• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing John's now that you mention it. You've told me that blades are hot or blades rock or something to that effect. I've never played any. How does the sound differ from a pickup with poles?

SR

Well ummm.... they sound different. Blades are not hotter or colder than normal pickups... all based on the design (This set measures just like a set of Diablos). Blades in general have no dead spots when you bend strings. You can't say they are brighter or darker as that all depends on construction. Bill Lawrence used a lot of stainless in his blades making them bright and snappy (this is a general statement). Some blades can have considerably more/or less ferrous metal mass in the poles again effecting the circuit. The eddy currents change in a blade as well depending on construction methods.

Here is the simple answer as why these sound different:

This set sound fatter on the bottom end to me... more like a pair of P90s strapped together. <voodoo> And blades are more metal \m/ </voodoo>

Your straight down headstock pics are creating an optical illusion that's messin with my head. You cannot see the HS angle and that make it look like the truss rod access hole is going to punch out the back of the volute. :D

Foreshortening and perspective and all that....

SR

Your straight down headstock pics are creating an optical illusion that's messin with my head. You cannot see the HS angle and that make it look like the truss rod access hole is going to punch out the back of the volute. :D

Foreshortening and perspective and all that....

SR

Actually the hole is short thus contributing to the illusion. I am going to chop the end off an allen wrench for this one I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dude, you are at the top of your game.

SR

Thanks it was a long year. I am looking forward to not having to think so much on the follow ups.

The pictures do not do this one justice. I swear photographing padauk and flamed maple is hard. The photos seem a little washed out even after I touched them up.

This is how you join a seriously flamed top. Sandpaper. Anytime you use a blade on figured wood there is the chance things go bad. This is a pretty simple setup. 120 grit paper on the cast iron router table with a square block as a guide.

P7040564.jpg

P7040563.jpg

Worked well enough. I can close the gap with hand pressure.

P7040565.jpg

P7040566.jpg

life saver :D