First Build - The "Nozcaster"

Norris

Probably quite mundane for you people, but last night I did my first rough neck carve. Probably the most satisfying couple of hours spent on the build since I made my first template. I see what you mean about it being the favourite part of the build for a lot of people.

The usual method of rounding over at the top & bottom of the neck, then join them up. I used my shinto rasp - which was great for the job. I thought I might need a spokeshave, but the rasp did a great job. I also used a round surform.

20160516_193158_zps6kpifdca.thumb.jpg.9650edae37526e0270668c0fd5191a8b.jpg

20160516_195253_zpstlce6oph.thumb.jpg.27763b218e5e2b068a332478100108d9.jpg

20160516_203248_zps0uta9mqw.thumb.jpg.3675cb7d5d037d04066a627f65d99099.jpg

20160517_075422_zpsfelmg0jj.thumb.jpg.571b2963219ea05fd3e0ee565940cf3e.jpg

... and I came very close to forgetting to draw in the centre line! I've only got just over 3mm of wood to the bottom of the truss rod channel - so that's very important! :D

Edited by Norris
  • Like 1

It's anything *but* mundane....remember that a lot of people come to these threads to learn from what is shared.

Carving a neck is always fun when everything starts to come together. You'll enjoy it more when it comes to the final hand-sanding and tuning stage. Reading the profile with your fingers is when it all becomes very very personal. I know that sounds weird, but hell. It is.

Depends on the rod, depends on the wood. I generally plan for at least 4mm of wood (3/16"?) if it's going close.

Some woods are more prone to blowing out than others but it really shouldn't matter too much. If the rod is being used in the correct position for its type there should be plenty of room. The only rod I ever blew out was a StewMac Hot Rod, because they're just stupidly deep.

• Like 1

I made certain that I transferred the truss rod channel depth at several points onto the sides of the neck before gluing on the fretboard. That meant that I had some indication when I thinned the back of the neck down, and could check I had enough material in there. It's as close as I'd want to go :)

When thinning down the back of the neck my target was approx 21mm at first fret, 23mm at 12th. Actually I stopped about 0.5mm shy of that, when it was pretty flat, to allow for a bit of final sanding

Totally. When you can confidently measure "blind" and know for definite when you're either 3mm or 3,5mm from your rod channel, you're on the right track. Just takes a bit of planning and patience, but makes for a controllable and responsive neck.

On all of my neck I have used the stewmac lo pro and lmi which both have a depth of .375 and my fretboard thickness I always cut them to .25" thick, I always cut my necks to .780 1st fret thickness to .830 12th fret thickness, doing this I know that I will always have .150" of wood under the truss rod at the 1st fret and don't have to worry about doing math anymore, now I just simply measure real quick and cut. 

48 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I'm happy with how my self-made single acting rods have been turning out. I'm going to try a single reversible rod soon. That should be interesting....

With single action rods you have to do a curved channel, is this correct? That's mainly the reason I've went with dual action each time. 

They can actually be installed in straight channels, however they have very little acting force unless they are deformed by string tension bending the neck and inducing a curve. A pre-made curve adds in something for the compression to "act" upon. Curved isn't that difficult. It's just a different task.

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Have you compared its use to a straight scraper? I've always preferred though to ones that have bit pointy evil corners. :)

I've been using both the concave and flat scrapers. But yes, you have to watch out for the pointy corners on the concave one :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's spring & the garden has needed a bit of sorting (I banked a few "brownie" points with Mrs Norris!), so not a huge amount of progress on the guitar. This is partly due to having made the neck pocket template to match the instructor's router bit & guide bush... and then running out of time to cut it at the last session... and a public holiday this week so no classes.

Anyway, the neck is coming on nicely. Down to 320 grit now and we're starting to get smooth. I'm quite pleased with the volute (is it called that on a Fender style neck?) transition - that's smoothed out nicely. The binding was a slight worry (next time I'll shape the neck AFTER fitting the bound board), but has turned out well - no gaps/glue lines, and I've not gone through it blending in the neck wood.

20160530_203733_zpsvpkaermy.thumb.jpg.a8e7cfe481550d823cb76b5c7a2d23bb.jpg

Another hour or so at the 320 grit should have it silky smooth. Then I'd better start on some more router templates for bridge, pickups and rear control chamber.

Edited by Norris