Unleashing the Mod from Hell

Guest AlexVDL

I totally agree with setch!!

No need for getting rid of the pic posting, as long as you keep by the rules and size limits.

A pic says more than a 1000 words... that's what I loved about this forum. There were a lot of pics you could learn from, without even reading the text.

IMO the worst thing you can do to this forum is disposing the pics. I'm a lazy reader, so if I see a big post I'd rather not read it. When there are cool pics attached which attract my interest, I will surely read thru the entire post.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question regarding image posting:  Is the 1 per post rule an absolute?  It seems to me that it will be fairly restrictive to people (like me) posting step by step photo-essays.  Most of the stages of a build require more than one illustrative image, and it seems pointless to show step one, and then force readers to skip back and forward from text to image for the rest of the steps.  Likewise, it seems pointless to make somebody spread a description of one process (eg: neck shaping) across 5 posts, simply because they are limited to one pic for post.  The forum software already limits the number of pics in each post, to a quite sensible 5, which should be enough to illustrate most procedures, and more than enough to document a completed instrument.

I'd much rather see people forced to limit the size (pixel and file) of their images rather than number.  Obviously nobody *needs* to see 12 1024 x 768 pixel images of one guitar in one thread, so people should restrict themselves to 2 or 3 (front/back/closeup of body) and then link to any more.  Again I think the MIMF policy is the benchmark - post as many or as few images as you need, provided they are of reasonable size, and are posted to illustrate a procedure, or showcase a particular detail of an instrument.

Opinions?

We've decided, along with the advice of a few members, that in the Tutorials section there are no limit on pics, except for their size. Please make them 600x horizontally (or less). All other topics, one pic per post, and the rest are linked.

Go into your control panel and click board settings.
Yes, but then NO images are available. With the new rule, the person on dialup can leave the images turned on in their CP, but doesn't have to view 18 pics per page. Not everyone here has broadband, and not everyone here has the time to scroll thru dozens of pics.

This whole pic thing is bullsh*t. I will post as many pics as I want. Like the above states, edit your board settings if ya dont wanna see them.
If you "post as many pics as I want", you will be warned, then suspended, and probably eventually banned. Don't threaten to break the rules. You're just setting yourself up.

With all the shxt you are pulling to "pull the forum together" all you will achieve is breaking it apart and running a damned daycare. The seasoned members will leave. A lot of people enjoy seeing pics of other's work, just as much as they do posting (and vice versa), but wont click a link to see them. The pic thing is the last straw for me. If you wanna ban me, do it. If I dont say what I have to say, I will regret it. If what I have to say doesn't mean jack to you (which I assume it doesnt) fine. You have the forum in your hands, and feel free to fxck it up. So far you have done a whiz bang job of that.
The last 3 pages of this thread is pretty much the only "daycare" I've had to do here. The rest of the Forum is progressing along as normal, abiding by the rules. I'm pretty sure you've all of missed that.

And don't do "shxt" and "fxck". Just makes you look silly.

Letting little kids (or those behaving as such...cant distinguish over the internet) run rampant, post blatantly wrong advice, pseudo theories, ect. is just plain wrong. But that seems to be what you want supported. Enjoy Project Kindergarten.
Show me ONE example of where I supported poor advice, inept theories, etc.

You can call it whatever you want, but the rule changes are simple things you *should have* learned in kindergarten. I guess someone needs a refresher course....

"If I cant say anything nice, dont say anything"....you know how I feel about that. The nicest thing to say doesnt always go down so easy. Unlike the sugar coated anectdotes so preferred here. Bah, fxck that! If I build a shxtty guitar, I wanna know it. I dont wanna hear things like "looks great!", when people are thinking "Good God, that's hideous!" Leave the false pretences at the door
Sorry, no. You may make suggestions, provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but you can not say "Man, your guitar sucks!". Don't worry though- I think it'll be a short thread if you put up a torched body. Not gonna get a lot of 'atta-boys' with that.

Yes, I agree the forum had some problems. It has more now. The sections you are doing away with were helping to create community. Guitarist (or anyone really) talk more that just shop. The best thing that could have been done is to make the search function more into awareness, and fix that it only goes back 30 days. Also, Take care of the "weekly topics" with a FAQ section. What did removing the rant section do? What did the forum badges do? Removing post counts wont fix that, but will in theory fix the post whoring.
The Search function DOES go back further than 30 days; you have to select the time frame. It can't read your mind.

FAQ section is on it's way. Relax.

The rant section wasn't removed; it was closed to further posting. Why? Because this is a GUITAR-BASED FORUM!!!!! There are SIX BILLION other sites available online; I'm sure one of them has an entire forum based on who's got the hottest avatar. Go there. Brian shells out BIG money for bandwidth on this site, and crap like that is a waste of it.

If that makes no sense, kiss my ass, I'm out. I ain't gonna sit here and watch my favorite place on the net be perverted by a nazi.
You're leaving? For realsies this time?

BTW, I dont give a tinker's damn about post counts.
Of course you don't.....Mr. Three Posts In As Many Minutes.

I've been a member on this forum since October 7th, 2003. I remember the 'old' PG, and this is not going to resemble it in any way shape or form.
WOW!!! Almost one whole year. Crazy.

Mike B. tried to help you out, but you simply don't get it, so I'll make it official:

Litch- If you submit single-sentence posts back to back within one hour of each other, you will get a 2 week vacation from this site. I have asked you AT LEAST 3 times to edit your previous post to include your new sentence, but you refuse to do so.

This is your first warning.

And since Private Pyle is having such problems, I'm going to have the other members of the Forum help him out (I hear lots of cries for "community", so here ya go). If Litch gets a 2nd warning from any Admin or Moderator, the flood control will be set to 1 hour between posts. If Litch fails you folks and does get suspeneded due to this, the flood control will be set to 2 hours (or higher). It's up to you to help him (thanks for trying Mike).

surely, if you left the pic rules as they used to be. ie there are none , a dial up used can just hit "stop" if he or she does not want to see all pics

i personally rarely click on picture links

So we went from being 5 minutes apart to one hour? O well. Wasnt even within an hour, check the times. Besides, how is trying to get everyone pissed at me going to make them live you? What a crock Reset my post count to zero. I really dont care.

As for you lack of respect and chosing to piss on me, think again. I really dont appreciate that, and I have pointed out nothing but flaws with this plan of yours.

TSL posted for the first time in months, and you ignored it. Wonder why he left? I dont. He pretty much said it.

So dial up is the bitch for pics? Pfft :D Here I am on a sleasy ass 46.6 dial up on a good day advocating for pics. Ironic, dont you think.

Where the hell do you get off playing God? I really think this forum would actually be in better shape without you.

How's this? When your forum (it is yours now that you took over) falls apart on itself, read what I posted. It will be too late then, but think about it. What do you want? It looks like you want a daycare.

One last thing. If I am not mistaken, Mods and admins are not above the rules. If you feel like slamming me, reopen the slam thread. All you accomplish here is making an ass out of yourself. I mean it. Next time you feel fiesty, go to an appropriate place.

Silent support is just as good as saying "go for it!" to a bad idea. Same goes for bad advice. But apparantly we like that here. I am dead serious about leaving if things dont start looking better.

And since Private Pyle is having such problems, I'm going to have the other members of the Forum help him out (I hear lots of cries for "community", so here ya go). If Litch gets a 2nd warning from any Admin or Moderator, the flood control will be set to 1 hour between posts. If Litch fails you folks and does get suspeneded due to this, the flood control will be set to 2 hours (or higher). It's up to you to help him (thanks for trying Mike).

Disrespect wins you no points. Behaving above the rules doesnt either. Also, how does singling me out as your scapegoat creat community. You logic is faulty.

And since Private Pyle is having such problems, I'm going to have the other members of the Forum help him out (I hear lots of cries for "community", so here ya go).  If Litch gets a 2nd warning from any Admin or Moderator, the flood control will be set to 1 hour between posts.  If Litch fails you folks and does get suspeneded due to this, the flood control will be set to 2 hours (or higher).  It's up to you to help him (thanks for trying Mike).

Well, I haven't posted much in this thread, but I thought I had to reply to this, just...because.

The preceding does absolutely nothing to help you, litch, or the forum as a whole. It was and is the most obnoxious and outright example of how you (kevan), have abused your newly obtained power, as an admin on PG. To me, it seems nothing more than an attempt to turn the forum against a single forum member, who has (obviously) pissed you off in the past. Simple as that.

Now, you can pick apart my post , and tear me a new one, but thats my opinion and its not going to change.

Hi everyone,

how are you all? My name is Luke, and I have already met some great people here, and i think that it is a really great forum. Obviously, as i am so new around here, i dont have any 'clout' or anything like that, but please, lets all calm down a little bit- this is such an informative forum, and it would be a real shame to see it go down hill- I mean, I am only fairly new here, but i can see that you are all VERY pashionate about this place.

I thought that Guitarfrenzy's strat tutrial was a great read, and I thought the results were superb. I think that Anthony's les Paul is the greatest sunburst i have seen, and Litchfield, I have found many of your posts highly informative, and straight to the point.

I think that one of the great things about the 'better' forums is that

1. The people are knowlegeble about the particular subject matter, and

2. The people are genuinely interested in HELPING OTHER PEOPLE to achieve a similar outcome.

At this forum, both of the above are satisfied. I guess much bandspace is taken up with compliments on tasks well executed, but on the flipside, perhaps many of the main contributors would not be interested in helping people and share ideas if they were shown no gratitude for their efforts. Forwhat it is worth, I would say that I personally would rather see many pages of accolades, as opposed to a 'rant section' filled with nonsense.

Anyway, i guess that what i am trying to say is that I highly respect all of the main contributors at this site, and i hope that an amicable resolution can be reached for you all.

Take care,

Luke

Ps Drak- that thing looks cool! :D It isnt real...is it?

Guest AlexVDL

Kevan, untill now I respected you, and I stood up for you when others disagreed with you, but that last crap you wrote makes me think twice about you...

I will not tolerate this behaviour from a mod or administrator :D

I don't know what to think anymore.. so I'll shut up. But I do tell you... if you proceed with that absurd plan, I'll say goodbye to this forum without hesitating!!!

And since Private Pyle is having such problems, I'm going to have the other members of the Forum help him out (I hear lots of cries for "community", so here ya go).  If Litch gets a 2nd warning from any Admin or Moderator, the flood control will be set to 1 hour between posts.  If Litch fails you folks and does get suspeneded due to this, the flood control will be set to 2 hours (or higher).  It's up to you to help him (thanks for trying Mike).

Well, this is it. This is my last post around here as long as the "Mod from hell... :D " is trying to run this kindergarten.

I won't break any of the rules in this one. I won't call Kevan a nazi or call him the brown hole that never sees any daylight.

However, this is turning in something so pathetic that I can only express my feelings with some asci characters.

I understand single line postings are against the great new rules, so I won't break that rule.

......................./´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............/´¯/'...'/´¯`·¸

........./'/.../..../....../¨¯\

.......('(...´...´.... ~/'...')

........\.................'...../

..........\........... .. _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\....

thanks for ruining this formerly great forum.

Litch STFU!!!

Uncalled for

And so I leave you with this. No more pot shots. A size/pixel limit on the pics is a much better idea. One liner posts within 10 minutes of each other are rediculuos....an hour and 12 minutes apart....thats a little far fetched. I have agreed that the forum has problems, and openly disagreed with the chosen methods of fixing them. I have stated that it will only create more problems, and whatever. I am gonna sign off now. I may not leave just yet. Maybe a wake up call is just what was needed.

Well, this is it. This is my last post around here as long as the "Mod from hell... B) " is trying to run this kindergarten.

I won't break any of the rules in this one. I won't call Kevan a nazi or call him the brown hole that never sees any daylight.

However, this is turning in something so pathetic that I can only express my feelings with some asci characters.

I understand single line postings are against the great new rules, so I won't break that rule.

......................./´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............/´¯/'...'/´¯`·¸

........./'/.../..../....../¨¯\

.......('(...´...´.... ~/'...')

........\.................'...../

..........\........... .. _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\....

thanks for ruining this formerly great forum.

a few more posts like this, from builders of that calibre and the site will be greatly improved :D

thanks btw

Geez Whiz folks. I'm not trying to suck up or anything but I can clearly see that the mods here are just trying to drag this forum out of the dark ages. There IS lots of useless crap and clutter here that simply needs to be outright deleted and forgotten. Go to ANY other message board that has a large compliment of actively posting members and you will see what these guys here are trying to achieve.

The message is simple! Post ONE pic of your guitar and supply your links to the rest. If I feel I really want to see the rest then I will click the links. Just make sure your first pic is your best one. I don't need to see pics of the "wood" someone bought for building their proposed project, "huh? wazzat? just a pile of boards!" I consider that a waste of space. OK, I appreciate the shot of maybe a bookmatched maple top with awesome figuring, but thats enough for me. I hope you can get the message across to great builders like hyunsu way out there in Korea. His understanding of the english language is a bit spotty and he has consistenly posted many large pictures of his work. If he provided links I would definitely click them tho!

And I know things aren't going to be as strict as MIMF. They just can't be. :D You can't post any pics there unless you took them yourself and that also includes any form of learning material. I posted a switching system for coil cutting a HB, in response to an interested party, and provided a simple drawing of a DPDT switch that I had lying around my hard drive. They deleted the pic and told me not to post pics unless I took them myself. That basically truncated the thread right there. Then said I had to "describe" the switching. Huh, sorta defeats the learning purpose if you ask me. I don't really know what would take up more bandwidth, all the verbage in the description that one could easily get confused, or a little gif file of 18kb that says it all at one glance. But I guess their main reasoning was due to their paranoia of copyright infringement, a little overboard, IMO.

Anyway, you mods do what you gotta do. I'm not especially fond of whiners and their ilk, they piss me off. Some things just shouldn't be shown in public. If someone states that if they can't play by the rules then they will just take their ball and go home, fine with me. That should be the end of it, good bye and good luck at "that other place".

Anyway, you mods do what you gotta do. I'm not especially fond of whiners and their ilk, they piss me off. Some things just shouldn't be shown in public. If someone states that if they can't play by the rules then they will just take their ball and go home, fine with me. That should be the end of it, good bye and good luck at "that other place".

So who's a whiner?

This was the thread, as stated in the very beginning, to get all your venting done, to let it all hang out, it was OK to do that here, ...and folks are venting.

If you don't care for it, why are you reading the thread?

You can express your opinion w/o having to bash the next fellow, he's just expressing an opinion about something he feels strongly about and cares about, and feels like he's losing something that meant a helluva lot to him, (hell, I kinda feel the same way on certain things)

...I don't see why there's any problem with doing that just because you don't agree with their opinion, you think they have no right to speak their minds?

You just did, didn't you?

I guess pictures of beaten wives and whatnot shouldn't be shown in public either, huh?

Just read my sig. That seems to be exactly whats happening here. Some members are forcing Kevan to respond in kind, seems to be the only language they understand. Shooting insults, pointing "fingers" etc. are not necessary. I'm reading the thread because I feel its important to understand what kind of conduct is expected of me in this forum. These changes WILL happen, we have to accomodate the mods, yes, its called co-operation WITHOUT compromises. Lets get on with it.

Guest AlexVDL
Some members are forcing Kevan to respond in kind, seems to be the only language they understand.

So suspend the son of an itch!! Don't lower yourself to the level of the "idiot"... especially when you're a moderator. That last comment just went too far... I expect such behavior only at a SEAL training camp, not a guitar forum!

So suspend the son of an itch!!

:DB):D:D:D

Christ this place has changed...son of an itch, Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

B)B)B)

And yes, I am not here to practice boot camp tactics, screw that crap..I'm far too anti-social for that!

'Let 'em swing by the neck until dead'... B)

Just read my sig. That seems to be exactly whats happening here. Some members are forcing Kevan to respond in kind, seems to be the only language they understand. Shooting insults, pointing "fingers" etc. are not necessary. I'm reading the thread because I feel its important to understand what kind of conduct is expected of me in this forum. These changes WILL happen, we have to accomodate the mods, yes, its called co-operation WITHOUT compromises. Lets get on with it.

i disagree with this, "without comprimise" , if that means losing the best builders then its stupid

a forum is only as good as its members, if a forum has no decent members, then the forum is pointless

if these rules to make the forum better actually make experienced guys leave, then its just gonna make the forum suck

$0:02

'Cooperation without compromise' also sounds like a military term.

And it has NO place here at PG, although military members certainly are welcome here by -all- means.

-MY- opinion. Ha HA! :D

Again I remind you, this is not the military, it is about guys who like to build guitars.

weezer.. very nicely stated. If the new rules are gonna run off good members, then we probably aren't gaining anything. Maybe this can be all straightened out somehow.. There must be a solution. We can talk problems all day. But until we concentrate on making the site better without making members get so mad they leave, we probably won't get anything accomplished.

Guest AlexVDL
Again I remind you, this is not the military, it is about guys who like to build guitars.

I hope we don't have to disassemble our guitars, and re-assemble it again with our eyes covered :D