Alright, I've gotta few LP questions

Since this is my first build, and i already have a les paul for the measurements, i'm gonna go with a les paul. I think I want a black archtop, with nickel hardware, and white binding and pickguard and all that. Since it's and archtop, do you think I should just get a thicker piece of black limba on it, and carve down, or put a top on then carve. I don't care about the wood grain(like flamed or quilted) because it's gonna be solid black. And anything else i should take into consideration before I start. Thanks

I'm not too sure about the cost of limba, or for that matter the thicknesses you can get it in, but it seems to me that a plain maple cap would almost certainly be cheaper than the same size in limba. Of course, don't get thick limba planed down just so you can stick a cap on it, but assuming thicker limba is more expensive than thinner, I'd go with a maple cap.

Also, tone counts. Some people say solid mahogany LPs sound too muddy, and a maple cap helps give it a more articulate tone. I have heard limba is a bit "sparklier" than mahogany, so I don't know if the same holds true for it regarding the maple.

[edit] one other thing to consider is that black limba is beautiful when natural, and black lacquer is black lacquer, whether (looks-wise) over 5A flame maple or plywood. My vote, if you're gonna shell out the bucks for the limba, is AT LEAST to show off the beautiful grain. I hate to see beautiful wood sprayed black. [/edit]

in my neck of the woods its kinda expensive, i got a quote and it came to like 95 for strat size blanks. my friend found some poor fool on e-gay who didnt know what he had, so he ended up with some very high quality limba for only 18 bucks and he built three bass bodies out of it. where exactly are you located, im in tennessee.

Oklahoma........The trick is don't buy it from places that charge alot of money (ahahahhaha). but seriously, don't buy it from like a guitar wood cutter. just go get the lumber. ahhh it's hard to explain, just wood isn't that expensive if you look in the right places. like lumber yards and stuff

I was also thinking of shaving my neck of the les paul I have. I hate the feel of lacquer, and why anyone would put it on the back of a neck is beyond me. when i try and slide up and down, it sorta sticks, not too much but a bare neck fender, with some sort of oil feels way better. anybody done this??

The maple cap is part of the LP's tone, it "brightens" up at bit and help with attack. If you forego the maple (or similar wood) cap, you could end up with a relatively dull sounding guitar assuming you keep the same thickness. It would be like a LP Special basically, except with a carved top.

It doesn't mean it's gonna be a bad guitar, but it will sound different.