Removing finish from black hardware

I did something like that once. I had this black dome knob off a Squire strat that was scratched-up and crappy looking, so I put it in a jar with this chemical stuff and left it soak in that for a day or two. When I took it out, I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and all the black coating came off, and I had a brass colored knob. That black coating was pretty thin to begin with. The chemical was some kind of stuff used for treating rust. It turns rust into some kind of gray zinc or something like that. I can't give you the exact name, because I'm away from home right now.

But that same chemical, I used for other things. I once had a trem spring that had some moderate surface rust on it. after using that chemical on it, I had a rust-free trem spring that was dark gray. Probably great for someone making a "gothic" looking guitar.

I also threw a bunch of rusted screws in that chemical stuff and then had neat looking dark grey screws that I even used for my neck-jig tool.

Apparently Coca Cola is very good at stripping rust and some other finished from metal! (yep, I thought it was a joke too when I first heard it). :D

There are several people who are into car restoration who swear by this technique to remove rust on small parts.

Havn't tried it myself so can't vouch for it working.

Genbloke

Apparently Coca Cola is very good at stripping rust and some other finished from metal! (yep, I thought it was a joke too when I first heard it). :D

There are several people who are into car restoration who swear by this technique to remove rust on small parts.

Genbloke

Coca Cola... If I recall good, that was dissmissed as a myth on the MythBusters TV show...

Good job, got a close up look... did you polished them too. I was going to suggest you sand blast them, this will also give it a more satin look if you don't like the shinny one.

Apparently Coca Cola is very good at stripping rust and some other finished from metal! (yep, I thought it was a joke too when I first heard it). B)

Genbloke

Coca Cola... If I recall good, that was dissmissed as a myth on the MythBusters TV show...

Good job, got a close up look... did you polished them too. I was going to suggest you sand blast them, this will also give it a more satin look if you don't like the shinny one.

Grr you beat me to the mythbsters thing.

But didnt they use the coca cola to remove grease and oil from that truck engine? i dont think it was rust but it mite have been. :D

Don't forget to spray it with some kind of brass lacquer, or it will tarnish up and you'll be polishing it once a month forever. There're lots of product you can use. Defthane clear satin would put a nice satin finish over it like sandblasting. Otherwise most clears will work but they sell special brass lacquer. I don't know what makes it different.

• 1 year later...

I did something like that once. I had this black dome knob off a Squire strat that was scratched-up and crappy looking, so I put it in a jar with this chemical stuff and left it soak in that for a day or two. When I took it out, I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and all the black coating came off, and I had a brass colored knob. That black coating was pretty thin to begin with. The chemical was some kind of stuff used for treating rust. It turns rust into some kind of gray zinc or something like that. I can't give you the exact name, because I'm away from home right now.

But that same chemical, I used for other things. I once had a trem spring that had some moderate surface rust on it. after using that chemical on it, I had a rust-free trem spring that was dark gray. Probably great for someone making a "gothic" looking guitar.

I also threw a bunch of rusted screws in that chemical stuff and then had neat looking dark grey screws that I even used for my neck-jig tool.

what chemical is that? wonder if it will actually help make hardware look like the cosmo finish that is on ibanez hardware?

Assuming the black comes off as easily as the gold does, you could always try a dremel tool with one of those circular "wire" attachments, whatever they're called. It's like a disc-shaped wire brush. Stripped off the gold from a few screws I needed in a jiffy.

Due to the shape of it, it was tough to get into small crevices, but overall it worked quickly.

Greg

IIRC the coke thing was that it works, but it doesn't work any better than normal products. I've seen an old plane de-rusted very well by being immersed in 3 liters of coke for a week, and we've all cleaned pennies in the stuff. Regular 'ol weak acid should do the trick, though...