Gawd this is pretty.....

Damn, about 6 years ago a storm knocked down a maple tree in my back yard. The reason it couldn't hold up to the strong winds, is because the tree was partly rotten. 2 freinds came and cut it all up and hauled it away. One friend kept a little and later made a chess table and stand with some of it. It was spalted maple, the neat looking kind. I can kick myself now.

Dcamp's got a point though. Sandy1070 sells alot of very nice tops for little money.

I wouldn't use spalted maple for a first project though. It's a bitch to work on.

The soft spots shrink when you look at it and some of the hard parts wear out your router bits fast....

Damn, about 6 years ago a storm knocked down a maple tree in my back yard. The reason it couldn't hold up to the strong winds, is because the tree was partly rotten. 2 freinds came and cut it all up and hauled it away. One friend kept a little and later made a chess table and stand with some of it. It was spalted maple, the neat looking kind. I can kick myself now.

IIRC, the spalt (is that the correct way to refer to it?) is just rotten parts that happen to look pretty. Anyone care to straighten me out on this one?

from what i believe,

spalt, is half rotten wood, and when sealed and such, it stops rotting, but as you see in coens pictures of his spalted strat,you can see the wood is almost on fire while routing :D

I got a big maple thats dead, but its too rotten to be used, its punky (gone soft, no jokes guys, come on)

Curtis

IIRC, the spalt (is that the correct way to refer to it?) is just rotten parts that happen to look pretty. Anyone care to straighten me out on this one?

it is a type of fungus