Slipknot tuning,help please

hey, i heard slipknot the other nite in dublin supporting metallica. they played good and heard there new song duality. im bout to learn it, but how do you tune your guitar to slipknots tuning using a cromatic tuner??

cheers, please help lads and ladetes. is there anywhere ont he net where u can hear each tuning for each string? or is there anyway u can use ur comp as a proper tuner?? i heard botu this sumwhere?

please help

for self titled and for iwoa they used a drop D with the 6th sting droped to B i think. its sometin liek that. im new so i dont know alot of guitar lingo lol

Do you mean BADGBE? Is that even a legitimate technique?

Ive tried playing a couple songs in B (B F# B E G# C#) and its sounded about right but i wasnt really getting the hang of it so it sounded rather bad, especially seeing as the strings were flappin all over the place

They used drop-B (drop-D tuned down a step and a half) on their first couple of albums. AFAIK, everything from Iowa on is in drop-A, which is down another whole step.

Going down that far, you'll probably have to beef up your strings. If you use 10's, I'd recommend going to 12's. The tension is somewhat similar and it'll be easier to adjust. A truss rod adjustment may not be neccesary, but intonation changes almost certainly will.

if you don't know how to tune your instrument to alternate tunings you need to take a step back and realize it's not rocket science, you tune your guitar to EADGBE right?, which is standard tuning...so if you have a chromatic tuner, take the low E string, and tune it down to a B, then take the A string down to a F#...and so on.

yes i do know that, but my chromatic tuner only tunes to standard. well it has a pitch button, what  is it for?

i want to know how to tune it by ear, so someone give me string to string steps on how to tune from standard to slipknots tuning?

Cheap bastard way of getting around those stupid tuners that only recognize five notes (what dipstick came up with THAT one?): You need to tune down one and a half steps. That's three frets. So what you want is for the pitch at the third fret to be what the string pitch would be in standard. Hold your 6th string down at the thid fret, then tune it down until it's an E. Now tune the other strings in relation to that one (check some other sites on how to tune using harmonics and fretted notes). After that's done, drop the 6th string down until the 12th fret harmonic is the same note as the open 4th string. That'll get you down to drop-B.

if your going from standard, your strings are going to be like wet noodles when they're that low, why not skip the down a step and a half and just do drop d? it should sound the same, just higher.

thats what i'd do...lets face it, what are the chances of you wanting to play everything that you usually play in that stupid tuning? plus try walking into a jam tuned like that! you're ok if you know where all the notes are, but if you can't tune to that without a tuner, then i guess you can't :D

Standard tuning is completely arbitrary and is based on absolutely nothing in particular. There is nothing special about it, or any other tunings. There is nothing stupid about tuning in something not standard.

Yes, this will definitely be floppy time if you don't beef up your string gauge.

Just going down to drop D isn't even remotely an option. Try playing Stairway with a capo at the third fret. You might have the right chords, but it just doesn't sound or feel right.

sure it is goin to be different, but look at it another way. if he were to tune down 1.5 steps and drop to B, get some 13's and play slipknot, what is he goin to do when he wants to play something else? I doubt there are many bands that tune to what slipknot does. so if there is a song that he wants to play in standard or standard drop d, he has to tune it up and play on those huge strings or play it down the step and a half, and that won't sound the same either. it just seems like staying at EADGBE or DADGBE is the lesser of the two evils

Cheap bastard way of getting around those stupid tuners that only recognize five notes (what dipstick came up with THAT one?): You need to tune down one and a half steps. That's three frets. So what you want is for the pitch at the third fret to be what the string pitch would be in standard. Hold your 6th string down at the thid fret, then tune it down until it's an E. Now tune the other strings in relation to that one (check some other sites on how to tune using harmonics and fretted notes). After that's done, drop the 6th string down until the 12th fret harmonic is the same note as the open 4th string. That'll get you down to drop-B.
Written by: Black Mariah

That is a way, or just go and download a computer tuner if you don't havea good working one.

Here are a couple of computer tuners.

http://www.download.com/Guitar-Tuner/3000-...tml?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.download.com/AKoff-Guitar-Assis...tml?tag=lst-0-5

http://www.download.com/EzyTuner/3000-2133...tml?tag=lst-0-6

Hope this helps ya out.

sure it is goin to be different, but look at it another way. if he were to tune down 1.5 steps and drop to B, get some 13's and play slipknot, what is he goin to do when he wants to play something else?

What is, restring and retune his guitar, Alex?

I doubt there are many bands that tune to what slipknot does.

I'm not sure where you are, but tuning to "B" is still quite popular for hard rockin' bands here in the US. Granted, not as popular as it was 18 months ago, but popular nontheless. I can think of a dozen bands off the top of my head that tune to B or lower.

so if there is a song that he wants to play in standard or standard drop d, he has to tune it up and play on those huge strings or play it down the step and a half, and that won't sound the same either.

When I was learning how to play those many moons ago, that's exactly what I did. Every time I learned how to play a new song I had to retune my floating trem having guitar (note to young kids out there, even if the guitars were RECORDED at A440, there's no guarantee that what's coming out of your speakers is actually at A440. This was especially true in the days of cassette tapes). It didn't kill me, sure it was a pain in the tookis, but I learned how to play a lot of great songs, something that I doubt I would've been able to do if I hadn't retuned my guitars that many times

it just seems like staying at EADGBE or DADGBE is the lesser of the two evils

Only if the majority of the songs he wants to learn are in those two tunings (see above about a dozen bands)

sure it is goin to be different, but look at it another way. if he were to tune down 1.5 steps and drop to B, get some 13's and play slipknot, what is he goin to do when he wants to play something else? I doubt there are many bands that tune to what slipknot does. so if there is a song that he wants to play in standard or standard drop d, he has to tune it up and play on those huge strings or play it down the step and a half, and that won't sound the same either. it just seems like staying at EADGBE or DADGBE is the lesser of the two evils

are you trying to tell him what tuning to play in? :D

i think that would be up to him...i have many guitars...all tuned to different pitches

when i get my seven string completed,i will have another one...it will be tuned to G

What is, restring and retune his guitar, Alex?

Alex? lol

anyways, im sorry guys, especially to metalthrashingmad. I really didn't mean to make anyone upset B). also, i didn't know there were has two guitars. i got to defensive of my opinion too. Sorry :D .

if you need to tune it down to that, you can tune that 6th string to B (it should pick that up since the 2nd string is normally :D then go from there, 5th string open = 6th string 7th fret, 4th string open = 5th string 5th fret, etc. as normal.

Sorry again guys.... :D:D