Best Pickups For Metal

PhoenixCreations

i own a Bill Lawrence USA L500xl and its really nice. sounds awsome but sometimes its a bit too trebly(to fix that just turn the pup 180 deg.). it sounds unique similar to a emg but with more dirt in the signal(it sounds more natural). they only cost $50 and they do really good twang for rockabilly/chicken pick'n. do try very worth the $ but they do suck at sending out the pup right after you place the order. it took em a week to precess mine then another for it to arrive.

one more thing they only fit in the pickup rings that come wiht em.

Im thinking of buying a EMG Select for my rr, but im not sure if they are good. I have heard EMG are a top brand but since its pretty cheap im not sure if they are good:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EMG-Humbucker-For-G...1QQcmdZViewItem

As talking about PAF humbuckers and how there pretty good,

why are these soo cheap? And theres 2!'

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Blowout-Hot-Paf-Hum...1QQcmdZViewItem

They're not branded is the main reason I suspect; with SD and the like I'd estimate 50% of the cost is paying for the name. But that's my anti-brand name snobbery :D

the only reason I'd not use those pickups is that they don't specify the magnet type....which means they're probably cheepo ferrite magnets.

My suggestions for a metal pickup are at least a 18K bridge and probably about 10-15K in the neck...ceramic or AlNiCo. I like the Mighty Mite Motherbucker set, got them in an Ibanez Destroyer and they're great for metal. They're pretty cheep too and they come with black polepieces and screws which looks pretty cool:)

yeah ive decided to buy a Mighty mite motherbucker set because of thier cheapness and quality. i read about them and have got positive reviews saying that there better and more value than emgs and seymour duncans.

I heard there modeled invader humbuckers and just as good.

Thats a link to all guitar pickup reviews

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/

you won't regret it! they're really good pickups (IMHO). Tons of output with quite a lot of grit but at the same time they're not to muddy, you really need to play with the pickup hight though, its really important with these pickups, to high and you'll loose lots of sustain, to low and your sound gets a bit dead sounding....I put mine in to high to start with then slowly adjusted them down until I had enough sustain for what I normally do.

I think the adjsutable pole pieces on them are great too, not many maufacturers seem to bother on their high output pickups; but having the correct string ballance is just as important in high gain applications as it is in anything else!

okay, I'm surprising my friend with a guitar, and I need to know the best pickups for him. I know emgs are top of the line, but I fear they may be too sterile of a sound, plus he already has 7 guitars with emgs, any ideas? Thanks.

Michael

postscript, don't forget to mention what about the pickup makes them so rocking, what quality puts them above the rest!

hey man check out a dimarzio dp158 evolution in the neck and a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge

the x2n is the highest output pickup dimarzio makes i believe and works for all spaceings because its has bar pole pieces. its got an awesome metal tone, great for some rock stuff, but it can sound kinda harsh when run into a clean amp. but i like it.

Chuck schuldiner used the x2n for over almost 20 years before he died, plus his tone on Symbolic is way cool imo.

im done being stupid

but if i ever say anythign good then at least try out the x2n

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there is a certain pickup that is best for metal, it really just depends on what kind of tone you want. You can't go wrong with good quality pickups though, like EMG, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc. Just try different guitars out at a local music store to see which pickups suits you best. If you already like EMG though, don't mess with a good thing.. :D

The key to what pickups to use is in what you are willing to do to accomodate them:

In metal; strats, les pauls sgs and lord knows what else are popular. And to complicate things the gibson side of the house can have humbuckers, mini humbuckers or p-90's. All are great pickups but you can't plug a p-90 equipped guitar into a amp set up for a great humbucker sound and expect it to sound great. At the risk of being lynched for heresy something with programmable presets like a vetta or a mesa triaxis would make quick work of this problem but it doesn't come cheap and there are compromises involved.

I like to think of guitars (and basses) as golf clubs... there are different variations for different situations.

Personally if I had a lot of emg equipped guitars I would go completely in the opposite direction and go with

mini or p-90's just for the sake of variety. Of course if you don't want variety; put the same pickups you have in the other guitars.

Mate, seriously try out www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

these PU's are handwound and although quite expensive, really are better than all than DM SD EMG(I have a set and they are very good but...), Bartolini, Bardons and nearly everything Ive heard from. Plus you can have them with custom finishes and cover options. try reading reviews on them and they really are that good!!!

The BKP forum is full of very experience players who have all tried and tested lots of other manufacturers and now will never look back. thers quite a lot of ex-SD forum members on there. Steve Stevens, Matt Bellamy, The Darkness, are few of some of the more famous users

I have a custmised Miracle Man (Zakk wylde style PU) its 18k and sound awesome!!! the harmonics just fly off of it and it is the clearest and most defined PU I have ever heard!! EMG 81 or DM EVO eat your heart out!

anyway just my 2 cents worth

Matt

Edited by Matt

Mate, seriously try out www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

these PU's are handwound and although quite expensive, really are better than all than DM SD EMG(I have a set and they are very good but...), Bartolini, Bardons and nearly everything Ive heard from. Plus you can have them with custom finishes and cover options. try reading reviews on them and they really are that good!!!

The BKP forum is full of very experience players who have all tried and tested lots of other manufacturers and now will never look back. thers quite a lot of ex-SD forum members on there. Steve Stevens, Matt Bellamy, The Darkness, are few of some of the more famous users

I have a custmised Miracle Man (Zakk wylde style PU) its 18k and sound awesome!!! the harmonics just fly off of it and it is the clearest and most defined PU I have ever heard!! EMG 81 or DM EVO eat your heart out!

anyway just my 2 cents worth

Matt

BARE KNUCKLE FANBOI ALERT!!

:D

I've heard they're great too, but very expensive for what you get. I'm suspicious of anyone who charges $200 for a single pickup, even Lollar and WCR.

Yea I admit I am a fan, but they deserve it!! theyve even had WCR and lollar pickups in to be rewound!??

Even if you don't like the PU you get, you can swap it or have a completely custom one wound for you... how's that for customer service!!

Ever thought that It might be an old PU that your not completely satisfied with, plus re-winds are alot cheaper.

I know people who have spent just as much money on lots of different PU's until they find one that suits them, but have loads of discarded PU's lying around.

If Im gonna get something, I make sure its the right one for me first time around.