Classical Bridge W/ Unbuilt Pickup?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to plan out my next build and one area I'm yet to iron out is the pickup.

I want a completely hidden pickup system for a nylon string guitar.

The guitar will be slimline, so the internal sound won't be that great so I was thinking the under bridge style might be better suited.

Is there any pre fab bridge/pickup combos? I've searched and searched... Come up with nothing.

I have a chambered solidbody nylong string build on my list. My plan is to do an under saddle piezo. They are almost entirely aftermarket types of items, but are not that difficult to install from what I have read. If anyone does make one, it would either be Schaller or Graphtec.

Fishman makes a TOM piezo.

SR

Theres plenty of electric guitar bridges that have piezo, but I'm looking for something that looks just like a classical bridge, ie, chunk of wood!

I have a chambered solidbody nylong string build on my list. My plan is to do an under saddle piezo. They are almost entirely aftermarket types of items, but are not that difficult to install from what I have read. If anyone does make one, it would either be Schaller or Graphtec.

Thats sort of what I'm thinking of building, but will be different to any other I've seen.

I have seen plenty of the after market "add on" pieze under saddle types, but none that are built in with internal wirng. I want it completely hidden and if I can avoid making one, I'd much rather buy one, but making one is my backup plan.

Haha, I just ordered stuff to make a piezo pickup today! I'm getting the piezo elements and parts for a buffer from mouser.

Graphtech makes a very nice 'invisible' pickup called "Ghost" pickup. The piezo element is actually inside the saddles. Another cool feature is that there are 6 separate outputs which could be fun to record with. They also sell a preamp for those that want to mix in with magnetic pups. Other piezo pickups will work fine too, but you might consider investing in a preamp/buffer and grabbing a piezo from radio shack or online instead.

Something else, most under saddle piezo pickups(graphtech excluded) will fit under a 'classic' wooden acoustic bridge, in fact most 'amped' acoustic guitars use piezos.

You could try and make your own. http://liutaiomottola.com/PrevPubs/Piezo/CoaxTransducer.htm

I have been working on ones for upright bass (the prices on the ready made ones are absurd). I have tried piezo film which was decent. Next I am going to make a precise route in the bridge foot for the cable style, like the one I linked too. For very little money you can play around until you have something you like.