Custom Semi Acoustic Bass mods and fixes

I think if there ever needed to be evidence that the bridge bushings were an afterthought, it might be this:

_MG_8595.JPG

In the meantime, I have added the rebate strips to the hatch:

_MG_8602.JPG

_MG_8610.JPG

The cover is too thick and heavy to be able to use magnets but I will be able to fully sink the screwheads in below the cover surface.

While I'm waiting for the EQ to arrive, I'm going to have a good long hard think about those horrible ivoroid strips.  

_MG_8511.JPG

There have to be strips of some sort because they are hiding the erroneous join...but I'm thinking maple at the moment

Best way of kicking off doing something better is by ripping the old ones off and THEN worrying about how I'm going to do it.

I carefully scored round the exterior to try to minimise wood or varnish chips and then used a soldering iron on cool (200 degrees C) and a small chisel to break through to the wood:

_MG_8612.JPG

_MG_8622.JPG

..then ditto the other side:

_MG_8625.JPG

I will be setting in some ebony to continue the dark heel strip and then some cross-grain maple.  It will still look like an infill but hopefully will look more like it's supposed to be there. :)

I have some maple veneer but need thicker stuff really rather than pack and then final veneer.

Then I had a brainwave.  I use cross-grain maple for the strengthener strip on the back of my acoustic builds:

_MG_8627.JPG

I've had a rummage around in my bits box and found this:

_MG_8629.JPG

Perfect :)

18 hours ago, Zack said:

Very impressive work! That cavity looks fantastic. I could have used a dremel base like that 2 days ago.

Actually, @Zack  that particular base is as good as useless for inlays, or much anything else.  For inlays, I wouldn't be without the Stewmac (or clones) precision base:

_MG_3893.JPG

Today I spent some time sanding flush the inset maple and experimenting with stains.  

This is probably as good as I can get.  As suspected, it is clearly an infill, but I think it is no longer the thing that first catches your eye with a 'THAT doesn't look right!':

_MG_8637.JPG

Since this pic has been taken, I've now done the other side too :)

Bit of tidying up to do, but this is the above side:
_MG_8649.JPG

...and this is the other side:

_MG_8650.JPG

Neither bear super-close examination - the light catches the grain differently to the neck so in some lights they look lighter and others they look darker, and without stripping the whole neck and refinishing it is difficult to hide the join - but it is nevertheless a great improvement on the original. 

Waiting for the EQ to arrive but today I should be able to at least finish the other bits and pieces ready for the final re-assembly. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but today's tasks will include drilling and countersinking the back cover screw holes, checking the fret levels, polishing the frets and cleaning the fretboard.

All being well, end of this week should see this on its way back to the owner :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Wow! That last bit was impressive. Like others have said that is a fine looking bass. The trapeze looks great on this and actually improves the look of it. I'm looking forward to your solution for the neck join.

SR

OK - that's got me a bit confused.... that last bit WAS the solution for the neck join .... I think ....  :lol:

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - that's got me a bit confused.... that last bit WAS the solution for the neck join .... I think ....  :lol:

My apologies. I wrote that at the end of the last page thinking I had made it to the end of your thread. I was referring to the cavity and cover....and somehow missed this entire page.:blush

My statement still fits here, except that I now know the solution for the neck join.

SR

• Like 1

Well you totally forgot to mess it up, so whatever you didn't do to do that (or not do it) keep not doing that so that doesn't happen (or not screwing up keeps happening). Not sure if this is the most direct road to success however. The manual seems to have fallen off my shelf. :mellow:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Well you totally forgot to mess it up, so whatever you didn't do to do that (or not do it) keep not doing that so that doesn't happen (or not screwing up keeps happening). Not sure if this is the most direct road to success however. The manual seems to have fallen off my shelf. :mellow:

:lol:

That was a bit weird, actually.  The quote I clicked for my 'Phew' reply was Scott's!  Somehow the quote that got posted was yours from much earlier in the thread, Prostheta.  Very curious.  

Maybe I haven't done the neck joint at all yet and the photos are just a projection of what I'd like it to be :hyper