My Bass Project

I doubt it would be the minerals....more than likely the tannic acid in Cherry. Not sure what would be in the stain for it to react. Normally it is ferric compounds that react with Cherry, same as Oak and Walnut. Is it a stain or a dye? Stains are often made using pigments that are derived from iron or other traditionally-made pigments so that might be the culprit. Bit of a long shot though. That's some crazy reaction!

Okay, I actually had time to get into the shop. I feel like I am THIS CLOSE to getting this finished.

I spent 2 and a half hours just sanding. Working my way through the grits...

I worked my way to 1500 on the fretboard. It feels like glass! Scott, I am trying to follow your footsteps in making wood look purty.

I  think I have a love/hate relationship to sanding. I love seeing the results, but hate the time it takes. I know that it is necessary, though.

Oh, Sunday was the first time I played in public. I played in our church with our choir and orchestra.

Chatoyance 1.jpg

Front Sanding.jpg

Back Sanding.jpg

Playing.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not to say that foil will not stick to an cured oil finish, simply my preference. A clean (dust-free) cavity works really well from past experience. Oil in my mind would be more in line with "a contaminant" that might prevent the adhesive working as well. Then again, once it's cured (polymerised, crosslinked, etc.) I'm unsure. My chemistry is basic and only on a need to know basis. *cough* :D

• 2 months later...

Well, due to work and family, I have not been in the shop since JANUARY, I was able to squeeze about 30 minutes in on Saturday and shielded the cavities.

I think I'll have this done by the time I retire, which looks to be about 30 years.

Oh, I've named it - THE BRICK. Sucker weighs a lot. Something I've learned, maple is heavy.

Cheers!

Shielded.jpg

14 hours ago, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

Oh, I've named it - THE BRICK. Sucker weighs a lot. Something I've learned, maple is heavy.

Weight is, from my last two builds, the main criteria while choosing the wood for the body... probably is the age.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I had three whole hours to work on Monday afternoon! Spent a lot of time sanding, sanding, and more sanding. The body and neck were sanded to 1000 grit. Decided to attach the nut, so here is a picture of it so far. 

I also wanted to see how the wood would look with a Tung Oil finish. on it. I had Tung Oil on hand, so I wanted to see how it was. Here is a picture of the cherry cutoff and the maple/cherry/maple/cherry/maple neck.

Thoughts?

Note 2 084.jpg

Note 2 079.jpg

• Like 1

Depends on what is in the "Tung" oil you used; genuine Tung nut oil takes longer to dry than those mixed with varnishes, or if it's polymerised in some manner. Wipe it with a clean cloth and if the cloth is visibly oily, you're not done. If the cloth smells a little of the oil but you can't see any, you're close. If the cloth smells like a sock, you need to ensure you put them back in pairs before the significant other spots what you've done.

• Like 2

It's an amusing bass....heavy? You're not kidding me man. haha

Whether you like the shape or not, its been done solidly and all of the points which make an instrument better than as not have been ticked.

Has it made you think twice about using lots of Maple and Cherry in one place at one time? Man, the planet and that bass are going to have a gravitational love affair.

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

It's an amusing bass....heavy? You're not kidding me man. haha

Whether you like the shape or not, its been done solidly and all of the points which make an instrument better than as not have been ticked.

Has it made you think twice about using lots of Maple and Cherry in one place at one time? Man, the planet and that bass are going to have a gravitational love affair.

Hey, I don't have to worry about neck dive! :-)

All kidding aside, the wood choice was due to what my father-in-law had in the basement of his house. He was a wood hoarder before he died and the basement was crammed full of mainly oak, but there was maple, cherry, and mahogany.  For my next build, I'll definitely choose something lighter.

Next build two words that make my wife break out in a rash...

hahaha

When your knees go, everything above it tends to follow. <_<

Cherry's a great wood if you've got pieces that don't want to crack on you. It's a bit heavy of course. From what I remember, Cherry is also a great wood for aging using Ferric Acetate (steel wool pickled in vinegar for a couple of weeks, lid off). Not as spectacular as Walnut or Oak, but pretty good.

• 11 months later...

Wow, it's been close to a year since I have been in here. Life certainly has eliminated my free time.

I was given a promotion at work - EHS Manager - Plastics Division.

Pros - More money. More money than I expected.
Cons - More time at work - in TWO locations. Less time for work.

After busy summer and winter swim seasons for my daughter (I announced home meets. She hates it when I do - I use my British accent), I was able to get into the woodshop Monday to complete this thing.

My friend's granddaughter is going to wood burn my name in Japanese along the headstock. Then I will apply finish to the headstock and The Brick will be completed. When The headstock is finished, I will take better pictures and post them here.

Thanks to all who gave great advice during this build. I now have a better understanding in planning and execution of an idea.

Yes, I am bitten by the bug.

20170410_152632.jpg

• Like 1