New Guitar - Hollowbody Tele Style

Sooooo I've been sick this week and was foced o stay in house... this made me start the new guitar I've been thinking of...

This is going to be a hollowbody guitar made of worldwide woods. The body’s core is made from American Swamp Ash, the body’s top will be made from Brazilian flamed Imbuia, the neck will be made from African Mahogany (with a lamination of bloodwood-maple bloodwood in the middle) and the fingerboard and bindings will be made from Bloodwood.

This was the beginning:

12014347785_0f7cffd0dc.jpg

I then cut the rough shape:

12278006903_f60d5aa817_z.jpg

And sanded it to exaxct shape using a robo sander:

12278007043_22a555ef77.jpg

Afterwards, I started to chaber the body core:

12278408496_5491ce5f36.jpg

12278407756_279e8a623a.jpg

And finally, I cleaned the cavities up with the Router:

12278273614_227b5664c6.jpg

I routed of the electronics and made a cover out of bloodwood:

12288103016_5746d4bf87.jpg

12288101006_c655388122.jpg

While cutting the body’s core I have had to divert from the swamp ash block’s middle line by 2 mm (due to a nasty hole I wanted to avoid). This was not an issue since I was exactly parallel to it. There was one problem since my top is a joint top the middle line of it would be clear and the deviation would have been clear to see on the side of the body.
So, I decided to “mask” the side’s line of gluing with a decoration (three pieces of binding: Bloodwood-maple-Bloodwood glue to each other) making sure that in will be perpendicular to the body …For that, I made a jig with a few pieces of wood and routed the small cavity:
12325202374_e78759d3da.jpg

I then placed the new decoration and glued it:

12324915973_d042a304d7.jpg

After two hours of drying time, I sanded the piece flush with the body, and cut the excess. There was an incident while cutting the excess of the new decoration the wood chipped out … Luckily, this is an area that with be routed out anyway (this is where the binding channel goes). I had filled it with wood dust and Loctite glue to create a smooth surface.

12325198974_6d7d8130dd_z.jpg

Today I've joined the top:

12351264165_781c5af7df_z.jpg

It now looks like this:

12351690204_ce60145e71_z.jpg

that piece of imbuia looks familiar.. I got a very similar one a few months ago :)

mine is currently waiting for a project .. It'll be nice to see how your's turns out - looking good so far! Nice idea with the back strip. I had a similar thing on a guitar recently and didn't bother to cover it up, but I probably would if I had thought of this.

that piece of imbuia looks familiar.. I got a very similar one a few months ago :)

mine is currently waiting for a project .. It'll be nice to see how your's turns out - looking good so far! Nice idea with the back strip. I had a similar thing on a guitar recently and didn't bother to cover it up, but I probably would if I had thought of this.

Thanks,

I like this wood very much, smells nice while working on it :)

To say the truth I didn't came by this idea all by myself... I took Robert O'brien's Acoustic Guitar Building online course. He did something similiar on an acoustic...

I'm delaying the soundhole routing... I'm still unsure about the shape... I tought about routing two f-holes but then I thought that this is too common and I want to be a bit more outstanding...

I'm in search of ideas... something similar to the Butteflies guitar that Tim Robbins did...

But I want another theme...

I tought about something like this but I'm not sure about it:

3570700971_2a75e9edb1.jpg

Any suggestions? :)

I decided to make wood pickup covers ... I got the inspiration from Pukko's amazing guitar.

So I took a plate of bloodwood and cut two pieces from it:

12407537133_316b6df7e9_z.jpg

Then I used a metal pickup cover to position the holes and drill them:

12407850264_121b0dcba1_z.jpg

The I binded the plates with flame maple bindings

12407535243_29a2f8c11a_z.jpg

and applied a coat of tru oil:

12407533393_7ef7b6dede_z.jpg

wow, nice! I'd probably round off the edges a bit, but otherwise they look great!

As soon as I finally manage to successfully make a wooden pickup ring I gotta try this..

Thanks It's really easy to make... I used a miterbox and a fretting saw to cut the pieces so it's dead accurate and used a metal cover to drill the holes is 5 times easier than making the rings and much more fun since you could play with the combinations...