Is the length of a full size guitar 39"?

this question is somewhat irrelevant.

A guitar could be any number of sizes. The scale length is all that matters that makes it full size. The guitar could be 25" long if they could pull it off, and it would still be full size as long as the scale length was 25".

Then again i could make a guitar 50" long and it could be not full sized.

Perhaps he meant full size as in the proportions of the body. I think thats what he meant.

As for an answer, if it is a strat that most likely it is the same size as a real strat. Since the distance from the bridge to nut is 25", that gives you 14" to make up for the distance from the bridge to the end of the body and from the nut to the end of the headstock.

mine is 39.5", so 39 sounds about right, the differences (even though they are small) in body design and the creative liberties taken in headstock desing make the changes.

just for your refference the body i have on this copy, is exactly 16" from the end of te body (neck pocket side) to the end of the strap button

Yes, 39" is the average size for a full size solid body electric guitar ie. w/ headstock. All my guitars range between 38" and 40" . I was kind of surprised to see that my Hagstrom III is the longest as it looks like a "smallish" guitar in comparison to others. My strat is exactly 39" long.

that is an extremely irrelevent question. but yes 39 is probably average as a strat is 39 and the strat was the basis for most solidbody guitars. i have many guitars and they are all in between 39 and 42. if you look at it this way, a fender vi was about the size of a strat but it was more than a full size guitar as it had 28 inches of scale length if im not mistaken. a tenor guitar can be pretty short and it is hardly full size. this measurement of a guitar has really nothing to do with the size or playability. that is the kind of measurement that a poor fool would take while emptying out his dead grandfathers attic and selling the stuff on egay.

It is irrelevant for this reason:

OK, 'say' the proper length for a guitar is 39".

So what are you going to do with that information?

What are you going to use it for?

How will it help you in any way at all to build a guitar?

I'd love to hear the answers. :DB)

I don't think he was looking for the "proper" length of a solid body guitar (because such a figure does not exist) as much as he was wanting to know if the guitar he was looking at was basically the same size as a Fender Strat.

In reality though, the "proper" length of a guitar should be 40.25". How do I come up with this figure? Divide the length I just gave by the scale length. 40.25 / 25 = 1.618. Does anyone know what that number is? That is the Divine Proportion.

http://evolutionoftruth.com/goldensection/nature.htm

So from now on, I will only build guitars that comply with the Divine Proportion when their length is divided by their scale length. :D

j/k, but the Divine Proportion is an intriguing figure.

he was wanting to know if the guitar he was looking at was basically the same size as a Fender Strat.

Yeah. Is the 39" strat guitar copy the same as a real Fender strat, or is it a child size/junior size? It's not a hard question to answer. All I have is a crappy copy, but it's 39" to the end of the body. The headstock is kinda funny though., so I don't know if that's where it's getting the extra length, or if it's a bit bigger than the other guitar I found.

I really only care about the body. I won't be using the neck that comes with the guitar. I just want the body to be full size and not a kid's size.

you don't understand...if it is the right scale length it is full sized...if it is a shorter scale length,a full sized neck will not fit on it and the bridge placement would be wrong for a full sized neck

and as far as i know they do not make a full sized body with a 3/4 scale length anyway,because how would that be easier for a child to play?