Pau Ferro?

I'm looking for some pau ferro as a laminate for a neck-thru bass neck. All I need is (however thick it comes) x 2 in. wide x 42 or so in.

My concern is that I want the laminate to match the fingerboard, so I am limited to the woods LMII can slot and radius: ebony (too expensive), rosewood (want a brighter tone), cocobolo(too poisonous), and pau ferro.

All my regular sources that I know of (West Penn Hardwoods, Lumberlady.com, Ebay, google search) have turned up nothing. Does anyone know where I can get some, or, even better, does anyone have some?

Any and all help is great! :D

skibum,

this won't help you with your search, but i live about a half hour from west penn hardwoods. very cool place. several months ago, they had some HIGHLY figured imbuia that was just spectacular (but not cheap). you may want to email them and ask for a pic if they have any left. i really can't explain the figure too well. all the boards i saw were different, but all cool. it smelled nice too.

gwm

jeez thats a ton of wood....  where is that place... I am drooling.

just posted a tour in the classifieds section.. it's here in dartmouth (halifax) nova scotia canada.

If you have any trouble in the future finding wood - try exoticwoods.com, galleryhardwoods.com, gilmerwood.com. They all usually have just about any type of wood commonly used in instrument building. The only one of that bunch that is a little sketchy (in my opinion) is buying figured woods from exoticwoods.com. I have had both good and bad luck with them. Probably similar to most internet suppliers that don't post pics of their wood. Any other type of wood from them should be fine.

The highest quality wood from that bunch (again in my opinion) is Gallery. He also does a lot of prep work on the wood that most other places don't do.

I think all of these are in the supplier section on projectguitar. There's others there also that you could try.

that's what i love about east coast, they'll do pretty much anything to the wood without any charge, rip, joint 2 edges and plane the other two, only time they charge is for resawing.

well actually no, they only have one fee for resawing, and it's 20$ but you can do as many resaws as you want for that, so if you buy a 12 foot board that's 6" thick and get it resawn 29 times it's still only 20$, but other then that it's free.