Building On Budget

B) First, im new here so hello everyone.

Im looking to build my first Custom guitar, probably something easy, like a strat. Because im realy inexperienced, im just looking to get the body, and hspae it myself, then send it off to a luthier for the routing cavities etc. Im just stuck where to start, i have only basic equipment, like hand held jigsaws, belt sanders, etc, the type of stuff your dad keeps but never uses.

Problems

1. Im in the UK, not seen many UK links for templates

2. IM left handed, not seen many left handed links

3. Im young and impatient, but for this project, i shall be patient.:D

Here are a couple of my thoughts in saving money:

1- save in materials ... to a degree

Use less expensive wood & do most all the work yourself or buy a cheap fixer-upper off eBay. Save money on some woods, hardware, ... but maybe get decent enough pickups.

I've used normal, flatsawn maple boards (laminated, glued) to make necks ... instead of quartersawn maple or mahogany. I've gotten cheap hardware off ebay and dinged bodies even.

Lumberyards tend to be less expensive than the home supply store for wood.

Ash, alder and bassword are cheaper than more fancy woods. Domestic woods are better than tropical woods.

Be creative! Example: fabric stores sell eyelets, which could be used for string-through ferrules on guitars. People use plastic, picks, and other "pretty" material for inlaying instead of paying for abalone, mother of pearl, etc. I've used cheap brass tubing + cheap veneer to make some nice fretboard dots.

You don't need a fancy 2-way truss rod, you can use the single action truss rods (may not be a cost savings to make your own truss rods)

2- You don't need ALL the fancy tools

Some tools/techniques make it easier, but certain steps can be done many ways

Download free plans off the Internet, print them out full-size -- there are your templates and/or routing templates.

Don't have a router for pickup cavaties? OK, just go slow+careful and use your drill (maybe use chisels with that.

Don't have a router for rounding the body? OK, use sander, files, rasps, microplane and round the edges by hand -- be very careful to keep the radius consistent, use a cardboard template to gauge your work.

You will need clamps (and more than you think you need).

3- Get the neck/fretboard CORRECT

Neck must be straight and inline and connected/pocketed well.

If the fretboard is not correct in length, correctly fretted, glued on the neck and shaped ... then the guitar will feel "off" and not a joy to play.

So: read, read, read everything you can first (here, on MIMF.com, and books)

Also: measure measure and double check before you cut.

I second everything said in the last thread.

You could try making your own template...It mightn't be perfect, but it will do..the fender website has front shots of all their guitars, so you can get a picture off there, blow it up and use that (gibsons' photos are on an angle, so they don't work very well).

I have a "junk shop" near my house also. They sell industrial waste (timber off-cuts, plastic, metal) it's a non-profit shop, so everything is CHEAP...I'm poor, so the price of a lot of tools horrified me, so i bought heaps of stuff from the junk shop and made my own, cost me next to nothing. I got a nice bit of clear perspex for AU$3.50, that's a bit more than a UK pound. That will do nicely for the template.

As for tools, if you're at school - see if you can have access to the manual arts room at your school - a lot of the guys on here seem to do that. Otherwise, ask uncles, friends, dads, anyone who might have something..I don't reckon you need much stuff at all...From scrounging around, all i need to buy is a set of fret files, and i'm trying to get around that also...just compromise.

I would have to say the best tool/resource will be this forum and a camera...If you need help, put photos on and people will help. There are some REALLY talented luthiers on here! Buy some books also, one on its own may cause more questions than answers, but between a few of them, you should be ok.

source ebay and other places for parts - they mightn't be top notch, but they'll do the job. Or, you could buy one set of really good parts and move them from one guitar to another as you build them..just a thought!

I read about a luthier who was challenged to make a guitar with nothing but a swiss army knife and he did it...so anything extra is a bonus :D :D B)

wow, thanks a lot those to replys were really comprehensive! Iv managed to rope in a friend with my trip, so that should half the cost and the production, he knows his guitar stuff. How had is it making the cavities? the neck cavities etc, because i want the guitar to be quite solid, even if its not my main guitar. Just want to say thanks again for those 2 replys, im really happy for you to take time to help a noob like me :D

How had is it making the cavities? the neck cavities etc, because i want the guitar to be quite solid

If you've got a template and a router then it's not very hard. I haven't done a neck pocket though and sometimes they have to be angled by a few degrees. Makes it a bit harder but not impossible so I'm led to believe.

can anyone tell me a site with any CAD templates apart from this one

www.guitarbuild.com have it in both dwg and dxf format (AutoCAD basically), you can also download the software.

And, could i use a CAD/CAM machine to do the routing for me?

You could do, but have you got one :D Personally I think that's cheating B)

Since you're in the UK, try www.axesrus.co.uk for cheap parts and craft supplies in Buxton for good cheap wood. Where abouts are you?

:D Kaj

Bread and dripping for ya tea tonight then :D

The closest place I can think of for supplies is Craft Supplies over near Buxton (Derbyshire) but ask your technology teacher/lab techs first as they might be able to order it (they sorted me with some lovely quilted maple vaneer, well about 8 years ago)

Lab techs are the ultimate resource for someone at either school or unit, they love building stuff and take a real interest. They have also been doing it for years and know the best way to go about things, generally they don't mind showing you either.

Go in to see them with the offer of teabags and chocolate biscuits towards their tea fund, they'll appreciate it.

Oh and for cheap parts, go to exchange & mart or the pawn shop and try to pick up a knackered guitar with the hardware that you need. You can always upgrde later B)

Good luck

I thought I'd add my own templating technique which I haven't seen anyone mention anywhere else before. I print up whatever body design I want on an ordinary piece of paper and put it on an overhead projector which I then use to project the outline of the body onto a piece of wood. I'm fortunate enough to be able to borrow the projector from the local primary school for free whenever I need it however even if you don't have access to one you can pick one up from eBay second hand for under AU$50, which is a lot less than what many places sell their templates for. Just remember to include a measurement on your print-ups otherwise you won't know where to place everything to get the projection at the correct size for tracing which would screw up the scale amongst other things.

• 2 months later...

well, if you're not too finicky about "sustain-for-days" and are willing to make some very subtle tonal sacrifices, go out and get some reliable cheap wood (ash, alder, maple if you can strike a good deal) and always get more than you need! You say you have a hand-jig and sander so jump on that body- if you build nothing else by yourself, that ought be it.

Alternately, you could go totally round-about on this and buy all the hardware and get fittings on your cardboard sketch...

huh yeah... I tend to forget details like that (most of my hardware is typically from other guitar models and I base measurements on those models... but, yeah, your way of saying it sounds better)

well, if you're not too finicky about "sustain-for-days" and are willing to make some very subtle tonal sacrifices, go out and get some reliable cheap wood (ash, alder, maple if you can strike a good deal)

that's silly...there are no "tonal sacrifices" by using ash,alder,or maple.those are three of the most commonly used tonewoods in the guitar market.

all those exotics some of us use are nothing more than a way to look fancy

...if you're not too finicky about "sustain-for-days" and are willing to make some very subtle tonal sacrifices, go out and get some reliable cheap wood (ash, alder, maple if you can strike a good deal)...

okay, there was some part of an incomplete idea in there (maybe an article missing or something) but I don't think that's what I meant.

I was talking about some other woods I know (the kind probably not recommended for guitars) ...and somewhere referenced good wood. As a matter of personal preference however, basswood, limba, and those exotic woods are far more to my tastes, tonally.

But, back to the subject at hand, I'm defending myself unnecessarily (sp?), I'd just love to see this guitar's turnout. (And, off topic again, what kind of other easily-found woods might some of you suggest for guitars, just for my reference?)

• 1 month later...

I got my ash for my last guitar for something like 1.65 USD/bf. There is absolutely nothing inferior about ash, maple, or alder. I've heard far more people say they hated basswood (which by the way is used as a cheap substitute for other more expensive cabinet woods) than I have say they disliked ash, maple, or alder. The place I get my exotic woods is the only catalog I have to look at right now. Alder is $2.95/bf, ash is $2.50/bf, hard maple is $3.25/bf and "exotic" basswood comes in at a whopping 1.95/bf.

hated basswood (which by the way is used as a cheap substitute for other more expensive cabinet woods)

Ibanez use basswood on some of there top of the range guitars, The $900 rg's are made of basswood, and im sure one of the jem models is too

Just checked and the JEM7d,77,555 are all made of basswood bodies and so is the uv777p

Edited by GhO$t

• 4 months later...
I got my ash for my last guitar for something like 1.65 USD/bf. There is absolutely nothing inferior about ash, maple, or alder. I've heard far more people say they hated basswood (which by the way is used as a cheap substitute for other more expensive cabinet woods) than I have say they disliked ash, maple, or alder. The place I get my exotic woods is the only catalog I have to look at right now. Alder is $2.95/bf, ash is $2.50/bf, hard maple is $3.25/bf and "exotic" basswood comes in at a whopping 1.95/bf.

GOOD GOD! I was quoted £8 ($15 ish) a foot for maple today! i must find someone cheaper!

Beg, borrow and steal.Dont steal though :D Your school/college will have a router/drill press/bandsaw etc. Friends/family and peoples dads etc will have clamps and bits and bobs. Building your own guitars is not a easy way to save money. I live in the UK too and there is plenty of places to get stuff. Check my site www.guitarbuild.co.uk for links to get specific stuff. Stew mac is a great place all the stuff you need. I placed an order on Monday at 4pm and i had i in my hands on Wednesday morning, so dont lets distant prevent you from ordering things. Using native timber from local wood yards is another one to save cash. English ash, sycamore and oak is all suitable for guitars. Any good guitar shop will be able to sort u out with fretwire and hardware.

Laters

All you US-based guys really, really have to realize that you can usually get hardwoods downright CHEAP compared to pretty much anywhere in Europe. Also, it's usually quite a bit easier. Seriously, Walnut costs as much as Mahogany (Honduran, about 3750-4500 euros/cubic meter, whatever the heck that is in board feet), and is generally imported from the US (Euro Walnut's quite a bit more expensive, and rare), same is true of Cherry, Maple, Swamp Ash etc. Alder's fairly findable, ish, but again, half the time it's American. African Mahogny is pretty affordable, relatively, as are quite a few of the other African hardwoods. Luthier's supply places, particularly the spanish ones, have some great deals on things like backs/sides for acoustics, and fingerboards, and we can find Italian Spruce tops for a fraction of what you can in the good 'ol US of A at fantastic quality, but beyond that, we got it pretty rough. When I see people saying 'build this jig with scrap maple, it's cheap and plentiful', I just laugh, and not in a happy way.

There just isn't that big of an amateur woodworking market in Europe, as witnessed by the tools for sale; there's very little (like jointers, planers, thickness sanders, bandsaws) to fill the gap between hobbiest tools and full-on, high quality, but HUGE and EXPENSIVE industrial, often tri-phase powered, tools.

However, having said all of that, 8 quid for a foot of maple is a tad very steep. I got a board of (flatsawn), slightly flamed maple about 6ft long, 8" wide, 1" thick for about 25 bucks, so 12-13 quid. About 30E for a 3" wide by 1" by 7' board of mahogany (honduran), although African's quite a bit less (5', 2" x 10-12" board for about 50 bucks).

In short, over here, I expect to spend about 50-60 bucks on basic woods for a non-figured top electric, as a bare minimum, if I hit the lumber yard for all of it. My current two (Swamp Ash strat+tele, maple necks, EIR boards) came in at around 50-ish, all things considered. 70 if I count the whole board I bought for the necks, I suppose..

Also, bizarre as it may seem, the cheapest place and best serivce place to get a lot of your hardware is often gonna be the US, even with shipping and duties. StewMac still gets a bunch of my cash, GuitarFetish on eBay has gotten some as well (oh, and the majority of my back/side woods for acoustics came from the US), and there are a few other good eBay shops that may be worth looking at.

Edited by mattia

Mattia is completely right... I am right now checking some addresses here in Germany, because I am finally putting enough money together to start my project, but many things are cheaper when from the USA. :D

One question, supposing I had a lot of time on my hands and were willing to do crazy stuff like handsawing and handsanding AND wanted to build a guitar completely from scratch (I mean: do body and neck with fretjob etc.)... What would be the minimum tool requirements? And where could I get those things cheap? My personal problem is I don't know what those tools are called in German - I suppose for example that a router like most of you use is called Oberfräse, but am not sure.

I was thinking of getting:

two good (jig?)saws

a Dremel

a cheap router (or could I do like the pickup and tremolo routs with the dremel? I couldn't, right? Or is it just incomfortable?)

StewMac's basic fretting tools kit (although it seems a bit overpriced to me)

a cheap drill (for tuner holes and stuff)

perhaps some slotting file...

a rasp

What did I forget (a planer?)? And could I cut something from the list?

What do you guys consider the minimal tool requirements to build a guitar from scratch?

Edited by Mr.Churchyard