Laquer wrinkling up

This is mighty strange. Just wondering what would be the cause. I'm using T-5 automotive clear laquer ala rattle can. Its not a serious problem as I can sand it back down when dry and the resulting finish is still smooth and uniform. But pretty much every time I shoot I get this immediate wrinkling effect on a few areas of the guitar. One person told me that I'm laying it down too thick but thats not the case. It happens as soon as the laquer hits the guitar. I wipe it down beforehand with a clean cloth so I don't think contamination is the problem. I'm shooting in the morning or evening now because I had severe blistering on one hot afternoon so excess temperature isn't the cause. I've used this very same laquer on other guitars with no ill effects whatsoever.

I think I had the same problem with my guitar, here are some shots, I used Duplicolor primer, base coat and clear coat so it's not a problem of compatibility. I had used this combo before for parts on my autos, and never had a problem...

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

This is a plywood Squier so I didn't care much and the clear coat is smooth so that's all I care for...

Nice pics...I've seen that guitar somewhere before...is the wrinkle from the color hitting the primer, or the clear hitting the color? My guess is the color hitting the primer...how long did you wait for the primer to dry...did you sand the primer smooth...looks like the primer did not fully cure, and the paint 'pulled' it as it dried, inside corners tend to get a heavier spray and the slight buildup could have slowed dry time in that spot...I usually let priner dry a day or two, and sand smooth with 400.

I'm getting the wrinkling between laquer coats so whats underneath is not causing the problem. I'd like to add that I've been giving 2 weeks curing time between shoots, should be long enough. And yes, its a similar sort of effect as in the pics you provided Maiden.

I say contamination probably.

Yeah, I'd guess that finger oils etc would have more of a fisheye effect, not wrinkling issues, but that top pic could be a fingerprint :D ...I use disposable glove to avoid that issue. If ya wait 2 weeks Southpa, that's more than enough...once my color coats start, I'm going after it flashes, I like to finish the paint in a day. So that rules out paint not drying under...think it's some contamination? You using gloves when you handle the body?

That's very strange. I've had the same problem before too. It was only in one spot and regardless of what I did to clean, sand or anything, the fresh coat of lacquer would crinkle like that as soon as it hit the old stuff.

I never figured out what was causeing it. I just let if dry like everything else and sanded and polished it with the rest of the guitar. You really can't see any problem with the finish at all either.

Strange. I sure would like to know what causes this.

At this stage I wear vinyl disposable gloves whenever I handle the guitar and also lay it down on a clean beach towel when sanding. When spraying I hang it by one of the peghead holes. I can't believe there is any contamination. Rattle cans are well shaken before spraying. Maybe a bad batch of laquer out there, who knows?

I laid the primer an sanded 30min later, tach cloth, and laid the 1st coat of base color, I used the color the guitar had as the "primer" and the reason I spayed a coat was to get a better adhesion for the base coat. After the base coat was dried, about 3 hr I shot the 1st clear coat. This is the same way Ihave done before on my SUV and never had this happen! I can live with it on this guitar, but when painting the LP I don't want this to happen B) , or I will be :D , and the reason you might have seen this before is because I have a thread on the inprogress area, here here you van see the progress and what I have done to it...

Southpa, I wait about 3 hrs between coats, and shoot 3 coats a day, then the next day I colrsand and start all over again, on this guitar I have about 8 coats, and since it's colorsanded every 3 coat's I will say is not too thick, but it sure gave a lot of depth to the color, I don't know but I think that waiting that much time is not necessary, check here this is the instructions that I used to do mine, although I used acrylic instead of nitro, since it wa available localy and didn't cost $12 a CAN, I paid $4, and in this 8 coats Iused almost 4 cans,

The gloves are clean. I know I don't need to wait 2 weeks between shoots, B) . Just don't have the time these days, up at 4:30 AM and just too bagged out by the time I get home. Also, I need just the right weather conditions, been too windy or rainy when I do have the time. I don't have an equipped shop w/ spray booth etc. all my "messy" work happens outside. I'm just about done with shooting anyway, just one more session, I figure, then spot filling and wetsanding. The rest is just assembly and soldering. Got the stainless pickguard and cover plate ready. One of these days I'll buy a digital camera. I got lots to show! :D

You schedule sounds just like mine, I get up at the same toime and from there I don't get back in the house until 6:00pm, but since I was doing this blue one I was coming home for lunch and starting then. Or I will start friday evening and finish thru sunday... Any who, good luck with the guitar, and get that camera so that we can see the pics of your progress...

I had a similar thing happen just a couple weeks ago. I sanded through the clear and color coat (black) into the sealer. I wiped the whole body down with naptha to get the grit off, and instant wrinkle when I layed down the color coat. I got the impression it was due to some residual naptha that hadn't dried off (I was in a hurry), but I managed to clear over it (polyU) with no trouble. Can't see it now.