Oak Hollow body build

Almost caught up to present day, hopefully you don't mind a load of pics being put on in quick succession.

After the successful attempt with the pickup rings, I had a think about what to do next, this oak is strong so maybe I can make something else...

Cut a block and marked it up

49855048247_5123e79fca_k.jpg

then drilled (freehand as I don't have a drill press)

49854211703_03ada6db55_k.jpg

Probably a bit wayward, but should be close enough and hopefully will not notice it so much on the finished piece

49854750126_29b6b17b00_k.jpg

Drilled the holes a bit bigger on one side and in with the string ferrules to test the fit

49854750016_4e421caeca_k.jpg

Bit more shaping and test again

49854748876_9f1b37cad7_k.jpg

More shaping and sanded to 600 grit

49854749216_25e108c444_k.jpg

49854210533_6e658b392c_k.jpg

49854748781_1b0715a6e0_k.jpg

Almost caught up to present day, hopefully you don't mind a load of pics being put on in quick succession.

After the successful attempt with the pickup rings, I had a think about what to do next, this oak is strong so maybe I can make something else...

Cut a block and marked it up

49855048247_5123e79fca_k.jpg

then drilled (freehand as I don't have a drill press)

49854211703_03ada6db55_k.jpg

Probably a bit wayward, but should be close enough and hopefully will not notice it so much on the finished piece

49854750126_29b6b17b00_k.jpg

Drilled the holes a bit bigger on one side and in with the string ferrules to test the fit

49854750016_4e421caeca_k.jpg

Bit more shaping and test again

49854748876_9f1b37cad7_k.jpg

More shaping and sanded to 600 grit

49854749216_25e108c444_k.jpg

49854210533_6e658b392c_k.jpg

49854748781_1b0715a6e0_k.jpg

I then decided to go all experimental (or just mental...) and would have a go at making a bridge, knowing full well it would need to be metal for the earth.

Finding something suitable took a while, needs to be something that will not rust and then I had a eureka moment... 

Tent pegs don't rust :)

Sanded one end to see how it looked

49856072837_0a549a071d_k.jpg

And then set about shaping with files and an old acoustic saddle as reference

49856072722_487d2c2c39_k.jpg

49856072587_1be96e7686_k.jpg

49855767011_e72b776fca_k.jpg

49856072182_d71803741e_k.jpg

Next step the bridge. Cut a block out and then using the old saddle marked out for the curve.

49858483473_da9f0ca5c2_k.jpg

Realised it was a bit too thick, so cut it down a bit before getting the initial curve done

49859017801_3262b92d41_k.jpg

Marked out the saddle position

49859016591_f354dbf103_k.jpg

Basic cut and shape of the groove, then started shaping it

49858481838_9b806aaeff_k.jpg

49858482603_5467ae99ca_k.jpg

On to the other side and then sanding

49858482528_35d3886063_k.jpg

Cut down to size and drilled for the posts. Shaping and sanding complete, cleaned with turps

49859329242_5a7b04f7c2_k.jpg

49859329147_b6bbff3513_k.jpg

Oiled the bridge and tailpiece Wednesday afternoon and another coat later that night. Still need to glue the saddle in place, but haven't decided which glue to use yet. Need to make sure it is strong enough.

Yesterday I decided to strip down my first full build from scratch guitar so that I can use some of the parts.

I had been quite proud of this guitar at first, but it has been hung up on display for a long time and all the mistakes I had made on it kept jumping out at me, plus I had made the body out of Paulownia wood, which is too light and easy to mark, the neck is maple and was too heavy for the body, causing really bad neck dive.

I may revisit it at some point and try to rectify all the problems. But that is for another day...

Donor guitar -

49862684093_d092efb16c_k.jpg

49863217496_9a58bcbc8a_k.jpg

Needs must and so it has been stripped down, first thing in is the Wilkinson Zebra pickups. Cut the pickup slots to suit and tested in place. 

49863527677_a67749a030_k.jpg

Next on the list is cleaning up the awful soldering and wiring I did on the green machine ready for transplant into this.

Have also ordered some bits from Northwest Guitars, which should hopefully land on the doormat in the next couple of days.

Last job yesterday was cutting the hole for the jack, tested with the plate but need to cut around it yet and sink it into the body which will be first job today when I get some time.

49865922446_8a0ec5b0bc_k.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

That's some impressive work! I especially like the usage of inexpensive common household tools instead of routing along bought templates.

Am I seeing right, is there a gap in the glue line in the bottom? The bubbling of the glue you're using may have been too strong for just one clamp connecting the halves. Hopefully you don't have to redo the center seams although if necessary it'd be easier before gluing the top and bottom together.

Thanks Bizman. There was a slight bubbling in the bottom section, but it didn't go all the way through, so a bit of filler over it sorted it out. 

22 minutes ago, JGTay said:

Still need to glue the saddle in place, but haven't decided which glue to use yet. Need to make sure it is strong enough.

The crucial thing to do is to sand/scrape the gluing surfaces to bare wood as no glue will stick well on oil or lacquer. TiteBond Original is most likely the best glue for the purpose as it doesn't give in when dry. Clamping it properly to the hollow body may be challenging but you may be able to sneak a clamp or three through the pickup cavity.

Your bridge design is mindblowing!

7 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A very warm welcome @JGTay :) 

There are some great skills and some refreshingly different approaches on show here.  I look forward to seeing how this turns out :)

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. 

I have been following your build threads with extreme interest, some very nice work there. The Yew guitar is looking amazing. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The crucial thing to do is to sand/scrape the gluing surfaces to bare wood as no glue will stick well on oil or lacquer. TiteBond Original is most likely the best glue for the purpose as it doesn't give in when dry. Clamping it properly to the hollow body may be challenging but you may be able to sneak a clamp or three through the pickup cavity.

Your bridge design is mindblowing!

Thanks Bizman, the bridge will end up on posts so that it can be adjusted to suit the action, so the gluing side will be done away from the body.

Haven't got any titebond, have been using gorilla glue for all the joints so far, but not sure that will work out for the saddle. Will definitely scrape out the oil from the groove beforehand to give it the best adhesion possible. 

Gorilla glue dries hard but requires a lot of pressure to keep the bubbles outside, otherwise it'll fill the seam with hard foam. It's typical for polyurethane glues. TiteBond is Polyvinyl-acetate (PVA). PVA glues are widely available but many of them are rubbery which can damp the sound vibrations.

How will the bridge posts be supported? The thin top alone sounds fragile to stand the string tension by two posts, knowing that acoustic bridges can break loose despite being glued by a large area.

It looks from the photo that the saddle is sitting in a groove, @JGTay ?  

If so, surely the glue only needs to stop it rotating or falling off when you take the strings off?  I would have thought that gel superglue or a spot of epoxy would be more than adequate.  As long as it stays upright, the strings should hold it in place...

Just for clarification, my previous post about glue types was purely for wood on wood, what @Andyjr1515 said about gluing the saddle to the bridge are probably the best options for that purpose.

18 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It looks from the photo that the saddle is sitting in a groove, @JGTay ?  

If so, surely the glue only needs to stop it rotating or falling off when you take the strings off?  I would have thought that gel superglue or a spot of epoxy would be more than adequate.  As long as it stays upright, the strings should hold it in place...

It is only a shallow groove, but yes, hopefully it should be enough to hold it in position with a bit of superglue, if needed I could make the groove a bit deeper as I have shaped the bridge to give extra clearance for the strings. All suggestions and help are greatly appreciated, I only have minimal knowledge on setups and different methods. It is all a learning process for me. :)

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Gorilla glue dries hard but requires a lot of pressure to keep the bubbles outside, otherwise it'll fill the seam with hard foam. It's typical for polyurethane glues. TiteBond is Polyvinyl-acetate (PVA). PVA glues are widely available but many of them are rubbery which can damp the sound vibrations.

How will the bridge posts be supported? The thin top alone sounds fragile to stand the string tension by two posts, knowing that acoustic bridges can break loose despite being glued by a large area.

This had been in my thoughts already and I was thinking of putting in some wooden posts underneath with a nut embed in the tops for the thread of the posts to screw into. 

Flattening the bottoms of both the bridge and the groove, making a tight fit, would improve the transfer of vibrations and keep the bridge from wandering similarly to the bone in the groove of the bridge of an acoustic. If you can, making the base of the bridge rectangular would further improve the fitting.

For this build it's too late, but if you end up doing another leaving  the bridge area untouched on both halves would provide the support for the bridge poles. You know, like islands in a pool, or stalagmites and stalactites growing together...

If the top construction ends up to be too weak for the string pull, you can use a trapeze for attaching the strings like on an archtop or the violin family. That would only push the bridge downwards in which case inside poles should provide adequate support.

Thanks @Bizman62 I will have a go at flattening the base of the saddle and groove in a bit before I glue it in place.

The oak top is very strong, tested yesterday by accidentally sitting on it🤣, had put it on my chair in the workshop while clearing off my bench... Thankfully no damage anywhere, so hopefully installing wooden posts below will give it enough support.