First ever build...

Hi all,

Well I thought I'd show you my first ever completed build - actually it's the second, but the first one I started is getting a new neck before I'm going to call it done and show it off.

This is a Warmoth swamp ash body, tru-oiled by my good self :D and a warmoth neck. Graphite nut, Sperzels, EMG 81 and a Wilkinson Trem. Hope you like it, and a big thank you to everyone on the board for answering my stupid questions!

finished4.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

Thanks chaps - I made a load of mistakes and learned a hell of a lot. It goes to show - the best way to learn is to do!

I was extremely impressed with the EMG - and the Wilkinson is very creamy! Now I just need to get the action down a touch and it'll be my dream guitar!

WAY AWESOME DOOD.

looks wicked dude! that would be perfect for METAL! \m/

Nice guitar!!

Did you paint the 02 on there or is that a decal?

I like the EMG 81 quite a bit also. Try a EMG-VMC with it some day - it really gives you a lot of control over your sound. They are hard to find and a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Have you started planning 03 yet?

Hee hee, I play quite a lot like EVH (no idea why, never really listened to Van Halen as a youth) so I've been having fun divebombing and whatnot.

The 02 is a decal that my local sign shop cut for me, for free I might add! It was kinda fiddly to put on but I hope it will stay there OK.

I've not played it through my amp yet (72 fender twin reverb :D ) but it sounds good through my pod pro. Not sure about the clean sound of the EMG 81 - is this it's weak point? I'll keep an eye out for a VMC too.

Currently the tone pot is still wired up inside the cavity - I might remove it altogether if I decide the sound needs brightening up some.

Well, as for 03? I have a hankering to make a Beretta style thing with an OFR, banana headstock and what have you - but not in the EVH paintjob. Just trying to decide if I could pull off playing one onstage - I play kinda fast, melodic art-rock (bit like Muse or Mansun) so it can look a bit odd going on with a shredder's guitar! It'll be a while before my next build though - this and the 01 cost me a packet between them, so I think I'll save up some money and put what I've learned into something a bit more advanced next time - I'll definitely have a go at properly painting and finishing it as well, although I really like the tru-oil finish.

Thanks a lot for all your interest and kind words! Six months ago I would have told you there would be no way I could build a working, playable guitar!