12-string Acoustic Rescue

I may not start work in this for a little time, but thought I'd get it posted up as I may switch to it occasionally if the current build grinds to a halt at any point (which seems likely given the difficulty the commissioner has in making a decision at times!)

This is a fairly cheap 12-string acoustic that I bought many years ago. When the action got so high as to be unplayable, it got dumped in the loft of my house where it sat for at least 15 years. A few weeks ago I fetched it down to discover I'd left the strings under tension, which certainly hasn't done it any favours. As I now attend a regular guitar building class, it seems a fairly light step into the world of acoustic guitars to fix it up

20180320_082334.thumb.jpg.1826007e59128c2ae5ae6d3ea85fa285.jpg

It has a couple of issues. The neck seems to have come unstuck...

20180320_082542.thumb.jpg.624818c069c61b4dcfd322c3fb94295d.jpg

... and the top has warped around the bridge (not quite so noticeable now as it's not been under tension for a few weeks) ...

20180320_082455.thumb.jpg.fc67a01f88e9e92167dadd6b81a83a71.jpg

... and has started to lift the fretboard too as the neck folded in.

The plan is to remove the old top and neck, make a new top with decent bracing, and then rebuild it, possibly with a new fretboard too - depending what state the old one is in.

Oh, and if you're wondering, it's a "CL Clarissa" (nope, me neither! :D )

20180320_082612.thumb.jpg.92c5cbed804da91ec1de6e01c02fd9d1.jpg

• Like 1

You've got my interest up, Noz. I've got a 70s-era Yamaha FG260  12 string that I've debated making a project out of due to its horrendously high action and warped top (amongst other sins). Nice sounding guitar for a plywood-topped strummer, but damn near impossible to play.

I saw the first pic and assumed it was an Ovation, but 'Clarissa' it is...

Not the most rock 'n roll name out there, but stranger things have hapenned.