French polish progress on padauk guitar

First is a pic of the prototype in its new storage home... a used (but just like new) Johnson case I got t The Music Store for $35! It's like it was MADE for this guitar!

Boggs_DCP_2457.jpg

Next is the 3rd grain fill treatment (This stuff is hard! My hands are killing me!)

Boggs_DCP_2458.jpg

After that, it was starting the actual French polish finish... Tim was extremely helpful as always describing the technique, but I still have a lot to learn about getting the amounts of each liquid in the pad correct. I have also found that the texture of the cover will make a big difference. I am going to get some denser linen for the polish cover today before going further.

Boggs_DCP_2460.jpg

Here is a bit of the result of Saturday's polish marathon... I would like to have mine completed by the end of this coming weekend. Light IS at the end of the tunnel now! Boggs

Boggs_DCP_2461.jpg

Boggs_DCP_2462.jpg

Lookin' good! I have not tried the french polish technique before. I'm tempted to for my jazz project that's lined up next. I'm curious to see how hard the whole process is.

What's really odd is that in those pictures, you look like my uncle David. :D

BTW, this guitar should be called the "Boggs Standard". That's more of a British pun, but it's funny. B)

What's really odd is that in those pictures, you look like my uncle David. :D

BTW, this guitar should be called the "Boggs Standard". That's more of a British pun, but it's funny. B)

So, you're telling me that your uncle is one handsome, really packin' hunka manliness, eh? :D Sorry... Couldn't help myself...! B)

I'm kinda ignorant regarding the :D pun... Care to explain it to us :D and B) folk? (I've been looking for an excuse to use those smilies... ) Boggs

interesting, i've been considering this finish on one or 2 of my guitars, but doesn't it offer no protection at all? a classical guitarist here said it's an amazing finish, but he can't touch his guitar, when his right arm sits on the top of the lower bout he has to always be wearing a shirt, or his sweat will go thru the finish and then start to eat the wood?

Bog standard - as normal, not customised at all or in anyway special - toilets are pretty standard things - and they're nicknamed a bog rather than a john.

Boggs standard - one helluva guitar!

Bog standard - as normal, not customised at all or in anyway special - toilets are pretty standard things - and they're nicknamed a bog rather than a john.

Boggs standard - one helluva guitar!

Spot on. That's the kiddie.

I've just picked up the Brit slang from the forums and from my visits to the UK. Paul beat me to the explanation. :D

I finally got the process really figured out today and the shine just EXPLODED!!! The photos you see here look like a matte finish compared to how it looks now!!!!! I will wait until it is together before taking the next shots as that is when I will have access to a digital camera again... It should be done by the end of this weekend for sure!!!

A word of advice... Use only the highest quality 200thread/inch 100% cotton linen for the cover cloth you use to rub the finish in... It just seems to "dispense" smoothly at a perfect rate with little drag. I also found that using 3 toothpicks together to dip into the olive oil (which I like better than lemon oil) holds just the right amount of oil for lubricating the pad. It acts a bit like an old quill fountain pen... Very consistent and you can use the toothpick to spread the oil on the pad like a spatula. Works GREAT! Boggs

im new here, so this might seem like a stupid question. or my eyes could be way off tonight, but why is that guitar so thick?! looks to be a good 2 inches thick, probably more! the finish does look nice tho, and the guitar itself is a beaut, but it's huge, and probably weighs a ton!

It is a chambered body. Here is what the mahogany looks like under the padauk...

mahoganybody6.jpg

The overall depth of the guitar is about 2.5 inches. It is perfectly balanced. Probably weighs a bit less than a Les Paul, but pretty close due to the density of the Cuban mahogany and padauk woods. The design produces a thick, warm, live, resonant tone that you cannot get from a solid body guitar. It can also do the Strat-like tones and sustain is phenomenal. Boggs

:D The first couple of coats I did using a cut T-shirt material as the cover applicator cloth and I found that this material is too thick and coarse to really do the job which is why I went and got the 200TPI cotton linen. That just made a WORLD of difference. Also, the pad I used underneath the cover was too "wet" with shellac and alcohol on the first 2 coats causing swirls and a bit of a haze. Also, on the applications pictured, I used lemon oil for the lubricant and when I applied at home with the good cover, I also changed to extra virgin olive oil for the lubricant and I found I liked the results and ease of application a lot better. Live and learn! Boggs