Opinions Wanted

Yesterday I went shopping for wood to make a trem to hardtail, and I came across a dremel contour sander! It was the last one and I asked the sales person at Lowes, (which don't know much out of it) if they were getting more and he said that that was being there for ever and that was the last one, and had no intentions on reordering, so I grabed it and took it home, HOOOLLLLYYYY SSSMMMOOOKKKEESSSS, I am so mad at my self for scalloping the neck on my guitar with out it. I did the neck on the Paul from the 11 down in about 2 hrs taking my time! It took me twice as much to do from the 22-12 with te files-sandpaper method, and it looks way nicer. I just need a new neck for the squier to do it again, :D , but the Jackson is getting done this way as soon as I get it. I'm refinishing the RR copy today, and posting pics of the LP as soon as I get home.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the day, I got up in the morning and decided to work on the Limp RR, but after wet sanding I had to go get groceries and left the guitar outside under the back tree ( a Maple like the one Drak has :D ) and when I got bock got me a surprise that made me decide to finish this one... more details in the other thread.

I started putting the hardware and noticed that the paint needs to cure a bit more but it's hard enough to put it together. Here is a pic of the guitar complete.

DSC01185.jpg

I would have loved for it to keep all the color changes that it had, but when I applied the clear, it lost the beautiful grape purple that it had before it. underneath is a pic of the color I'm talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01005.jpg

It changes between a gold and I think a wine, suppose to be magenta but not quite.

Goldish, might add that's more cooper than gold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01190.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01190.jpg

wine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01191.jpg

On this one you can see both colors as the control side is hit by light and the other ain't

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01188.jpg

And here is a shot of the back, bare neck, you can see the cover for the old switch cavity, I left this in case that in a few years I decide to get it there again, which I doubt ... also because I didn't want to finish the whole guitar, just the top.

Ok here are the specs of this .

Body: still ain't sure, I thought it was alder, but I saw in another thread a Gibson LP, and the mahogany on that one was as light color as mine. The switch hole was filled with 2 part bondo polyester filler, the controls were recessed, ( I would love to done it deeper, but was limited by the original carving)

Neck: Slight flame maple, bare and fully scalloped( see pic on post above)

fets where leveled and polished, with a fine 10" bastard file and sandpaper from 400-2000, then polished with blue magic (this stuff is wonderfull for aluminum and SS)

Pickups: Zakk Wylde EMG set. 2 Vol, 1 Tone w/ Switch.

That's it! I love this guitar, the only thing I would had done to it was convert it to double cut away, but the hole from the switch would had looked ugly. And I played with the idea of string thru, but I decided not to because of the step string angle,

Thanks to all the ones that say it was nice looking and the same for the ones that told me I was crazy doing this to a nice LP... until the next project... a thread away.

Hey Maiden, thanks for the PM.

That looks incredible mate, who would've thought EVH would have inspired a purple and gold Les Paul. The finish looks killer, well done.

I havent been around much as Ive been working on the house................built a deck, retaining wall, new fence and gate..................not as much fun as guitars but it has to be done to keep the other half happy;)

Thanks BeAR, If I was closer to you I would go and give you a hand! Love working on decks...can't wait to get my own house to build me one...

I toyed with the idea, and like I said, after seeing yours I decided to go with it. THe only addition will be the Floyd after they come out with it next year.

Looks amazing man, im glad you went witht the crome hardware :D

Congratulations on a job well done!

- Dan

thnks Jivin, the one thing that is messing my mind now is that I don't like gold hardware but I think that it will look killer on that top. But having to change everything to gold is kinda expensive!

:D A beauty man It looks like an EHV / Zakk wylde typa guitar (best of both worlds)

Gold hardware would look nicle on it, but you'l have to get epiphone one's coz I heard gibson tailpiece's don't fit on epi's.

I see you've strung over the tailpiece like zakk!! I also did that with my epi les paul standard (because the lower string won't break that easy!)

I'm really consedering putting EMG's in it but because I'm more into metallica type of music I'll go for 81/60 combination

:D A beauty man It looks like an EHV / Zakk wylde typa guitar (best of both worlds)

Gold hardware would look nicle on it, but you'l have to get epiphone one's coz I heard gibson tailpiece's don't fit on epi's.

I see you've strung over the tailpiece like zakk!! I also did that with my epi les paul standard (because the lower string won't break that easy!)

I'm really consedering putting EMG's in it but because I'm more into metallica type of music I'll go for 81/60 combination

I checked at least with te ones from Stew and the measure is the same! I think the difference might be the studs.

This is the way I have been stringing it since I got it! Also I like the way I can rest my palm over them, not the steep slant with the strings the regualr way!

I had Seymour Duncans on it before and I can say that the EMGs sound so much better here!

Here is a pic of it with the SD's.

DSC00017.jpg

And I was planing on going withthe 81-60 but I found it too pricy to go that way. I paid 165 for the ZW, while the 81-60 was 198, since you got to buy them separately.

.....Ah......Edward Hans Valen, the long lost second cousin of Eddie

Eddie_Mummy_800.jpg

HE AIN"T MY COUSIN!!!!!

B)