marshall matters

ultraman

the valvestate series was introduced in the early 1990s as a alnternative to solid state amps and expensive tube amps. This unique amp are a hybrid, having a single 12AX7 tube in the preamp with power stage being solid state. this allows most of the tonal response of a tube amp while not having to replace power amp tubes and not getting the 'cold' sound of a solid state amp. I have a marshall AVT100 but I've never heard of the 80 watt version. it's been popular as a cheaper marshall for those who can't afford the more expensive ones and it's more popular than their MG solid state series because the Mg's are problematic and unreliable. hope that helpsa little

I'm assuming your amp is a VS-8080, since you haven't given us a model #. This is what Marshall has to say:

If that's your amp, it was one of Marshall's best sellers. It was replaced by the MG80RCD. Average Ebay price is about $225.00. It's a solid state amp with a single tube (ECC83/12AX7) in the preamp - the tube is only active in the OD/Boost mode.