Got a new Guitar!

Not my scene but a nice axe. The pickguard + pickups dont seem to have yellowed in 10 years so they seem to have been taken care of, unless they were replaced. If you dont like the sound when you get it, put some new pickups in it. A seymour duncan hot rails for strat would be nice upgrade, if youre into metal / blues / jazz / country / rock. You could put some EMG S / SA's in it but since its your first electric axe, and because EMG's are active pickups ( requires a 9v battery ) i wouldnt go down that road just yet. Hope i've been of some help!

Guest AlexVDL

Hi Colin, the only bad thing I can think of is that the body is made from plywood on those models. Regardless what everybody say, I have heard some plywood guitars which actually didn't sound bad.

If you're just a beginner I don't expect that you will hear a difference between epiphone pickups or expensive seymour dincans. Or a plywood body or alder. If you play for a while you will b hearing it better, and maybe you'll choose to get new pickups or maybe a whole new body.

But as for you question; well the guitar looks to be in good shape, and I sure know it costed probably more than twice as much when it was new. So yeah I think it's a reasonable price :D

I'd just say, beat the hell out of that first guitar and expiriment alot with it! B):DB):D

:D

Plywood!?

damnit, i was told it wasn't and that's why i bought it. Oh well i guess, as long as it plays i'm happy :D

I also heard that if there's no number on the back neckplate that it's an american made guitar, is that true?

Thanks for the input!

Colin

PS if i bought a strat body would all the parts swap right in?

Guest AlexVDL

I think you should check your resources B)

About the neck plate and no number; well I have never heard of anything like that. And it could also be a replacement neck plate, so I wouldn't count on anything like that. I think it's Korean, because I had the same guitar in red. And the only USA made epiphones are some archtop models and some very old models.

Before you swap anything, I'd be sure to check out if it is plywood or not. Scrape some paint off on the back at the spring routing. Make sure you scrape some paint from a side, so you should see layers of wood if it really is plywood. If it's massive wood, than you are very lucky, and I would keep everything original :D

I think you could easily swap parts, but be sure that the neck pocket isn't too big or too small for the neck.

Good luck :D

another way to check it is in the neck pocket cause then you don't have to scrape any paint.but really plywood is not all that bad considering the price and the important thing is to learn how to play.that's where the enjoyment is.i always preferred my plywood guitar to my sabre(before i found out it was plywood)amazingly enough,most guitarists don't know jack about guitars.you can make great music on any guitar.for example,i always heard basswood was impossible to get good tone out of,but now i know it only depends on the tone you are looking for.there will be plenty of time for that really great guitar.just a word to the wise,when i was in high school i was in a band where our drummer spent so much time trying to improve his drum set(ussually by painting it different colors)that he had no time left over for practice,so we ditched him after a year in which time he showed no improvement at all,he only had a shiny set of drums.the bottom line is,people respect you more for how you play than what you play.