Alternative To Using Sides Of Pots For Ground.

Pal

Hello Everyone,

I am rebuilding an old Ibanez V I've had since 1987!!

Here is my problem...

Instead of one volume and one tone, I will be using an Alps 500/500 stacked dual-concentric knob so the volume and tone can be stacked together. I'm doing this because one the volume knob is too close to the bridge pickup and it gets in my way so i plugged it up!

Anyway, it's hard to solder the grounds to the side of the concentric pot due to size issues but mostly due to plastic parts and the delicateness of the pot itself - i don't want to overheat it. I was wondering if i can send all of the grounds, from pots, pickups and switches to some sort of junction and then send a ground from the junction to the output ground terminal and then back out again to the bridge. Is this possible?? It would make my life so much easier.

Here is a link to a schematic I made - how does it look?? I used modern wiring....

http://s1311.beta.ph.../photo.jpg.html

Thank you,

Pal

Take a washer that fits the pit, wire a ground wire to this and hwen you screw the pot into the guitar, this will ground it. Filing/sanding a bit of such parts will often make it easy to solder too, most parts will ahve some plating/grease/oxidisation that resists soldering, so doing this will make it nice and bright. If you dont have a 'washer' strip a wire right back (solid wire works best) to make a 'ring' that will fit and solder it to bnecome the ground wire.

I dont ground anything to the pots like standard.

I make a copper plate the size of the cavity and use that as a ground for everything, like old cars use the body.

Makes for a very quiet guitar. Requires me to have two soldering irons on the bench at once as the normal soldering requires a small tip and the copper plate requires a large tip.

229077_346012155480625_1664313755_n.jpg

582583_346012125480628_1966707142_n.jpg

I dont ground anything to the pots like standard.

I make a copper plate the size of the cavity and use that as a ground for everything, like old cars use the body.

Makes for a very quiet guitar. Requires me to have two soldering irons on the bench at once as the normal soldering requires a small tip and the copper plate requires a large tip.

I sometimes do something similar. A copper strip screwed into the cavity floor in a line between the pots, about 1.5mm thk. Then all of the earth wires get soldered into an electrical ring connector. then screw the connector to the copper plate.

realy realy quiet guitars. Same idea as demonx, just dont need 2 irons,

Depends on the guitar and how I am feeling that day I guess in my case. If I am lucky enough to have enough copper tape on hand, I ground everything to one point on the copper as much as is possible. If not and I am using say, Alpha or other pots with metal cases I will using the "traditional" braid to the back of the pot. In the case of dual gang pots for active/passive ganged circuits there are only tags which retain the rear wafer, so I strip some copper wire and solder a "bus" around the tags in an arc to provide ample soldering points.

I prefer the copper tape approach, however I need to improve on my patience management with it. The gold standard would be to have a shield with only one point where all ground connections meet to eliminate ground loops however keeping everything neat, tidy and logical is usually sufficient.

I wonder if it is possible to purchase solder tags large enough to fit under pots? That would be a great guitar "accessory" to have in the toolbox. Maybe I should get my son to go make a tool to stamp them out of sheet metal.

• 2 months later...

why solder to it at all? have you never done your own welding of battery packs???? http://www.instructables.com/community/Battery-tag-tab-welder-from-a-camera-flash/ thats the quickest link i could find. i dont' have a working schematic for mine. i put four in parallel that i can switch how many stages charge then i dump the caps and weld with it you can set it for different levels for whatever you need and the best part is the camera flashes are free at your local drugstore