question about saga LP kit

runfromsticks

just replace the intire electronics. If scared to solder than to use the same electronics you would need to to solder twice as much to get the wires off. Plus the switchs and pots suck. I have the kit so i should know. If you just want to learn it nothing to it. Its taking solder (wire for soldering) and place it on the 2 things you want to solder and then take the heated soldering iorn and place it on the solder over the 2 objects you are soldering, and bam the solder heats and melts the objects together. That simple but if you want a better explanation talk to others. thats how i do my soldering

Keep in mind that with most of these kits, they already come sealed (if not sanded), which has a bit of give and take-- it saves you steps if you're doing a normal paint job, but if you wanted to try staining, it'll make things trickier.

Since the kits probably use a very thin veneer, you won't be sucessfully sanding back the way lots of the PG tutorials explain.

Greg

Soldering effectively and professionally requires patience, it's not a quick job.

For a start you should keep good care of your iron. Always clean it with a wet sponge between each joint you solder. If you soldering iron is new, then you should make sure you tin it before using it. To tin it basically you are giving it a thin coating of solder to aid in heat transfer.

On to soldering.

First you must prepare the surfaces you are going to solder. If they are already coated in any solder then you must remove this old solder first, completely.

The simplest way to remove solder is with some de-soldering braid. De-soldering braid is a copper braid that will draw solder up into itself. Simply heat the braid with the iron and apply the braid to the old solder. Keep in mind you should be heating the braid not the solder!

Now that all the solder is removed or if there was none to start with, you can clean the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol.

Everything is now clean and ready to be tinned. You need to tin the two surfaces you are going to join (unless one is a PCB). Simply apply the iron to the end of the wire or contact point and when it is hot enough use the heat of the wire to apply a thin coating of solder. Don't try to apply solder to the iron and 'paint' it on.

Now both parts are tinned you can join them together, this is where you need three hands, you need to hold the iron, the solder and hold the two surfaces together! I use helping hand thing that has crocodile clips on bendy arms and a heavy iron base. With the two surfaces held together apply the iron to them. Feed the solder into the join, not onto the iron directly, if the surfaces are hot enough the solder will begin to melt, a good way to make sure everything is hot enough for a nice joint.

Feed in enough to fill the gap and make a nice dome shape. Too much solder is asking for a cold joint that will fail later.

A good joint will me shiney and silver whereas a bad one will be dull and gray. Clean off the joint with a bit of the iso-propyl first as the resin in some solders can hide the true quality of the joint.

Well that's just a little bit about soldering, I've done a fair bit before having been a sound engineer for many years :D

Keep in mind that with most of these kits, they already come sealed (if not sanded), which has a bit of give and take

um the Saga's dont. they want you to be creative and buy a sealer and paint if you want. So no worries about the Saga kit being pre sealed

That's interesting - this is from Brian's LC-10 page:

The Basswood Body is completely coated with sanding sealer and smooth enough to paint with only minor finish sanding

The Harmony Central reviews and other vendors seem to confirm this. Where did you get your info?

um the Saga's dont. they want you to be creative and buy a sealer and paint if you want. So no worries about the Saga kit being pre sealed

yes, they do. i have an HT-10 kit and my plans for it got ruined when the body came sealed. several other people in this very forum with saga kits had the same problem.

• 4 months later...

By the way, I have a hum that won't go away on my stock LC-10. Everything is grounded properly. When I touch the strings, tailpiece, jack, it silences. It's worse as the electrical interference in the room goes up, but always mutes when strings etc. are touched. What could this be? Thanks.