Floyd Rose fabricating a Les Paul trem?

I think hes trying to say why use the LP style one if your going to have to route ? You might as well just get the flatmount one since your gonna hafta route either way.

I cant blame you for not wanting to dig into your LP.

The reason for using the LP is because you have to route a small area, if you were to mount a flat mount then you would have to take away the carved top...

• 4 weeks later...
It was a great experience being able to chat face-to-face with such a brilliant innovator. He's a true genius and a true gentleman.
And what am I? Chopped liver?

LOL

Here's something I found perusing a Japanese site earlier...

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/2002catalog/060.html

As much as I dislike the feel of LP's, one with a FR on it...hmmm...maybe for a song or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great as it looks, and with Floyd's (no doubt) whole world of springs, well more than I can access :D , the problem is one of leverage.

The Strat' and hence Floyds and others utilize the block as a, relatively, huge lever and those fender springs are tough. That is the amazing beauty of the original design and, great as Mr Rose's contributions, they are all based on Leo's elegant foundation.

The design here seems to use little leverage and a lot of smaller springs to fit within the limitations of the design brief (i.e. no routing). I don't think you would really get a Floyd type feel at all with this arrangement and problems of returning to pitch would be multiplied by the small movement compared to the large movement in a levered arrangement. (errr if you see what I mean...I could try and explain it better if you like) :D

Perhaps he will come up with something, but I'd be looking at a different spring style if I were him...clearly I'm not, however! B)

psw

• 3 weeks later...

I like KAhlers, but the issue with the Floyd sis that you don't have to rout the top. This is why I like it better for a Gibson. If you think about resale in the end, a lot of people that like LPs don't like them with a trem.

But I really don't care anymore, I think that the Epi is going to be salvaged in a few months, since I'm loving the feel and sound of my guitar (carved Jackson copy) is light years ahed of the Epi. Even the Classic @ a $549. value.

• 1 month later...