Nuts

it will cost you 70 bucks for a nut??

it only cost me about 5 bucks for a used one that was only used once or twice

and, to make one, just go buy a hunk of bone and then you have to buy nut files and such to shape it

Curtis

Oh yeah, only used once or TWICE !!! As if they all take the same string spacing and height :DB):D

Get some scrap Corian from a counter-top shop. You can keep messing them up and probably end up with enough to finally make one right. You need the right tools, tho. 70 bucks to have a pro do it ? You must be on East or west coast. Maybe Canada.

Oh yeah, only used once or TWICE !!! As if they all take the same string spacing and height :DB):D

Yea, the guitar itself was used once or twice, it was in the show room and since the owner is my uncle he got his repair guy to take off the nut and sent it to me for 5 bucks

I'm guessing $70 is including labour...some shops are pricey...

my local shop charges an hour and a half for changing the nut and setting the guitar back up again...a friend of mine sweet talked them into making his guitar a lefty for only a half hour though

Now I haven't done this myself but I remember reading here I think that if you saw the nut in half you can use pliers to pop it off in 2 pieces...if it's cracked anyway might as well....but I could be wrong...somebody will come around and tell you how eventually

• 2 months later...

blimey you americans must really be paying through the teeth for this stuff.

here in lil' ol' britian a nut costs about 50p which is about a dollar. i recently had a nut fixed on my bass and paid a heavy price (the guy scewed it up) but next time i'll have the confidence to do it myself.

simply take a chisel (carefully) knock out the old nut, use a fine sandpaper to take out any old glue. glue in the new nut and wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth. file away any ragged bits from the nut grooves and there it is.