My First (real) Build

Hi all, just wanted to share with you the progress I'm making on my first real build.

Basically its a replacement for my Jem77BFP. The Jem has a lot of sentimental value so I dont want to be taking it to Pubs all the time....

I seriously considered an Iceman shape as I have always loved them, but the Jem/RG style won out in the end. (because its easier to play while bumming on the couch!) :D

So, without further ado, the concept:

Image1_640.jpg

Yeah, I know, another Jem/RG type thing...... :D

And heres where i'm up to: Current Pic

I have set up a page to chronicle the progress here(so I dont take up Bandwidth here): Guitar Build Page

Note: The actual images behind the thumbnails are large.

I'll be making some updates in the next couple of days, so i'll post here and let you all know.

I think i'll have to divulge some specs, but i'm going to upload recordings of the tap tones of the wood, its something I found interesting so I'd like to share.

Sorry if the link on my site to the Strat Build is not allowed, I did look in the rules first, I will gladly remove it asap if its a prob.

My first thanks (and i've hardly started!) go to Guitarfrenzy for the Strat Build, Maiden69 for proving that Mahogany and Swamp Ash can go together!

In case you can't tell, i'm very excited to finally give something back to the community that has given so much (i think i'm gonna cry... :D )

later, Fraser B)

Edited by Fraser

I really like it... except the handle thing.

I know its part of the design of the jem, but It would look much better without it IMHO.

Are you planning to do the inlay yourself?

Good Luck!

Hey Ben, honestly, with the $ I spent on the timber, i'm confident I won't put a hand hole in it.

As for the inlay, i've still copped out a bit, i'm waiting for the pre-slotted, pre-radiused, pre-carved fingerboard to arrive. Its funny, i'm so used to seeing the vine markers on the fingerboard now that it seems weird playing a guitar without them!

Where are you getting these fingerboards?? Did you custom order it for the vine inlay route? Also, pre-slotted? So the fretboard comes ready to be glued in literally? Also, does that mean it's been crowned and ready to be played too? Sounds like it could save a newbie like me some time.

I'm not too fond of control knobs, but as long as it doesn't get in your way of playing.

Intersting bridge for a JEM. It's just me but I really don't think JEMs look all that good with the 'natural look'

I mean the guitar itself is very modernized/future concept. But whatever floats your boat.

As for the monkey grip, I think this guitar would look better without them, too.

And yes, vine inlay all the way!

Keep the pics coming! And Good job!

redwhite,

i'm getting the fingerboard and inlay from the bay eb@y store

It is slotted, but still needs to be fretted, which is still a time consuming part...it will be a challenge for my patence!

if you can get what you want in a pre slotted, pre radiused then yes, it will save you some time.

i'm pretty sure i'll stay with the strat style of knob, i need three for the electronincs i'm putting in. That is also part of the reason for the bridge choice..(the electronics), i think it will work out neater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, well I've been on holidays for the last week so I have some major updates for you, three new pages worth!

I didnt really let on about any of the specs before, now I am :D :

Shape: Slightly downsized RG/ Jem Shape

Construction: Neck Through

Neck: 7 piece laminate - maple/kwila(merbau)/maple/ironbark/maple/kwila/maple with truss rod from an old snapped RG neck

Nut: Earvana

Body: swamp ash top and back, 15mm mahogany in between

Fingerboard: Ebony with Jem style Vine inlay

Frets: Jumbo Stainless

Bridge: Recessed Tonepros Tune-o-Matic with Graphtech Piezo Saddles

Pickups: Bridge - Dimarzio Norton , Middle - Kinman AVn-69, Neck - Kinman AVn-69 and Dimarzio Fast Track 2

Electronics: Graphtech Acousti-Phonic Preamp, Graphtech Hexpander

Controls:

- 5 way Megaswitch

- Mag Volume with push/push selector for neck pickup

- Acoustic Volume with Push/Push selector for Mid/Dark

- Midi/Synth Volume

- Midi up/down pushbuttons

After my weeks work, I have the truss rod and pickup cavities routed, bridge posts drilled, neck bandsawed into rough shape and will start routing out the control cavities over the weekend.

Here is what it looks like so far:

DSC00050.jpg

I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed doing!

Later, Fraser. :D

Edited by Fraser

Hey Ben, honestly, with the $ I spent on the timber, i'm confident I won't put a hand hole in it.

:D I think it will look great without it.

Looks really good so far! I look forward to seeing the finished guitar.

Great looking project, I must say.

But what's up with this shot??? :D Couldn't photoshop fix that???

http://www.cravethemusic.com.au/guitar/pics/DSC00014.jpg

Keep us updated how that fretboard and inlay works out for you. I had seen these on the bay before, but never heard anyone using them. They look the business, that's for sure.

On last photo.....it seems your volute is high up your neck. Is that the angle of the pic???

For the rest a great looking project, but wash your feet will ya. :D

Edited by RGGR

Looking good, although the taptopnes recording? Neither of those are what I listen for (the body pieces), probably down to not finding a node to hold on to while tapping. What you've recorded are what I'd call 'thuds', by and large, and I'd keep tapping until I got a resonant, sustained note out of the pieces. More bell-like, if that makes any sense. Easy as heck to get out of, say, rosewood, or a good piece of mahogany, Swamp Ash is a bit more variable, ebony can be a bit 'meh'. Much quieter notes, slightly ligher, more percussive taps, hard to record I'll wager, but still.

RGRR, thank you, I like your work so I appreciate the feedback. Photo now fixed(actually, i've done some work on all the photos) and feet washed!

The volute is in the right spot, I have cut it way oversize so I have some room to play around with.

Mattia, yeah the recording was a bit peaky, i'll try again tomorrow to see if I can really get them to ring out. I have now glued the top wing together so i'm going to record how it sounds now... after I do some research on how to tap tone wood properly!

thanks for the feedback guys, :D

Fraser.

Edited by Fraser

RGRR, thank you, I like your work so I appreciate the feedback.

It's great to see people being inspired by my work. ;-)

(and I haven't finished one guitar yet!!!)

Photo now fixed(actually, i've done some work on all the photos) and feet washed!

LOL!

You choose Ash and Mahogany for the body, right?? Why did you do that. I mean, what sound were you after.......Mahogany has this warm decribed sound......and the Ash a more snappy sound. To me these woods would work against each other tonewise??? I would be interested hearing how that sounds in the end.

Keep up the good work.....

One more of us, one less of them. ;-)

Edited by RGGR

• 1 year later...

Well, this build is still going....slowly......and heres a pic

zIMGP0192fixed.jpg

and another:

Second Pic

I have now come to the finishing stage and find myself needing some help deciding which type of finish to go with so:

Vote for the finish on my Guitar

will put up some more pics soon...

l8r,

fraser.

Edited by Fraser

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

Ive decided to go with a gloss finish.

I am starting this weekend on some test pieces left over from the build.

Starting with a Wattyl Sanding Sealer(brush on then sand) and then Cabots Cabothane Gloss(Aerosol).

I would love the finances to go a full spray setup to do two pac but you can't always have everything.....

With Swamp Ash, I figure(pun intended) i could either grain fill with epoxy or sanding sealer/grainfiller.

I have chosen Sanding Sealer. I figure it is easier than epoxy to sand back should the worst case happen.

We'll see how it goes on the test pieces......

I'll post some progress pics of the test pieces.

I'm expecting to have some awesome biceps after the sanding I know is ahead of me!

meanwhile, I channel "the gods of awesome clear finishes on swamp ash" , the likes of which achieved this:

PRS Swamp Ash (768x576)

All, Thanks for the support that has helped me pick 'the hard road' rather than just oil the thing :D

Well, after a couple of days and some test pieces, this is where i'm at:

CopyofIMGP0310.jpg

Clicky

Thats after two coats of the Sanding Sealer and three coates of Cabothane. I'm happy so far.

I did another coat of Cabothane this morning after a good sanding with 800grit. We'll see how that looks tonight. I took some pics after the sanding where you can see the low and high spots, I might post them later...

I'm thinking the next test will be to do a bit better sanding of the test piece then do three coats of the Sanding Sealer and really work on my sanding between coats. While I'm doing that, I can monitor how the finish on the first test pieces soaks in over a longer period of time...not too much I hope!

...still a long way to go!

Edited by Fraser

• 4 weeks later...

well, the clear coats on the test pieces have had 3 weeks or so to cure and they are still too soft methinks, a fingernail will really mark the paint.

......I'm now looking for someone to do it in 2pack poly, oh well.

meanwhile, i have done the routing on the headstock:

headstock.jpg

just deciding if i'm going to put a piece of swamp ash in the rout to make it a little more distinctive from the laminates....i kinda like it as is though....

till next update....

Fraser.

Edited by Fraser

Cool little headstock route. I like how it is as well, but I'd imagine you could put something in there to make it look even better. Something with a lot of contrast might look cool like a nice chunk of ebony, which I would personally pick, I think that would look great. Another idea might be using some mirror, only problem is how deep the route is, might be too deep to simply place some mirror in, but I don't know exactly what is used normally. Cool looking route though, keep updates coming on that. J

Here is a little advise. Don't use the sanding sealer. Get nitro or 2K clear. Seal the grain of the ash with epoxy, I like CA better, but for ash it would take a lot and the fumes are a killer, I only use it for mahogany and other woods with small grain. A lot of times the sanding sealer will make the finish stay a bit softer, and from the looks of the test pieces, it looks like a lot of paint went on in a little amount of time, which will make the finish not cure, because the top coat will dry before the lower ones had a time to dry.

• 5 months later...

hi all, just a quick update:

I let the test pieces to cure for quite a while, Maiden was 100% right, I put a lot of coats on in a short time so the top coats dried before the bottom coats. Even now it is still easily dinted by a fingernail.

So, I still wasn't 100% convinced with the finish on the test pieces.

I got talking to the painting subcontractor that worked on a building job with me. Turns out they do a lot of NC Lacquer work so long story short: they are painting it for me.

I dropped it off yesterday and had a look at it today! schweeeet!

It has a few coats of satin NC Lacquer (by Mirotone) and it looks really nice. They are going to put another couple of coats on and let me have another look before I decide if I am going to go Gloss or leave it satin.

I have the test pieces in gloss, but seeing the whole guitar in satin and still being able to feel the grain of the swamp ash, I gotta say i'm pretty confident I'll stay with the satin.

so basically, I am very excited.

and the aerosol technique I trialled will still be of use on the next one with different timber and using Maidens suggestion.....

oh, and yes, you will get pics very soon.

Fraser.

• 2 months later...