Here

I can play the starting, but when it gets to the

E||-----|---------------------------------|-----------------------------

B||-----|--------2h3p2----5-----5--2--|-------2-----2-----2--------

G||-----|-----2--------2---4-----4--2--|-------2-----2-----2--------

D||-----|--------------------------------|------------------------------

A||-----|--0-----------------------------|-----------------------------|

E||-0h2-|------------------4--4------2---|-----2-----2--0--0-----0--|

I dont get how you play the 5 and 4 at the same time, is it linke in stairway to heaven where you use 2 fingers? or is it a special chord? i cant really figure it out and, its my girlfriends favorite song, so i want to show it to her when she gets back friday

You play this tune fingerstyle. Thumb for the bass notes, in this case the E string, fourth fret, and either index and middle or middle and ring for the G and B strings. You CAN play it using hybrid picking (pick on the bass notes, and middle/ring for the treble, but it won't quite sound right, unless you have an incredible amount of control over your pick when using hybrid).

You mean left hand wise? You can barre. I wouldn't recommend it based on getting unwanted notes from the A and D strings. I have to admit, I've never seen the unplugged vid, so I don't know how EC does it. I would play the E with my index, G with middle and B with ring.

i tried that, it dont come out right, i been playing it like this:

pinky fret 5, ring fret 4, middle fret 4, low e

thumb on low e, then using my middle finger to strum the fret 4 and 5

its sounds decent, but not to sure if there is a better way

Curtis

Not to be a prick, but practice up, I'm willing to bet a fairly large sum o' cash that EC does it one of the ways I outlined above.

Not an easy song to play first time through, but a little practice on the technique, and you'll have it forever. Look for the vid, and play it like EC, can't be wrong that way, you won't have to deal with my Nazi technique suggestions. :D

You mean left hand wise? You can barre. I wouldn't recommend it based on getting unwanted notes from the A and D strings. I have to admit, I've never seen the unplugged vid, so I don't know how EC does it. I would play the E with my index, G with middle and B with ring.

FWIW, the tab book I found had a wrapped thumb on the low E...

theres no wrapped thumb thats stupid you dont need one. just either finger pick, or hybrid pick, either way you cant play the song if you use just a pick (unless you must a bunch of strings)... anyways tears in heaven is a relatively easy song, just practice, and ull get it.

theres no wrapped thumb thats stupid you dont need one. just either finger pick, or hybrid pick, either way you cant play the song if you use just a pick (unless you must a bunch of strings)... anyways tears in heaven is a relatively easy song, just practice, and ull get it.

It's hardly stupid: it's far easier that contorting your fingers, and it sounds just as good.

And learn to spell.

sorry i misspelled "mute". anyways, i didnt mean it is stupid, it certainly isnt and im sorry for saying that. what i meant is that it may work for some, but the easier method is clearly just fingerpicking. how is reaching from 2nd fret-5th fret "contorting" your fingers?

sorry i misspelled "mute". anyways, i didnt mean it is stupid, it certainly isnt and im sorry for saying that. what i meant is that it may work for some, but the easier method is clearly just fingerpicking. how is reaching from 2nd fret-5th fret "contorting" your fingers?

It's far more work than a wrapped thumb... the 4/5 thing is the same setup as an open D chord (but two frets up), and I find that it falls in very naturally. The only thing left is the low E, which is taken care of by the thumb.

The thumb sounds like a solid plan to me. Keep in mind we're talking about the fretting hand here. Now that it's out there, in fact, I think the thumb might be the BEST option for fretting the low notes on the E. This is hardly "new" or even "poor technique" for that matter. Some chords you can only finger this way, others it just makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Nice that somebody had a good reference, thanks Reaper!

The thumb sounds like a solid plan to me. Keep in mind we're talking about the fretting hand here. Now that it's out there, in fact, I think the thumb might be the BEST option for fretting the low notes on the E. This is hardly "new" or even "poor technique" for that matter. Some chords you can only finger this way, others it just makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Nice that somebody had a good reference, thanks Reaper!

No problem. :D

IMO, you'd need pretty big hands to comfortably wrap your thumb up around a nylon acoustic neck.

The way I play the part asked about is simply using my index finger to fret whatever is on the low E (or the A string, in some parts of the song), and my middle and ring finger to fret things on the G and B strings respectively, sometimes using my index, if it's not busy. For picking, I use my thumb for the bass notes, and my index and middle finger for the rest.