21 frets

ok well i have a 21 fret neck lying around in my house. Im just wondering if i can use it for a strat. It is "strat like" but i have noticed most strats are 22 frets ect...could i use my neck for that strat? or would i have to change the scale lenght? Im a newb so i might not be making any sence at all, thx anyways

coddy

The best way to tell is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret it should be 12-3/4" if you have a true 25" scale neck. Also, measure from nut to the end of the neck and if it is 18-7/16" in middle of neck then it should fit any strat body. Most 22 fret necks have the same neck pocket, they just have a fretboard extention on it that holds the 22nd fret.

NeckDimentions.gif

heeldimentions.jpg

pictures taken from Warmoth's site

its not the distance to the 12th fret from the nuit that matters, put it on and measure from your bridge to the 12th fret if its about 12.5 inches then it should be right. since the problem is the neck being too short not that its an improper scale length, and on my strat the 22nd fret is without an extension...

ohhh right your not retrofitting this on another strat, my bad, :D

its not the distance to the 12th fret from the nuit that matters, put it on and measure from your bridge to the 12th fret if its about 12.5 inches then it should be right. since the problem is the neck being too short not that its an improper scale length, and on my strat the 22nd fret is without an extension...

ohhh right your not retrofitting this on another strat, my bad, :D

yes it is, the 12th fret should be halfway between the nut and the bridge

and if the distance is 12 3/4 in. shouldn't the scale length be 25.5"? thats what strats usually are. PRS's are 25"

it should be 12-3/4" if you have a true 25" scale neck

It should be 12.5 inches. nut to 12th fret is supposed to be exactly half of scale length.

Thanks for the correction I was in a hurry to load up for the gig I played tonight when I posted that. What it should have said is 25 1/2" scale. Sorry about that.

the problem i see is that you would have to move the bridge back, because strats where disigned to end on the 23 fret, being the end of the neck (even if it isnt fretted), so if it has 21 frets, (plus 1 unfretted), it becomes too short by 1/2 and inch or so, so you would have to move the bridge back a half an inch and then intonate, unless the neck ends after the fretboard ends

Sorry, but that makes

a: no sense and

b: is generally bad advice.

Vintage strats are 21 fret 25.5" scale. It wasnt until the mid 80s that the 22 fret strat came to be. 23 frets is a figment of you imagination.

the problem i see is that you would have to move the bridge back, because strats where disigned to end on the 23 fret, being the end of the neck (even if it isnt fretted), so if it has 21 frets, (plus 1 unfretted), it becomes too short by 1/2 and inch or so, so you would have to move the bridge back a half an inch and then intonate, unless the neck ends after the fretboard ends

Maybe in Russia, but where I come from the strats with 22 frets require a fret-board longer than the main body of the neck. The 22nd fret is like that little added on laundry room on the back of a house. My main strat has 21 frets. I think it was made in the 90's (the clown who owned it before sanded the serial number off)