Testing... guitar in progress

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't having the pots on the back going to make it a problem while playing and moving around?

probaly :D

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I am going to put the knobs on the front, but I want to make sure I leave enough room for a selector switch if I decide to add a pickup in the future. That's also why the electronics cavity is so roomy. So I haven't actually gotten to the drilling part yet and I couldn't wait to string it up and plug it in - I needed some instant gratification! It's only temporary. B)

isn't having the pots on the back going to make it a problem while playing and moving around?

probaly :D

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I am going to put the knobs on the front, but I want to make sure I leave enough room for a selector switch if I decide to add a pickup in the future. That's also why the electronics cavity is so roomy. So I haven't actually gotten to the drilling part yet and I couldn't wait to string it up and plug it in - I needed some instant gratification! It's only temporary. :D

oh thank god, i thought u were going mad! B)

toddler, one question about the headstock.  In the little cutout at the end, did you put in a little recess there?  A picture that you posted made it look a little like you did and I started thinking that that might look cool, to match the contours of your cutaways.

Good eye bowser! Although the pics don't represent well, there is indeed a recess which somewhat matches the cutaways. It might appear more prominent once it's finished.

toddler, one question about the headstock.  In the little cutout at the end, did you put in a little recess there?  A picture that you posted made it look a little like you did and I started thinking that that might look cool, to match the contours of your cutaways.

Good eye bowser! Although the pics don't represent well, there is indeed a recess which somewhat matches the cutaways. It might appear more prominent once it's finished.

Cool! Any chance of some more pictures of it?

What are your plans for finish?

I think I'm going with something in the amber/orange range - possibly a light burst. I was thinking about tung oil, but now I'm leaning towards shellac. I've also seen something called urethane oil that Woodcraft sells. Looks interesting.

My vote would be clear satin of some sort, no colors at all.

• 1 month later...

Really Amazing work...

when your pic watch... i am happy.. for view your photo.. ^^

i hoe to see your next project..

very clean work.. and skilled work..

have nice day..

OK. I found some time over the holidays to get back to work. I got some Tru Oil and started the neck.

neck_flame1.jpg

It brought the figure out so well I decided to do the whole back of the body. It even brought out things in the mahogany that I didn't even know were there.

back_full1.jpg

back_bodyonly1.jpg

So, I did the burl cap too.

top_truoilbody1.jpg

Once I get the surfaces fairly level (maybe 10 light coats) I will start in with the shellac. Clear to start and maybe orange around the edges, like a burst. If I like that, I'll leave it. If I think it needs more protection, I'll put some urethane over it. Let me know what you guys think. Hope everyone had fantastic holidays! :D

Edited by toddler68

• 3 weeks later...

no offense to anybody on this board, but i think that this is the BEST guitar i have ever seen in my life. I hope you dont mind that my blueprints for my guitar project copy your flat horn idea. Then, when i had drawn out my headstock, i noticed it's practically the same as yours. DOH!!!! I will us this thread as reference so much it's not even going to be funny. I think this should be entered in GOTM when finished. I love the shape, and the craftsmanship is excellent. Toddler, do you mind if i ask you some questions when i start my build? Keep up the AMAZING work. neal

Yeah, you know when somebody sucks at something and somebody else says "Don't quit your day job." ??? Well "Quit you day job" Seriously, if this is your first one, you could definately be making some money with this. That magnitude of guitar you built costs thousands for a luthier to do. It's never too late man.

no offense to anybody on this board, but i think that this is the BEST guitar i have ever seen in my life. I hope you dont mind that my blueprints for my guitar project copy your flat horn idea. Then, when i had drawn out my headstock, i noticed it's practically the same as yours. DOH!!!! I will us this thread as reference so much it's not even going to be funny. I think this should be entered in GOTM when finished. I love the shape, and the craftsmanship is excellent. Toddler, do you mind if i ask you some questions when i start my build? Keep up the AMAZING work. neal

Yeah, you know when somebody sucks at something and somebody else says "Don't quit your day job." ??? Well "Quit you day job" Seriously, if this is your first one, you could definately be making some money with this. That magnitude of guitar you built costs thousands for a luthier to do. It's never too late man.

Wow, I'm blushing :D Thanks for all the kind words. Believe me, if I thought I could make a living at this I would already be doing it. I am loving the experience though and getting a lot of great compliments from friends, family and even forum members B) I am now in the process of building a guitar for a coworker. It will basically be a copy of mine but with purpleheart instead of paduak, and it will have a transparent purple finish. The neck blank is done (truss rod and carbon rods are in) got a 26 fret rosewood fretboard from LMI waiting for glue (btw, I don't think I'll ever hand cut fret slots again) and I'm cutting the wings this week. I'll try to post that progress as well.

Neal, feel free to ask me any questions. Understand though, that most of what I know I learned right here on this forum. It's a great resource - you wouldn't believe what kind of info you can find. Also, I'd really like to see a pic of your blueprint when you get a chance. You should post one.

By the way, anybody know whatever happened to the 'devil horn' head-banging smiley?