alternatives for cutting bookmatched top

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky, I've been wracking my brain on the same problem for. . . years! But low and behold ther is an answer!!!! :D

It's called a frame saw. No, it's not a bow saw. check out This woodworking site for pictures and plans.

In fact, I just completed mine ten minutes ago. It's still in the clamps. If all goes well I'm going to try using it tomorrow to bookmatch a piece of curly maple. (I'm headed in the same direction as you.) I'll let you know how it works!

Call local Cabinet makers and ask if they'll resaw for you. it took me a while to find someone here in Maryland that can do it, but now he does it for me for free if I buy the lumber from him. and he doesn't mind dealing with the small quantities that I buy from him either. Keep calling around and maybe you'll get lucky like I did

Call local Cabinet makers and ask if they'll resaw for you. it took me a while to find someone here in Maryland that can do it, but now he does it for me for free if I buy the lumber from him. and he doesn't mind dealing with the small quantities that I buy from him either. Keep calling around and maybe you'll get lucky like I did

Scott, where in Maryland are you, I plan on buying some wood to make my guitar in a few weeks and I will like to know if the place you go is near me so that I can go there to see what I can get... I plan on making a strat type body, maybe like the soloist to get rid of the plywood one on my Squier.

I echo the recommendations on finding someone with resawing capacity. I found a hardwood supplier in my town who has a very large machine just for resawing. I bought a piece of curly maple from them and they resawed it for a $10 set up fee. You may also try woodworking schools if no luck with suppliers.

With regard to getting multiple bookmatch sets from a single blank, keep in mind there are multiple factors including the thickness of the original blank (of course), the skill of the resaw operator, the kerf of the blade, and the fact that the resulting pieces will likely need to be jointed flat on the face and then planed to thickness. Out of 6/4 rough stock, you may be able to get two bookmatched pairs 1/4' thick.

tablesaw?

How can you book match with a table saw???

If it is posible, i would love to know how to. i have a 10" table saw.

ps could you do it with a rip saw and a home made miter box?

Place you fence do the blade runs down the center of the board (whe board is going thru it on its short side, ie. width). Cut both sudes. Then handsaw thru the 2" or so left in the board.

Make sure you have the cabinet shop surface plane or drum sand the pieces to unifrom thickness, and plane the edges you want to join if you don't have the tools to do all that yourself.

We seem to be working on the same project. Here's my body blank (Maple on mahogany.) I'm still agonizing over a neck design. What do you guys think?

bodyblank1.jpg