gibson nut slot depth - actual slot not string slots

been hunting on the internet but everyone is always talking about string slot depth.  I'm asking about the typical slot depth for the actual entire nut.  I see on some of my guitars it looks like it tends to be as deep as the fretboard.  IOW the slot would just be the absence of the fretboard.  Just wondering... for those who have a les paul style nut... is there a sliver of fretboard wood under your nut?

Slot depth is governed by how much clearance you need over the first fret to avoid buzzing on the open strings, but not so high that you end up with big intonation problems or unnecessarily difficult action within the first half-dozen or so frets. It shouldn't matter if the nut was made by Gibson, Fender, Ibanez or K-mart.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, curtisa said:

Slot depth is governed by how much clearance you need over the first fret to avoid buzzing on the open strings, but not so high that you end up with big intonation problems or unnecessarily difficult action within the first half-dozen or so frets. It shouldn't matter if the nut was made by Gibson, Fender, Ibanez or K-mart.

Thanks for the response.  Not really referring to the nut brand, but more the style of install.  I said gibson because if you look at the typical fender, they have a lot of fretboard under the nut.  On most gibsons it looks like they remove more material.  I've always thought the fender way is probably better because it has a barrier on both sides of the nut.  Not sure if their are other reasons for one vs the other.  

Anywho, thanks for the response!

• 2 months later...

On LP types the slot depth is the thickness of the typical headstock veneer, about 1/16 inch on the headstock side and whatever that dictates on the fingerboard side...   the precise depth is not even remotely important as long as there is SOME depth to it on the headstock side.

You also must keep the truss rod nut in mind... you want enough wood to receive the truss rod cover screw IF your cover has a screw located in the center.

rk