Project Matia

Well here is where I'm at so far... Its a seven string beast!! Obviously there is still a lot of work to do but its beginning to come together... This is an ASH 1 piece body with a neck based on an RG 7620 I had. ( Ignore the Jem DB7 fretboard thats for something completely different! :D )

matia2.JPG

matia1.JPG

So far I have an Edge Pro trem for it along with the nut and tuners will come from a UV777. i cant decide if I should swirl it or use the existing grain and do a translucent thing???? :D

Anyways any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

B)

Just one thing, IS REALLY REALLY BEAUTIFUL B) Congratulations Eddie Fletcher!!! :D , I think with Oil finish, or Satin finishes look greats!!!! See you, and good work!!!! :D

PD: Please No painting!!! Is beauty with natural finish :D

I know I'm acronym crippled but didn't he say it's Ash?

This is an ASH 1 piece body

I admit it does have that greenish brown look to it that limba has but if you look close, the grain does not look like any limba that I have used.

Nice looking guitar - can you clear up the issue of the wood(s) used?

I think a transparent swirl would interfere too much with the wood grain, and vice versa. You'd have a big mess, in my opinion.

One finish i *love* on ash is used by George Furlanetto on his FBass instruments. He calls it "ceruse", and it's a dark stain with a contrasting filler (sometimes tinted) applied to bring out the grain. It's quite striking.

http://fbass.com/images/bn5ceruseblack-whitebody.jpg

hey guys! Its definately ASH believe me!!! Not swamp ash or anything else!!! It was sourced from Goodtimber in Northampton UK and shipped to me here. I bought a total of 3 blanks from the same cut and they all have this kind of marking on them. The grain really is something else eh!!! :D

I'm leaning towareds going with a translucent blue at this stage really highly polished with the headstock done in the same way..

Incidentally anyone that wants one of the blanks I have is welcome to make an offer as I only need the two of them! The blanks are big enough to do a seven string UV each. Just call it $40 US plus shipping. Anyone interested let me know.

Thanks for the comments by the way and I have emailed Goodtimber to find out exactly which strain of ash this is! Soon as I know I'll post pics and info!

Cheers B)

@eddie: Do you have an exact set of dimensions/measurements of the Universe AANJ neck cavity and heel? If yes it would be great if you could post them or mail them to me, as I am currently doing a UV project as well.

Thanks,

MK!

no worries I have either a template I can post to you or I can email you the specs. let me know which you prefer!

Thanks!

:D

Eddie, how much did you pay for the blanks?

PS Very nice work!

Sorry mate was having a blonde day. I got the timber from Goodtimber in Northampton. There number is in the Yellow Pages but I'm afraid I dont have it here with me!

I paid a combined total of 35 pounds for each blank and 21 pounds for a one piece rock maple neck black for the neck. They are excellent people and will actually find you some great wood!

Give them a call if your in the UK! :D