The Fool Guy's First

This is my first build. Mainly a practice run, done cheaply (if there is such a thing with guitar building). I've had a thread running on the UK Guitar Builders Forum, (http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2034.0) but thought I'd add it here too.

A quick summary of where I'm at so far...

Body Blank, complete with huge knot...

P8250055.jpg

Planing Jig - copied from someone here on PG but I can't find the post now, so sorry for not giving you credit...

P8250054.jpg

After planing...

P9020097.jpg

Body rough cut...

PA070117.jpg

Routed...

PA120135.jpg

Cock-ups...

PA120138.jpg

That's about as far as I've got with the body...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this over on UKGB and I copied your take on the router jig to flatten the body blanks which now I find out you copied off someone on PG. Thanks whoever you are. Its good that other DIY guitar builders are using the clever jigs to help us all.

Your build is coming on and as already said the router defects happen all the time. As least to me. I just blend them in with sandpaper. After all if you want a fender. go and buy one...no harm done

• 2 weeks later...

Got the neck cut out this weekend.

There was a gap in the fretboard join (not enough clamps) about a cm away from where the edge of the fretboard would be...

PB170001.jpg

Got the neck cut out...

PB270021.jpg

Result!!

PB280025.jpg

The gap was just on the very edge of the blank and once the neck was cut out the join was perfect. Finally something goes right! :D

Will still add a lot more clamps next time.

Been off work with the lurgy for a couple of days so decided to get started on the inlays rather than sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

So... a few hours and about 20 blades later...

PB290031.jpg

PB290029.jpg

They still need a bit of a tidy up, they're not identical but as they're flames it doesn't really matter...

Hoping to get the board routed and these things in this weekend, also need to cut out the headstock and start sizing up the neck profile

Edited by The Fool Guy

• 1 month later...

Been a bit slack with updating this over the Christmas break so here's where I'm at now...

Got the inlays in and fretboard radiused

P1100126.jpg

P1040117.jpg

I did manage to snap one of the inlays but glued it in anyway, it doesn't look too bad

Fretboard sanded to 1200, shiny...

P1100127.jpg

Got the headstock cut out. I did try playing around with different designs but as I have the artistic skill of a 4-year-old they all looked pretty crap so I went with a standard Strat headstock in the end. It still needs a bit of tidying up and a mm or 2 taken off the thickness.

P1100136.jpg

Complete neck

P1040120.jpg

I've gone for a slightly rounder end to the fretboard than a standard strat, still very rough

P1100137.jpg

Next up for the neck will be to recut the fretslots and fret it, then onto the carve, should be interesting :-\

My router packed up on me just before Christmas, but as Santa had already maxed his credit card there was no new router under the tree this Christmas :D, maybe next year.

After a quick read on the interwebs I discovered it could just be the brushes...

It was. So about £5 and a few minutes cursing over some fiddly router innards and we're sorted.

Got the body rounded over and the neck pocket cut out. Hey, this is actually starting to look like a guitar :D

P1100128.jpg

P1100134.jpg

I used the "put neck in place and use straight pieces of wood to act as a template" method of cutting the neck pocket. I put tape along the edges to make the pocket very slightly smaller but the router bit chewed them up. Neck pocket isn't as tight as I'd have liked, but it's certainly no worse than my Squier strat.

Next up will be to nail on the neck and start on the tremelo and pickup routs.

Looks great so far, what bridge and pickups do you have in mind?

The bridge will be a standard tremolo, looks the same as the one on the bottom of the page on the link below...

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_042.htm

I haven’t yet made my mind up about pickups. I’m upgrading the pickups on my Epiphone LP with IronGear Hot Slags so I was going to use the old pickups from my Epi on this as it is meant to be a (fairly) cheap practice build, but I’m tempted to put some IronGear Rolling Mills in it (just an excuse to try them out really)

• 1 month later...

After delays due to broken tools my good lady wife bought me this for a Valentines/Early Birthday present :D. Just need a new drill press now...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-POF-1400-ACE-Router/dp/B001E4EJ6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1298888429&sr=1-1

Managed to find a couple of hours on Sunday to get a bit more done. Routed the pickup cavities (still need to lower the side portions to accommodate the screws) and the tremolo cavity.

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

Quick mock-up

IMAG0026.jpg

I can’t decide whether to dye it (was originally planning on blue) or just leave it natural :-\

Can’t do too much more on the body until I get a new drill press (don’t trust myself to drill straight without one) so attention has turned again to the neck. I’ve kind of been putting off fretting the neck, not sure why really, but anyway the time has come.

First few frets in...

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

Trimmed...

IMAG0032.jpg

Bevel time...

IMAG0034.jpg

Done. Very pleased with the end result.

IMAG0037.jpg

That went very smoothly, no glue just hammered in. I did slip with the bevel file and scratched the tops of a few frets but not badly and it should be fine after levelling.

On to carving the neck now. Roughed out the shape at the first fret and started on the 12th

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

That's all folks!

Another job I've been avoiding is the other side of the neck so on with the carve...

I'd already roughed in the profile at the first and 12th frets. I used a spokeshave for the majority of the work, then moved on to files as it got closer to the correct profile, followed by 'shoeshine' sanding.

Forgot to take pictures before I started...

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Done... for now. Really pleased with the end result. Also one of the most enjoyable tasks so far. Still needs a bit more work but will wait until the neck can be bolted on so I can get a feel for the shape as it is now.

Meanwhile, the postman's been. Decided this would get new pickups after all, an excuse to try out some other IronGear pickups more than any thing else. The old Epi ones can go on a crappy guitar I'm planning to do up. Also got some locking tuners.

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

New drill press should arrive at some time this week so can get back to the body next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

IMAG0060.jpg

The more of those Iron gear pickups I try - the more im liking them. Put 6 pairs into guitars for an order from a local guitar store last year, apart from the steam hammer I was impressed with them all. especially those Blues engine humbukers :D holy crap they are nice.

• 4 months later...

Well, it’s been a while. Unfortunately life has been getting in the way of my guitar building which is a shame as the weather has been great for it.

But, I managed to find a few hours to f**k up my first build today.

First the tuner holes. Not too bad for a first attempt but one of them is slightly out of line. This is only a practice build so I’m not going to cry about it (worse to come...). I’ll definitely make a jig for this next time.

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

It’s more noticeable with the tuners in...

IMAG0085.jpg

Drilled the body for the neck bolts...

IMAG0015.jpg

The recesses here are too tight to fit the ferrules in. Need to find a way to enlarge the holes slightly, any ideas are appreciated B)

And then the neck, this is where things went wrong. I’m using the bolt with insert method rather than screws. I drilled the holes for the inserts. I knew I’d need to drill some relief for the edge of the insert so it would sit flush with the neck but didn’t have the correct sized bit. I thought of screwing the inserts in to the neck, cutting round then with an x-acto knife, then taking them out and removing some wood with a sharp chisel to create the relief. Unfortunately the fit was kind of tight, the insert was kind of soft and the hex key stripped the inside of the insert so there was no way to remove it. :D :D

Lesson learned, always make sure you have the right tools for the job and be patient...

IMAG0014.jpg

So how to get around this?

The only thing I could think of was to add recesses to the inside of the neck pocket to accommodate the sticking out inserts, so that there would still be a fair bit of wood-to-wood contact.

IMAG0018.jpg

Fortunately after all this the holes did line up... just.

Progress on No. 2 went better...

• 1 month later...

News! Good news I guess.

So I bolted the neck on to this one but the bolts were very stiff (inserts not lined up properly). Managed to get them tight with a bit of brute force but there was still a very slight gap between neck and pocket (forgot pics, sorry) probably caused by the relief holes for the sticking out inserts not being deep enough.

IMAG0292.jpg

So I took it off again and what should happen?...

IMAG0300.jpg

Yes, the inserts came out :D

So hopefully, with a bit of farting about I can start this again and do a much better job of it. I'm guessing a plug cutter is the way to go here rather than dowels. I'm sure I have some left over maple knocking around. If anyone wants to chime in with advice before I f**k it up again, please do :D