who schools who satch vs vai

The Nordic Gawd

satch or vai?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't believe satriani "schooled" Vai as much as people think.

i think vai is more melodic, and more tasteful than satriani (to my ears).

i wasn't trying to say joe sucked, or anything like that. i was just saying, that i don't get it.

yes, i guess you are right about the "student" and "teacher" crap, but, joe certainly shouldn't be credtied with teaching vai everything he knows, i don't think he was far ahead of vai, at the time.

i read about this somewhere, and it is not like vai spent years "studying" under joe. i think it was just a few lessons in the beginning, then some jamming.....i think vai is far more advanced and creative than satriani, but that's just my opinion.

Saber Posted on Jan 3 2004, 01:21 AM

Well my point was that Satriani offers as much variety and one way is through multi-instrumentalism (if that's a word). Playing a different instrument requires different technique, a different mindset, and versatility. And both Vai and Satch always remain very blues-rock oriented, anyway. 

fair enough!

AWESOME talent...completely changed the face of death metal with "human"

Yes indeed!!!

I have the same mentality as AlexVDL when it comes to discussions / arguments as to who is better or best. But when it comes to skill, Schuldiner is allways overlooked.

If you look at his writing style and what the man does on the guitar, both with rythems and leads, while doing vocals to boot, he kicks a lot of peoples ass in a serious way!

James Murphey is another Death Metal guitarist with amazing skill

you know murphy is with testament now?really helped give them a boost after that electric crown debacle

I did not know that, I know he played on the Low album replacing Skolnick, but I thought it was a one time deal, and he had the brain tumor issue which put him on the shelf for a bit. Didnt really keep up with Testament after Demonics, but I'll be looking into them now!

MikeB Posted on Jan 3 2004, 08:13 PM

what band did Chuck Schuldiner play for?

He didnt really play for anyone, HE WAS DEATH, and people played for him!! He had some of the best musicians, metal or other wise, that did some work in the studio (mainly drums and bass) and toured with him. Despite being labled as a GOD in the metal genre, he was a really cool person, and very down to earth. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times before his unfortunate death from brain cancer, definately a good man that was taken too soon.

• 5 weeks later...

this Satch or Vai thing is a waste of time. If you like what they do then listen to them,that he´s better ,no he´s better is a waste of energy.

To be a truly great guitar player you have to keep an opened mind to all types of music and take in all the influences and sight and sound and make something of your own it,with your hands and express yourself through your guitar and that is what Satch,Vai,Hammett,Skolnick,malmsteen and many others are doing,being unique.

Instead of discussing who is better ,listen to there music and let them teach you from what they are doing.

peace out

• 3 weeks later...