pics of my guitar finished

Hi all,

this was my 2nd attempt at building an instrument! so dont be too harsh! :D

I finished it last year sometime, juts never got around to posting pics.

http://fullservesite.com/john/

Specs:

Neckthru construction - Iroko neck

various other types of mahogany used throughout the guitar(well at lest i think the dark wood is mahogany, somebody please prove me wrong) , and the back of the wings are made of OAK.

the ears on the headstock are mahogany.

Hipshot Bridge - string thru body

Grover locking tuners

Bone Nut

wide/medium frets

Indian rosewood fretboard with 24 frets

stewmac hotrod (adjusting nut is accessable from inside the neck pickup route)

Golden Age Pickups:

Neck: 9.75k

Bridge 12k (overwound)

(im impessed with these pickups!)

Controls:

Blend (instead of pickup selector switch), tone, volume, Coil split

I realise that the use of woods is somewhat unconventional, but it was worth it. This guitar has a very unique tone. I have given it to my friend in a gigging band to play, and it sounds simply awesome running through a good rig.

Waddya think?

thanks,

john.

ps: can somebody tell me what exactly is the darker wood i used on the top halves of the wings and the back half of the neckthru section and the control cavity cover(unlacquered) as you can see it is chocolate brown but when lacquered takes on a reddish colour. It has some lovely figuring too.

thanks guys, she sounds great! i have 10`s on it at the moment which really suit it.

it plays quite nicely, string bends are sooo easy! and access to the 24th is quite good.

i still have to finetune the nut slots, but thats only a minor detail.

a few more specs i forgot to mention:

25" scale

deep 'C' profile neck

approx 16" fretboard radius

i really dont care for angled headstocks so i kept this one straight(ala fender)

john.

ps: can somebody tell me what exactly is the darker wood i used on the top halves of the wings and the back half of the neckthru section and the control cavity cover(unlacquered) as you can see it is chocolate brown but when lacquered takes on a reddish colour. It has some lovely figuring too.

I'm not sure but I bet you can find it in the link on this page :D

Thanks for the link brian, i have a feeling its a form of mahogany but it looks more like a rosewood. oh well , the search continues.....

Alex, The guitar is slightly on the heavy side but i dont really mind, im a big lad :D

Bls, the headstock is the same shape as a prs headstock but with an extra point in the middle. The headstock has mahogany ears added to it. And yes the sustain is great but a better choice of woods would probably improve it even more.

as far as tone goes, i get a lovely bluesy tone from the enck pickup whereas the bridge pickup nails that acdc sound! This guitar is best turned up LOUD! , feedback assisted sustain on demand!

i made a brief pictorial of the building of this guitar(i dont have all pics but most of them) i`ll probably upload it later.

john.

Finished pics dont work for me B) because its looking for file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/g_pics/body_angle.jpg which is only on your computer.

yeah, my bad! the pics were linked from a different folder the the rest of the pics.

i`ll sort it out later when i get home.

thanks.

john. :D

nice guitar dude. i haven't seen a guitar with so many different kinds of wood put together for a body, well except for bass. it must have a very interesting sound.

speaking of african timbers, there is a good selection at my local wood shop. they are using these wood as alternatives to such woods as mahogany, oak, ash to name a few. here are the names of some african timbers at my local wood shop: Anegre, Iroko, Koto, Sapele and Utile. [bubinga is my favourite tone wood of all time, but due too lack of availability i can only get pieces suitable for necks and tops.] i am taking full advantage of African timbers because some of species that are available, their tone/s have not been unlocked yet - used in musical instruments. e.g. Bubinga is used a little bit on guitars, mainly basses. it is a really underated tone wood. their are still tone woods out there which we have not discovered yet. Experiment!

i am using a wood called sipo mahogany for the body of my first guitar project or as the trade name goes; Utile. the wood looks and weighs so much like brazilian mahogany, they only way i could tell it wasn't was by the the interlocked grains on the Utile. i know that Sapele is used on many guitars. Entandrophragma utile - Utile has the same genus as Sapele: Entandrophragma cylindricum. Utile is used as an alternative to brazilian mahogany, and cost about 1/4 of the price of brazilian too. it is a bonus too because all the pieces i have quarter cut and have quite fine grains - taken from virgin forest. so i am hoping i can get a good tone out of this species. well we'll have to wait for the finished product.

sorry for hijacking your thread John.