string care? wtf is that?

Gobbo

I don't think you would want to leave your strings in the water over night. It would cause them to corrode. I always boil them then let them sit for bout 5 minutes to let them cool, then taken them out, whipe them down, and hang them up to dry over night.

I wouldn't think twice about changing the strings on an electric guitar every two weeks. I don't know about where you all live, but my local guitar shop matches or comes close to Musician's Friends' string prices. They sell a pack for about $5-6. I don't think that $10 a month for guitar strings is bad at all. In fact, during school (I played bass in jazz band) I would change my strings every 2.5-3 months. And I get the good strings, too. DR Hi-Beams... around $32 a set.

I've read somewhere that you can boil them in (watered down I think) vinegar for like 10 to 15 minutes, dry them and then play them again for quite some time. Never tried it tho. Obviously you don't want too much vinegar and too long a duration...

so long

ace

I've read somewhere that you can boil them in (watered down I think) vinegar for like 10 to 15 minutes, dry them and then play them again for quite some time. Never tried it tho. Obviously you don't want too much vinegar and too long a duration...

so long

ace

Its more like water with a VERY small amount of vinegar. :D

On most occasions I just wipe the strings with dry cloth. But sometimes I dampen the cloth with glass cleaner/ammonia. I usually replace strings every 3-5 months and rarely would a string break on me during that time.

Using vinegar doesn't make sense to me. It's an acid, and therefore would likely cause oxidation (re: corrosion/rusting) on metal.

The vinegar (I believe) helps to dissolve and loosen all of the gunk that get in between the windings of the strings. Yes, it would cause the strings to oxidize which is why you use a VERY small amount. Personally though, I have not used vinegar because I don't want me kitchen reeking of it.