PRS? Why are they considered better than others

bigdguitars

I have been online for a year now, and selling on ebay for 2 years and never had a problem with fender or gibson. I list one item under PRS and bam...

this will piss off a ton of people, I do agree with Ed roman on this point... If you have a dragon as your signature guitar wouldn't you do that yourself? not out source it?

Your now displaying the same attitude of the people, that i stated i come across all the time.

If you choose to leech of a companies name, and to sell a product you should be proud enough to market with YOUR OWN name, then at least have the decency to accept their decision on WHO THEY allow to trade off their reputation, and dont rubbish them.

Your decision to sell wood/tone switches/whatever, using PRS's name to attract attention, AND THEN GETTING CAUGHT OUT, is in no way a bad reflection on the quality of PRS, and simply screams 'sour grapes' to me.

As for the Dragon comments... Do you grow your own trees?? I suspect you buy in your components to make your Varitone switches... what a cop out. If thats your biggest line, why dont you make the capacitors yourself?

Oh, and i missed one more item from my list...

4 - Jealousy

I say WELL DONE to Paul Reed Smith. He has achieved a position NONE OF US will ever get to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all cool rhoads, no ill will intended in my post (sorry if it came off that way)just figured i would oblige (sp?). As to you MKG that was me who made the comments about the pickups. You are probably right that the PRS's I have played were not correctly outfited ones for my desire. I'll consider that point in my opinion of PRS. But what it all b iols down to on any guitar brand is personal opinion. I think we should all just agree to disagree and go have a beer! :D

thats BS rhoads. A component to a guitar is not the same thing as a whole piece of art work. Compare a transmission in a car. you can buy a truck with a GM trans or one with allison trans, GM tells you that its a allison trans.

Not the same deal.

re-read my post. Read why I was delisted. if you can honestly say that saying an item is like something, then thats your view. I have another.

So Rhoads you obviously dig the PRS thang (which is cool with me), but I was wondering If you have ever played a Mcinturf. If so I was wondering how you feel they match up and If you like them or not. Am I hijacking thethread. If so I can just start a new one!

So Rhoads you obviously dig the PRS thang (which is cool with me), but I was wondering If you have ever played a Mcinturf. If so I was wondering how you feel they match up and If you like them or not. Am I hijacking thethread. If so I can just start a new one!

Sorry, only ever seen pictures of them. They look nice.

I think you both would like them if you ever get a chance to play one. They are more plentiful here in North Carolina cuz Terry started out here (his old shop is actually a five minute walk from my workplace). But there again like I said before its all just opinion!

thats BS rhoads. A component to a guitar is not the same thing as a whole piece of art work. Compare a transmission in a car. you can buy a truck with a GM trans or one with allison trans, GM tells you that its a allison trans.

Not the same deal.

re-read my post. Read why I was delisted. if you can honestly say that saying an item is like something, then thats your view. I have another.

Sorry, you bitch and complain about the price of PRS guitars, and then winge that they should make them more expensive by doing menial tasks by hand???

Come on man!!!

PRS has made no effort to hide the fact they use CNC for the production of their guitars or the components that make up those guitars. I do not see you point, i think thats because you dont have one.

My view on your auctions, and even YOUR view on your auctions are both IRRELEVANT. If you use PRS's name, its HIS say weither you get away with it on not.

This is old,

ITS PRS copyright he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. what I think and what you think are different, so what.

My points condensed for all:

1. PRS guitars are nice and shinny - very expensive

2. Guitar Center pushes the guitar like its the best guitar ever - thats a sales persons point of view for commissions or GC has a special contract with PRS.

3. For the price, I think that there are better guitars out there.

rhoads56,

I promise I won't bitch about PRS again.

My point in this thread was to see if others have had similar experiences... I mean I hate GC and how they push guitars around...

2.  Guitar Center pushes the guitar like its the best guitar ever - thats a sales persons point of view for commissions or GC has a special contract with PRS.

I mean I hate GC and how they push guitars around...

Point to quote 1. You're right, the reason they push it is because of commission sales. If PRS were to have a special contract with GC, it would mean that PRS would probably be paying out in the MILLIONS to make it so. In no way would their selling of guitars at Guitar Center alone make up for this.

Anyway, its a non-point, the owners of GC choose what instruments to buy wholesale from PRS and then resell at their desired price, based on what amount of money they want to make off their purchase. It's how our economy works.

Point to quote 2. They're just kids. And kids (like myself) have a tendency to like shiny things. Most of the people hired at places like GC don't really know what they're talking about, and don't really receive much training. I know cuz I have a friend who used to work there. He told me himself. That's why he quit.

Guitar Center doesn't need well trained employees to make a profit, they need employees to give people cords, plug in amps, give them time to tinker and play, so that the person wants to come back, or buy the instrument, which eventually leads to some sort of sale either way.

New point. Based on the numbers of guitars they said go out in a week at the PRS factory on the DVD, my friend and I calculated not too long ago the average amount of profit that comes out of the company per year. We included everything we could possibly think of, employee pay, salary employee pay, maintenance, insurance, utilities, employee benefits, the list goes on. And after all of the expenses and payouts PRS probably makes in a year, using the base (lowest) price for a new PRS as the standard, and NOT the average (we used $1100) we calculated the company sees somewhere around 4 million a year in pure profits.

If their instruments are so over priced, surely they must be stupid. I mean come on, only 4 mil? EDIT: :D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it will be too bold to say, but I like the feel of my 300$ Pacifica better than the feel of my friend's 2700$ PRS. But maybe it is so because my friend is left handed, I don't know. It's so ironic because nobody else arround can play it.

And I completely disagree with rhoads on the phrase that no one of us will ever get to such a position. I bet I will and I will make better guitars than his.

I'm glad PRS pulls the auctions that have PRS in the title but have nothing to do with it. I get so pissed when I see all these auctions like "Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat, PRS, MARSHALL, capo". If I'm doing a search for a les paul, I get all these crap auctions that have nothing to do with it. STOP PUTTING COMMON NAMES IN YOUR AUCTIONS IDIOTS.

and quit saying they have a contract with PRS. Okay lets do a little scenerio here: You work at GC and am trying to make the most money via commission possible. How do you do that you ask??? You try to sell the most expensive guitars there. But which one is the most expensive you ask ??? Well lets see, Fender, no not expensive enough, Gibson pretty expensive but I think theres one higher, PRS ding ding ding. The most expensive non vintage guitar you're likeyly to find in a guitar shop.

I have a major thing against PRS guitars. 1. I don't like set-necks 2. they don't offer Floyd Rose 3. too much finish 4. Overpriced 5. Factory made......................I don't understand it either. There are much better guitars out there for a lot less. Personally, I have always loved Neck-thru guitars. the only good guitars PRS ever made were their pre 1994 models. They had less finish on the body and neck, and the heel on the neck was much shorter, enabling the player to touch the last fret with ease. But, as PRS grows, their quality goes down as demand goes up. Who knows, I just can't stand the people who have'nt even the slightest idea about the other guitars out there that blow PRS out of the water!! ..................GC is like the hot-topic of the guitar industry, they overcrowd the store with Fender, Gibson, and PRS. the only good thing about GC, is the used guitars. Sometimes they have a great used selection..................

I don't think that all PRS's are machine cut etc... But if they were, so what? I have a PRS and a Gibson Les Paul and I play my PRS more than the Les Paul! I like the feel of the PRS more! I have even considered selling my Les Paul so that I could purchase another PRS. I guess it's all in the players hands so-to-speak. I have owned lots of guitars over the years, Kramer, Les Pauls, Hamer, Strats.... the list goes on, but in my 20 years of playing, I have never felt more comfortable on any of them as much as I am on my PRS, I have heard friends say the same about their SG or their Strat, so it's all in the individuals taste. If you can pick up a PRS and tell yourself that you don't like the feel and playability of it, than you just saved yourself thousands of dollars and kudo's to you, but if you sit down and try one out.... watch out, you may fall in love with it!

P.S... If I sold PRS's in a store, I think that I would push them too. And if you were to order a PRS, It can take anywhere from 10 to 12 months to get it! Believe me, I know!

Oh and by the way, have you ever replaced a set or through body neck, There are advantages to the alternatives!

I have a major thing against PRS guitars. 1. I don't like set-necks 2. they don't offer Floyd Rose 3. too much finish 4. Overpriced 5. Factory made......................I don't understand it either. There are much better guitars out there for a lot less. Personally, I have always loved Neck-thru guitars. the only good guitars PRS ever made were their pre 1994 models. They had less finish on the body and neck, and the heel on the neck was much shorter, enabling the player to touch the last fret with ease. But, as PRS grows, their quality goes down as demand goes up. Who knows, I just can't stand the people who have'nt even the slightest idea about the other guitars out there that blow PRS out of the water!! ..................GC is like the hot-topic of the guitar industry, they overcrowd the store with Fender, Gibson, and PRS. the only good thing about GC, is the used guitars. Sometimes they have a great used selection..................

that sounds exactly like ed roman's prs rant combined with his chain store rant

i dont know, i kind of like the attention to detail of a prs. and ive never even seen a 10 top in person. last gibson custom shop i saw looked like absolute shat. binding was wack and had thick glue lines, looked real cheap with a HUGE thick layer of nitro over it. and they were wanting like 3000+ if im correct.

on the other hand the last prs i saw was well balanced, light and looked pretty well put together.

dunno

First off, I love PRS guitars, though I'm rather sick of them because they're ubiquitous now.

HOWEVER,

My girlfriend met me at Steve's Music the other day, and we were browsing around. Since I have plans to (eventually... like in another half a lifetime) make a PRS copy for my friend Scott, we went over to check them out. As I was explaining the difference between binding and the "fake" (to me, very attractive, "fake" is just for lack of a better word) binding used on the PRS, I noticed 2 very large blemishes. Noticeable quite easily to the naked eye, and noticeable to even a non-guitarist. These were beneath the clearcoat. They were so bad that it looked like the wood had been banged up against something and nobody bothered to smooth it out or repaint the painted portions before clear-coating. It looked worse than a factory second-- it looked like a factory third.

It seemed to fly in the face of the quality control bit they showed in the factory tour video-- you know the one... where they cut up a guitar that didn't meet QC.

And yet, it was still priced at $3,900 CDN.

Ridiculous.

Greg

that sounds exactly like ed roman's prs rant combined with his chain store rant

Well it's not.................Ed Roman is'nt the only person on planet earth who knows this stuff!! GC has taken over all the mom & pop shops over here. So I am forced to go there. I do realize what crap they sell!!

And I completely disagree with rhoads on the phrase that no one of us will ever get to such a position. I bet I will and I will make better guitars than his.

Please do, it would be great to see you do that.

When you sell $15 million dollars worth of guitars (including 200 at $20,000 each) in ONE YEAR, give me a call, i'll be the first to congratulate you.