Can you play anything?

Alexander

I hate playing my Squier after getting my Ibanez... the frets suck on it, the necks too thick... it sounds crap...

I think I've fell in love with low action and thin necks... I'm not sure if I could go back now :D although... I love playing my aunts Hofner... but that might just be because its sounds gorgeous, looks gorgeous and I want to steal it for its amazing inlays and looks!

[edit]

Also, recently been playing around with different guage strings, and different picks... I'm liking some of the picks I've tried... but I'm back to ernie ball super slinky's... I just cant get on with thicker strings B)

I just wondered how picky you guys were about things like action, neck profile, strings etc... I've discovered that the better I've got at playing, the more picky I am about WHAT I'm playing on...

Your thoughts?

This is true, in my case I'm not good player, I love guitars but don't have the natural ability like others do, (Toni) to mention one here! But the more I know about set up, the pickier I get, it's a builders thing. When you make model cars, you get pickier and start getting into mods and details, the same goes for guitars. + the better you set it up, the better the guitar feels, this is a must when your goal is to later make money out of it... ( I don't plan on staying were I work for ever :D )

As long as the action is reasonable, I'll play it. Have different setups on most of my guitars, teh LP being higher than the others (and having the thickest neck) - it's nice to have something to fight sometimes - especially for practising!

I've discovered that the better I've got at playing, the more picky I am about WHAT I'm playing on...

same thing happened with me...originally i was aone of those All guitars sound ( :D )the same kid of guys but thats changed

i like lower action, thinner necks, actually ore acurately i don't like high action and thic wide necks...

f strings i use 10's ,(normal stuff) but i enjoy experimenting with different things

a friend of mine had been playing wizard necks for so long, whe he picked up my strat, he could barely play a note. i don't want to become like that.

i'll play anything, but i do prefer to play the middle ground, in terms of the neck thickness and action. i prefer 10's for strings, but won't mind using other gauges.

i'm largely a rhythm player. guess that's one of the reasons why i'm not really picky.

low action means the strings dont hit the frets to much causing a buzz, he doesnt mean low in height, he means low in amount, action is buzz from the strings hitting the frets too much, this is also caused a lot by hitting the string really hard

no,action IS string height basically

a friend of mine had been playing wizard necks for so long, whe he picked up my strat, he could barely play a note. i don't want to become like that.

Yes, Ibanez thin necks are like around 17mm - 18mm in the nut, 1st fret area. Strats are in the 20mm and up range. As far as him not being able to play one note on your guitar, it sounds like he's making some good excuses.. lol