Help shopping for a truss rod.

Hi there.

I'm currently engaged in my first build and am looking to buy a dual action truss rod but am not really femilliar with the finer points of what to look out for so would appreciate some help.

Its a PRS style guitar. The plans state the truss rod is: (see attached)

I'm not especially fussed about remaining tru to the exact PRS spec but more so would just like directed to something cheap and functional that can be installed with minimal headaches.

Incidentally I also need to think about purchasing some machine heads from a reputable source. I was thinking wilkinsons from thomann but open to suggestions.

truss 1.PNG

truss 2.PNG

truss 3.PNG

440 is fine I've used that in most of my 25" scale builds, the truss still goes a long way into the heal of the neck that is then glued into the body so that part of the neck isn't moving anyway. I dunno about delivery, but I copied that link directly out of my amazon order history. Anyway, you can see what truss rod it is, they're available all over the place, including ebay. I think even Crimson now sell that same one.

I've been using Chinese ones costing ~10 € for 3 including mail. And they look identical to those sold for 10 € a piece at a local builder web shop so the quality is decent. Of course it doesn't hurt checking the action before gluing the fretboard. They're only 420 mm long but that seems to be enough for 24.75 scale necks. As Mr Finlayson said, part of the neck isn't moving. There's no need to stress the neck joint!

On 4/19/2019 at 6:57 AM, Bizman62 said:

I've been using Chinese ones costing ~10 € for 3 including mail. And they look identical to those sold for 10 € a piece at a local builder web shop so the quality is decent. Of course it doesn't hurt checking the action before gluing the fretboard. They're only 420 mm long but that seems to be enough for 24.75 scale necks. As Mr Finlayson said, part of the neck isn't moving. There's no need to stress the neck joint!

Where are you getting these? €10/3 rods is a lot cheaper than I've been paying!

They're usually available for those kinds of prices on eBay. Even cheaper on Aliexpress or Banggood as you're not paying for the eBay price markup to cover the sellers listing costs.

Shop carefully though. At those kinds of prices you may be better off buying a bunch and testing them all before using them. You may find one or two in every 10 that may need to go straight to the bin.

Yep, Banggood is the place I've bought many things from. The truss rods I've got have all been working, also the ones I've sold to fellow builders. Currently it seems there's a 20% discount for 2 or more: https://www.banggood.com/Two-Way-dual-action-45-Steel-Truss-Rod-420mm-p-933049.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

The bass size one I got from Aliexpress also seems to work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-pcs-570mm-Double-Course-Way-Bass-Guitar-Truss-Rod-Inner-Diameter-9mm-Steel-A3/32774484651.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.a03d4c4dUaPimR

As curtisa said, testing is mandatory. I've been mostly lucky, but in one tuner set one of the tuners had the hole in the gear off-center so it was very tough to turn at a certain point.

One thing not worth buying is the "nut slot round file keyring set": They're not files, they're nozzle cleaning rods.