to make a piezo pickup. I have also tried making a preamp. But I cant!

Everything falls apart! nothing will stay soldered.

I have ruined my piezo from soldering and ripping the solder off too many times.

I need help. How on earth do you solder little things?

Can you give me some tips? :D

Absolutely! Give yourself every advantage you can! I use a hi-intensity lamp, a flip-down magnifier loupe over my glasses, a tiny soldering tip, one of those articulating desktop vices, and I try not to do detail work if I've had too much coffee. I always tin and twist stranded wire before trying to connect it to a solid lead, and I sometimes use masking tape to hold things in place until I can let the solder cool. But the most important thing is to practice - the more you do it, the better you'll be at it.

what solder are you using i use silver bearing solder 28 guage. very tiny stuff. and the smallest tips i can find with a 15watt iron. i do smt work all the time, not that i enjoy it but sometings require a bit of time and patience. also did you try prepping the area. sometimes i found they use the wrong solder or an incompatable type with what i use and i have to completely resolder the joint after i clean it. also what guage wire are you putting on it.i also use between a 26guage and a 30 guage wire. semi strand

if your having trouble with the solder not flowing easily then try to get hold of a can of flux. most solder has flux inside it but putting a dab extra on whatever your trying to solder will let it flow much more easilly

Could it be the surfaces? I know that some surfaces I've tried to solder stuff onto doesn't hold the solder that well 'cause of anti-oxidation coatings and what not.. Just a suggestion..

Small fingers are definately a plus, though.. :D Soldering's almost the only time I'm happy for my small hands..

I have a 30 watt iron, thats not too big is it?

I think it would be fine if I just had a better tip

and the solder is .050 diameter rosin core. It may be to big.

The biggest trouble I have is that the solder doesn't "flow". It runs and collects into a bubble at the end of the soldering iron :D

I think I tinned the end properly :D

Thanks. I will try and get a smaller tip and some small solder.

OH, and another thing. I'm trying to make a Piezo Pickup, with piezo disks. Yesterday, I had a small piezo (a bit smaller than a dime, like, 1 cm in diameter)

It worked, but was very very faint. I had to crank the little practice amp up pretty high.

1. Does it work for both electric and acoustic?

2. How delecate are they? (i think I ruined mine)

3. If you put it down on the side with the ceramic surface, will it not work? (will the crystal not vibrate if your fat finger is mashing it?)

4. Bigger Piezo = higher output?

5. 2 Piezos = higher output?

Thank you for all those who have helped me. B)

OH, and another thing. I'm trying to make a Piezo Pickup, with piezo disks. Yesterday, I had a small piezo (a bit smaller than a dime, like, 1 cm in diameter)

It worked, but was very very faint. I had to crank the little practice amp up pretty high.

1. Does it work for both electric and acoustic?

2. How delecate are they? (i think I ruined mine)

3. If you put it down on the side with the ceramic surface, will it not work? (will the crystal not vibrate if your fat finger is mashing it?)

4. Bigger Piezo = higher output?

5. 2 Piezos = higher output?

Thank you for all those who have helped me. :D

Who knows about Piezos?

i have used multiple ones and found that anything more than two per string didnt' do anything different to my ears.. still needed a preamp. but i found a jfet one that will work on like 3v lithium button cell or say an n cell battery..

fet_preamp.gif