Workshop Trolley Design - Input Needed

Prostheta

I thought I would throw this one out there despite me already having an idea on the design. As is traditional, a little background first....

As of Monday of this week I started a vocational course in woodwork and manufacture which is bringing me back to the basics of woodwork (always a good thing if you have the patience and humility to reassess your skill set and habits) plus bringing in many other techniques and practices I haven't touched on with mere guitar building. Nothing too taxing, however it does allow me time to re-evaluate my work plus I have more or less free access to an immense ~2500M2 workshop, woodstore, kiln, sawmill, etc. All the way up the chain. Since this is of course a shared workspace I need an organised method of transporting work around the shop, so to start out with a single 1m x 1.5m (3-1/4ft x 5ft?) trolley sounds appropriate.

Does anybody else have an "organiser" like this for moving work around? Any specific idea on workholding (for example, cardboard tubes for necks, rack for bodies) that you have seen or use?

I've never been in this situation before, so it is something I have not yet considered what with everything being within spitting distance beforehand. Now, I doubt I could even whale a guitar across from one end of the shop to the other with a runup from the storehouse. Now I have to actually *do* this (I don't mean whaling guitars) I am feeling a bit blonde and empty-headed.

Whilst I am doing this, I have been angled into making three more for other students. Fine by me since the whole idea of me doing the course is teaching myself processes for repeatability and manufacture. Here is the basis for the design. Existing trolleys are all wood, however the two level thing is relatively stable and provides four sides of access. First idea was a "honeycomb" of say, 18 (7+6+5) tubes strapped to the underside of the top level.

workshop-trolleys-66317-2292815.jpg

I look forward to seeing people's customary and persistent ingenuity!

No pictures uploaded, but I have a wonderful tray I made with hardwood top, and oak legs. It has wheels on two legs and the other two legs are flat. You can work on it without moving it around, and it moves easily. I dont think a whole bunch of bracing is needed, I just have the four legs and a bottom shelf, which seems stable enough...

akin to this, just with a flat top delTrolleyST_medium.jpg

Edited by bob123

I was thinking of pretty much the same thing, except for having four wide-ish legs with two wheels mounted on the sides of two legs vertically so that a little lift "engages" them. The weight bearing will be larger than a simple food table, plus it will take more abuse being used five days a week. I guess I am wrangling over the specifics that are useful to me rather than the basic design. I think a visit to the builder's merchant might be in order to pick up some drainpipe stock for necks.

You know,this gives me some interesting ideas...for example,a fold up guitar building trolley where all of your major tools(router,bandsaw,etc...)were attached and the center section rolled on four bicycle wheels when folded,and the sides fold down and rest on fold up adjustable legs,so you could wheel it anywhere you wanted easily with or without a floor and set it up,and all of your other tools would rest in the center section bottom shelves...

I think about a 3 foot by 8 foot center section with 3 foot by 3 foot folding ends would just about do it.On pleasant days you could roll it out into some nice shade and on unpleasant days you could leave it in the garage,and it might work well for the back yard builder like myself

I am not talking about shuttling...there are plenty of trolley carts to do that on

http://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-Utility-Cart-26-3-18/dp/B000A2KR0G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1345933106&sr=8-13&keywords=utility+cart

On the jobsite electricians use every type of trolley cart you can think of..I've seen them all.Like I said,it gave me ideas...expand your mind doood :peace

So from that brief description in my post you think it's not probable?

I think you just missed the part about the adjustable folding legs,or else you just don't have a background in construction

I think you misunderstood me lol. I have to utilize every square inch of space so I usually dual purpose stuff, and for something like this, I have it where I can work on it, as well as use it to move stuff around. Never said it wasnt probable, just think you'd spend a lot of time and money getting heavy duty stuff to brace it up, but that bracing would get in the way of the portability, I dunno, Im most likely overthinking it is all.

It is not for carrying out work on. There are plenty of workstations to do that on....we're talking shuttling....

^

Edited by bob123

Although outside the scope of what I'm trying to achieve with this project, I think portable workbenches are a great project. I couldn't agree with Bob more however, the most important thing they need is stability which implies either sheer weight or size to create a lower centre of gravity. Unfortunately both of these complicate the portability aspect! Foldout legs (perhaps with extendible feet to stabilise in your personal wilderness) to increase the overall footprint sounds perfect. The option of popping a couple of concrete blocks when in position might help. Never really considered this or seen similar backyard projects, but it would certainly be interesting to see. Where's Drak when you need him?

I have seen some great traditional workbenches with modern twists though. I would certainly love to make a Roubo from Beech once I have my own permanent space to house one in. Mmmm. I do have a thing about the old traditional arts.

Glad you are finally getting shop access. I think it would be nice to have a finish friendly top that you could remove and clean. Also, the tubes underneath would be good but what would stop things from falling out? How about some kind of hinged board to keep things in place? Alternatively, a vertical tube would allow you to carry longer pieces. Let us know what you come up with.

Me too :-D I have a lot going on in my head all the time (some part of my Aspergers no doubt) and it is borderline torture not being able to move forward and realise them. The important thing is that I can learn the wider subject of woodwork and manufacture and scale things up somewhat.

For the tubes....elastic bands covering the ends I guess. I'll certainly feed more into this thread now I can consider moving forward with various projects.