Gold Vine

Here's something I'm working on between projects:

vine%20009.jpg

vine%20011.jpg

vine%20012.jpg

It's not quite the Jem vine but very close. I used gold MOP, white MOP, and red brass. The side dots are amber LED's. The neck wood is spalted curly maple. The spalt is very subtle in the neck piece but is real nice on the top that goes with it. IT has a hot rod and carbon rods in it.

Sorry the pics are so big, I didn't have time this morning to resize them.

Thanks guys - I hope I can find some time soon to do some more work on the neck. I'm looking forward to seeing how the spalted/curly maple ends up looking from the back.

P.S. - this is the neck that I took the pics from for the tutorial that I hope to do on LEDs.

Yup, the dots are LED's - there's a brief description in the first post.

Saber - thanks - I do think the brass will tarnish but I'll just have to give it a rub I guess. I put several coatings of the stewmac fretboard conditioner which builds up a hard film. I'm hoping it will help preserve it while it lasts.

How do people deal with brass on their guitar bridges, nuts, ... ? Do they just clean it from time to time or do they coat it with something?

about the brass... i was watching discovery channel, and they were about to paint a hood of a car.. but then somebody touched the metal with bare hands...

they said that the oils from the hands would make it tarnish and rust under the finish, and crack it off... so my guess is that if you used some brasso then alcolol or something and cleaned up the brass to the point of no oils on it what so ever, and then put a few thin coats of clear coat over, then there wouldn't be too much worry about tarnish, would there? Because it's finger oils and such that cause tarnish., and the clear coat would protect it and all...

I'm not too worried about it since most wind instruments are made of brass and they find a way to keep them going through the years. The coatings that I already put on it will help a little but I think that stuff wears failry quickly (maybe Drak would know?). I used the stewmac fretboard conditioner - I highly recommend it for ebony - it makes a world of difference in appearance. I put on about 6 coats I think - maybe more.