acoustic updates

Acoustic updates, because ScottR told me I had to.....

I honestly don't remember what I posted before and what I didn't. So if this is partial re-hash, oh well.

DSCI0165.thumb.JPG.c9a07ada3d4f4a5aba073bd3daab3361.JPG

This is the box for the 2nd real guitar for my benefactor. Cherry b/s, spruce top, granadillo & yellowheart lattice inlay. That lattice was a colossal PITA. It took forever to get the layout & spacing right. Then I'm routing 1/16" grooves into 1/8" wood... I was terrified I was gonna fubar it at every turn.

Single layer black binding all around

DSCI0166.thumb.JPG.0dc195ab2f5eaace302edcf79eeb6481.JPG

DSCI0167.thumb.JPG.ab8d0557e6ee6f5ffd04507add278d89.JPG

Box for my youngest daughter. Bloodwood b/s, spruce top, bloodwood/limba rosette, eventual multi-layer binding.

DSCI0168.thumb.JPG.a5667f249d4984ca2327a345c0f3691a.JPG

necks for them both

cherry/lattice box gets the walnut neck/cherry fretboard

bloodwood box gets limba neck/buyana rosewood fretboard w/ block inlays

• Like 2

DSCI0164.thumb.JPG.461a012b20354fb5636af473bf8fa110.JPG

And this is one reason I haven't been making much progress lately. Re-doing a bedroom, and making my own pine flooring. Pine isn't the best choice b/c it's a bit soft, but it's a bedroom, not a heavy traffic area.

DSCI0169.thumb.JPG.a6a501e806ca4b0d5eb4c1c84b5b0cf7.JPG

And this is where the disposable income went. Re-built Chevy 327, 4-barrel Holly, aluminum intake, reprofiled cam, and a re-built Chevy 4-speed automatic.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, avengers63 said:

Acoustic updates, because ScottR told me I had to.....

<_<

You did post a pick of that latticed top and I remember thinking damn that's a bold move. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. And I thought it would be mighty difficult too. It looks like you pulled it off. If it never gets finished it still is a success for having pulled that off. I do hope it gets finished though, because I want to hear your feedback on how that top sounds.

I thought you had an old Mercedes in that garage....

SR

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

...I want to hear your feedback on how that top sounds.

I thought you had an old Mercedes in that garage....

Me too. I anticipate it being quite different. One can see how the grain on the lattice going at a 45 degree angle to the top in both directions would make the top stiff as hell. But it's still all pretty thin. And then there's the fact that I really don't know how to carve the braces properly.... So who the hell knows.

And yes, it IS a 1979 Mercedes 450SL. At least that's the way it's titled.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 5:20 PM, avengers63 said:

And this is one reason I haven't been making much progress lately. Re-doing a bedroom, and making my own pine flooring. Pine isn't the best choice b/c it's a bit soft, but it's a bedroom, not a heavy traffic area.

Depends on which Pine you're using John.....some Pines - especially those you have domestically - get tough as old coffins when they age. I've had Pine which my air nailer refused to work on. SPANG. Besides, aging is great and with it starting soft and wearing with use, perfect. Enjoy.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I forgot what a sticky mess gluing on the binding is.

I decided the electric will be an oversized bent-side LPish with a florentine cutaway and Marauder pickups. A teip to Home Depot for 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF is in order so I can make the molds & forms.

20180520_165317.jpg

20180520_165332.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Did you color that epoxy yourself?

I didn't color it at all. I'm just re-enforcing the small divots and gouges that appeared in the milling process and got more noticeable in the bending. I was really hoping they either wouldn't be so bad or would sand out. Neither happened, so better to strengthen them up.

Ah. That wood is going to get pretty rich looking under a finish.

If they still show up, you could pore fill the whole thing with that epoxy, and get a uniform look while strengthening them up.

That would probably be a chore to sand back flush though....

SR

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...